Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player Collector at a crossroads...I need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I'd keep it.

But if you do decide to sell, I'm still looking for a 2008 stadium club beam team black and white auto #'d /99 if you have one you feel like coughing up.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
I'm in a similar situation with my Jemile Weeks collection. I decided to stick with only cards in A's uni so 2013 and back for me.

I think you should keep picking up stuff that you like but not every single card. Spread it out evenly between hamilton, pudge, & a new player. Just don't go overboard on any.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
This is the danger of a hard core current player collector. Unless there is a serious personal tie it can end in a situation like this. I've seen so many collectors stuck with a pile of cards they no longer want due to several reasons---A bobby abreu guy, an A-Rod guy who has a mountain of early inserts and SP stuff that he's not sure if he should continue to finish the collection as he is in so deep money and time wise or stop and sell as Arod has become a joke. I had a great player collection going that I was building to completion- parallels, inserts, base autos and the like that I stopped in 2011. I enjoyed the helll out of the collecting part but saw the writing on the wall and the eventuality that I'd either be bored or even worse, he would go on to play for another team or fizzle out. I'm glad I ceased that player collection and sold mostly out while card prices were still good. Now? Team collector, vintage guy and have nice player collection of my retired favorite player that I have a long term affection for and he can't screw me over by doing something awful like play for the mets

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
Having a low "A" team in town means new players every year . So I just try to collect a few cards of each and now collect ticket stubs signed by them .

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
I have to tell you that I am very impressed with the comments I have received so far. Every response has been helpful and thoughtful. I am on other websites like Blowout and if I would have brought up a topic like this I would have received a couple of good responses, but most of it would have likely been sarcastic crap.

FCB is where I go for real hobby conversations. I just want you all to know how much I appreciate you. Thanks.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
I have to agree with a lot of the comments also. I say keep the JH collection and work on his cards that focus on the team you like. Who knows, he could even come back. Two players I collected in the late 90s/ early 00s were Nick Johnson and Alfonso Soriano. After both left for different teams I had them on the back burner. Johnson made a short Yankee comeback which had sellers resurfacing some cards I never saw. Now that Soriano is back with the Yankees I have dusted off the album and been adding some nice new stuff. Dabbling with these guys again gives me a break from my main focus guys O'neill and Bernie.

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
I would keep the Hamilton cards from his Ranger years and focus solely on those. Maybe sell off some of the Reds or Rays cards to fund another player.

I miss collecting Hamilton to but just couldn't keep it up once