Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

3 Team/10 Player Trade Done - Wil Myers to SD, Trea Turner to WASH, S. Souza to TB + More

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
The dirty little secret is that the Rays haven't drafted that well in recent years. The franchise killer may have been passing on Buster Posey in 2008. I know Buster wasn't the consensus #1 pick, but that is because many people are morons.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
The dirty little secret is that the Rays haven't drafted that well in recent years. The franchise killer may have been passing on Buster Posey in 2008. I know Buster wasn't the consensus #1 pick, but that is because many people are morons.

Yeah, Posey would have been huge for the Rays. Draft is a crap shoot though. Looking back at that 2008 draft first round there isn't much there other than posey. Hosmer and Alvarez are solid, but no other stars in the mix.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
Well, if he can be a good middle of the order hitter, the Rays should keep him. I watch the Rays all the time, living here in FL. He plays the game like he could totally care less. Not to mention that he struggles with anything down in the zone. Maybe he gives off a lazy vibe on the field but actually works at his craft (a la Manny Ramirez or Robinson Cano), but if he isn't dedicated to his craft, get him out of town.

Okay sir. I will be sure to come back to this thread once he mashes this year. One of the best young hitters in the bigs. Disappointing that he got hurt.

not in response to you, but to this thread:

As a yankees fan, I am thrilled that the Rays are folding. They should be irrelevant this year. The O's should also be worse. I don't think any team in the East can actually contend with the rest of the AL unless the Sox can add a frontline starter. The Blue Jays got a little better but not drastically and the rotation is still below average. The Yankees still have issues with the rotation but defense and offense and bullpen will be fine. The Sox got marginally better. Their rotation is still below average IMO and the offense is slightly better. Pablo is slightly above average and DL Hanley will only play 120 games and he's in LF so the defense will be rough.

The east is going to be a roller coaster this year.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Okay sir. I will be sure to come back to this thread once he mashes this year. One of the best young hitters in the bigs. Disappointing that he got hurt.

not in response to you, but to this thread:

As a yankees fan, I am thrilled that the Rays are folding. They should be irrelevant this year. The O's should also be worse. I don't think any team in the East can actually contend with the rest of the AL unless the Sox can add a frontline starter. The Blue Jays got a little better but not drastically and the rotation is still below average. The Yankees still have issues with the rotation but defense and offense and bullpen will be fine. The Sox got marginally better. Their rotation is still below average IMO and the offense is slightly better. Pablo is slightly above average and DL Hanley will only play 120 games and he's in LF so the defense will be rough.

The east is going to be a roller coaster this year.

Finally another positive Yankee fan! I'm so tired of people being down on them for not signing a big name but it's been a while since that has worked. I like how the team is shaping up outside of their number 4 and 5 starters, solid defense, ok offensive (hopefully) and the pen looks legit. Obviously Mr Cashman isn't done yet so it might even look better. I'd love for A-Rod to come back and actually contribute

WaxPax

Local sports talk here in Tampa reporting the third team is Seattle....

The plot thickens.

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan
Sense among those in the know is that while Padres-Rays deal involving Wil Myers is straight-up, players dealt could be on the move again. Could be a similar situation to what happened with Andrew Heaney: traded to one team, onto another. GMs these days always five steps ahead.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Freedom Card Board mobile app

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
DECEMBER 16, 7:33am: It appears that the Nationals have wedged themselves into the deal and would receive “one of the pieces” involved in the trade, Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports tweets.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
San Diego Padres closing in on trade for outfielder Wil Myers from the Tampa Bay Rays - ESPN

The San Diego Padres are closing in on a trade to acquire outfielder Wil Myers from the Tampa Bay Rays, two baseball sources confirmed to ESPN.com.

A third source with direct knowledge of the discussions said the clubs are still "working through some things" and could have something to announce later Wednesday.
The Padres will send minor league first baseman Jake Bauers, right-handers Joe Ross and Burch Smith and two other players to Tampa Bay once the deal is concluded, a source told ESPN Insider Jim Bowden.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
The Padres will send minor league first baseman Jake Bauers, right-handers Joe Ross and two other players to Tampa Bay once the deal is concluded, a source told ESPN Insider Jim Bowden.

Like taking candy from a baby*.

*Silverman

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
Finally another positive Yankee fan! I'm so tired of people being down on them for not signing a big name but it's been a while since that has worked. I like how the team is shaping up outside of their number 4 and 5 starters, solid defense, ok offensive (hopefully) and the pen looks legit. Obviously Mr Cashman isn't done yet so it might even look better. I'd love for A-Rod to come back and actually contribute

lol yeah I was so glad they stayed away from Hanley and Pablo and Lester. These big deals NEVER EVER work out. We are seeing that with Tex, Sabathia, ARod, etc.

I love these shorter 4-5 year deals for 10 or so mil a year. That is very affordable for the yanks and if they ever need to move the piece it's much easier to move a guy with 2 years and 25 million left than a guy with 3 years and 75 million left.

Our defense looks like it will be one of the best in baseball. Tex, Prado, Headley, Gregorious? Show me an IF better than that defensively. Plus with Gardner and Els, I'm excited for this year.

I think our rotation right now is Tanaka, Pineda, Sabathia, ???, Capuano. Capuano is fine as a 5th starter as he pitched solid last year and is cheap. Hopefully they can get a solid number four. I don't really want to see Kuroda back as he seems to continually run out of gas after the first half and then gets shelled.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
UPDATE: Deal appears to be done. Trea Turner can't officially be traded until 6/13 next year due to being drafted this year, so he's a PTBNL.

Padres, Rays, Nationals Agree To Three-Team Trade
By Jeff Todd [December 17, 2014 at 4:52pm CST]
The Padres, Rays, and Nationals have agreed to a much-anticipated three-team swap — pending physical — that will deliver important pieces to and from each club, Jim Bowden of ESPN.com reports on Twitter. The precise details of the transaction are still rolling out, but a rough structure of the deal seemed to have taken form in recent hours.

Young outfielder Wil Myers will head to San Diego as the centerpiece of the trade, and indeed the entire pact will depend upon the health of his balky wrist, Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports notes on Twitter. The teams will swap catchers Ryan Hanigan and Rene Rivera, and the Rays will return Burch Smith, Jake Bauers, and Jose Castillo. San Diego will add righty Gerardo Reyes from Tampa as well, Bowden tweets.

Meanwhile, the Nationals will add righty Joe Ross and shortstop Trea Turner (as a PTBNL) in the deal, per Bowden, with both players going from the Padres to D.C. via Tampa. In return, the Rays will add outfielder Steven Souza and young lefty Travis Ott.

jaydub

Jun 18, 2010
Arvada, CO
I like the Nats return on this trade the best as they got a good bit more in talent than they gave up. Padres get Myers but give up a lot of quality prospects and Rays come in 3rd place for sure.

seitas

Aug 7, 2008
How weird for Turner to have to play almost half a season next year for a team that traded you. How will that work?

Members online

Latest posts