Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dec 4, 2008
Saw a few cards I liked in a large Rafael Palmeiro collection and picked them up. You just don't see 1996 Fleer Ultra Thunderclap Gold Medallions very often!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331764009011

The 1996 Hitting Machines Gold Med, allegedly 4x on the pull odds, is also in this lot but with the retail only distribution for the Thunderclaps for my money those are the really tough ones.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
Try collecting some of the no-namers. They are really hard to track down. Especially older oddballs. I'd rather collect a bigger name player. At least I'd have a fighting chance.

Your not looking in the right spots I see tons of commons and oddball cards. It's a better problem to have to wait a find one than to know where 15 of one card is but not be able to afford it because the price is basically $20,000 or more for any of them as my 1996 Mirror Gold Jeter will probably cost me. Ask any big player collector that doesn't have there guys Mirror Gold card and they will tell you. I much rather wait 5 years or more and be able to pick a card up for a few dollars than see it come and go and know I can't afford it as it's way out my price range. Unless I hit it big I will never see that card or trade some of my big cards for it with cash to pay still as well. It will be my masterpiece of my collection if I ever get it.

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
Your not looking in the right spots I see tons of commons and oddball cards. It's a better problem to have to wait a find one than to know where 15 of one card is but not be able to afford it because the price is basically $20,000 or more for any of them as my 1996 Mirror Gold Jeter will probably cost me. Ask any big player collector that doesn't have there guys Mirror Gold card and they will tell you. I much rather wait 5 years or more and be able to pick a card up for a few dollars than see it come and go and know I can't afford it as it's way out my price range. Unless I hit it big I will never see that card or trade some of my big cards for it with cash to pay still as well. It will be my masterpiece of my collection if I ever get it.

I'm pretty sure the point he was making was that players like Jeter will always have the exposure and the availability because most sellers know that there's money to be made off of hall of fame players. I can almost guarantee you if a seller has a Derek Jeter 1997 Pinnacle Inside Club Edition and a Jeff Conine 1997 Pinnacle Club Edition the Jeter will get posted for sale first, and the probability of the Conine getting listed would be at best 50/50, because a quick scan of previously sold Conine auction wouldn't yield even close to the final auction value of any Jeter cards. That's what makes no-namers tougher to collect - the product is out there but will it ever get listed?

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
I'm pretty sure the point he was making was that players like Jeter will always have the exposure and the availability because most sellers know that there's money to be made off of hall of fame players. I can almost guarantee you if a seller has a Derek Jeter 1997 Pinnacle Inside Club Edition and a Jeff Conine 1997 Pinnacle Club Edition the Jeter will get posted for sale first, and the probability of the Conine getting listed would be at best 50/50, because a quick scan of previously sold Conine auction wouldn't yield even close to the final auction value of any Jeter cards. That's what makes no-namers tougher to collect - the product is out there but will it ever get listed?

This is 100% correct. When stars get 10-20x + the commons they aren't getting listed. Plus if we are talking 90s inserts I've noticed any mainstream(shows) outlets basically consider this era worthless.

I tried collecting Roberto Alomar once. I picked up a bunch of rarer stuff over a couple month period. I wasn't spending a ton per card but enough to hope I got some back. The flip side is when you go to sell unless you picked up dirt cheap your loosing money.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008

You're collecting one of the most expensive players you can collect. That's a decision you must make based on your income. Secondly, I collect Bagwell and while he isn't exactly Jeter, his stuff is pricey. Pricier than it was when I started. So I know what it can be like not being able to afford stuff if it does come up. Right now I'm letting a ton of stuff go and a friendly rival here is gobbling it right up because I can't afford it.

Funny this came up though. I haven't seen a 96 mirror gold Bagwell pop in years. And if one does, it will easily be the most expensive card he has. I've been offered one when I was basically broke and told the guy no. Either way, it's not only going to be expensive, it's also of a bigger name player and still does not pop up. A rare combo IMO.

I also collect a slew of other guys. Some of those are old Astros players. Trust me, there are cards that damn near do not exist. And I have no idea if I'll ever see them pop. A least with Bagwell, if I don't own it, I had a chance to. And I do consider the situation as just like that. Because had I just set money aside, when the rare stuff does come up, instead of having a 100 random cards, I'd be able to knock a whale off my list.

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL

I've been collecting Frank Sanders football cards since 1995. He's a semi-star. Has about 1000 cards from the 90s and early 00s. The cards are cheap when you can find them, but I bet there are 100 of his cards that I've never seen in 20 years and may never see. I'd venture to say that 99.999% of Jeter cards have hit the market.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
I've been collecting Frank Sanders football cards since 1995. He's a semi-star. Has about 1000 cards from the 90s and early 00s. The cards are cheap when you can find them, but I bet there are 100 of his cards that I've never seen in 20 years and may never see. I'd venture to say that 99.999% of Jeter cards have hit the market.
I agree

This past week on eBay a 1999 Gold Label Red /25 Lankford was posted at auction. I have never seen one and it cost a TON. There are many other Lankfors insert cards that I have never seen.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
All of the above is why I miss cards shows at malls. I also collect Lance Parrish. At shows I could spend hours going through 10 cent boxes {15 for a dollar}. And loved it. On line Not so much.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Hi everyone. I joined the forum today after lurking for many years. This is BY FAR my favorite thread on any forum. I have to say, the commitment, passion, and knowledge of those sharing their cards here is so cool. I learn something new all the time here.

I primarily collect Ryne Sandberg cards, and tough 90's inserts and parallels are among my favorite items of his to chase. Here are some of my favorites. Thanks!

View attachment 58938

View attachment 58939
View attachment 58940

Nice stuff, this be the place. Welcome!

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011

I see 10 pages of cards for Jeff Conine on http://sportlots.com/ I can understand why most don't list them but that's what craigslist is for as well post an add looking for Jeff Connine cards 1997 Pinnacle Inside Club Edition is hard to find for Jeter it was on my list for years before I picked one up. Rare cards no matter if there common or not do get listed quite often no matter who it is. The fact that Jeter has so many collector's collecting him they buy and most don't resell or they put such a high price your not interested in buying it. There are quite a few rare cards I see there. I am pretty sure it's not the rare cards you are looking for as I am pretty sure those pop up more often than his commons. Do you have a needs list as well as I am willing to help anyone find cards there looking for to help with there collection. Who knows I might have some but I would need to look and that will take a long time. The fact of the 15 Mirror Golds I know where they are only 1 was for sale and it was a lot more than I could pay. I haven't seen a Crusade Red get listed for years not to mention a bunch of others. I know why on a lot of them because it's 1 or 2 people buying all the cards and never been seen by another for years. I don't think it's any easier or harder to collect superstars or commons each has it's challenges so if anything I would say there equally as hard to find for me people holding and not selling for someone like Jeff Conine it's the profit they will make why would I list an item on ebay that most people won't buy for $1.00 to include shipping. http://sportlots.com/ is a great place if your looking for commons

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
[MENTION=1742]predatorkj[/MENTION] or [MENTION=6554]chris19978[/MENTION] for the long response win? Who ya' got ;)

Just messin' w/ you guys.

Ryan

Michael.petkus

Jan 30, 2016
Thanks for the nice welcome everyone. Does anyone have a rough estimate of the print run of the 1997 Pinnacle Select Mirror Golds? They seem to be more readily available than their predecessors of 1996 Select Certified Mirrors.

image.jpg

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
I believe George said around 75-90, somewhere in that range. Still difficult for 90's standards, and probably undervalued compared to other inserts with similar print runs.

zlpeterson

Sep 23, 2015
San Francisco
I found a card I need on a foreign website that appears to be for sale, but I can't read it let alone tell what language it is. Any help? It's about the 10th card down - you'll know it when you see it...

http://www.rookiestarcards.com/hpgen/HPB/entries/84.html

If you use Chrome you can translate pages to english. I'm sure other browsers do it as well but I'm familiar with chrome. It's not always perfect but it's legible

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Here is what it says:

Rusty Greer Precious Metal Gems Card! 50 sheets limitation !
came out! Precious metal ! In the current surge of popularity , price even during the soaring !
Emergence from MLB 1998 Skybox Metal Universe!

Ryan

zlpeterson

Sep 23, 2015
San Francisco
[MENTION=4682]RustyGreerFan[/MENTION] it also appears that particular one was listed back in 2011 and is no longer available. The page is in Japanese and is the pricing of available cards (Yen)

Members online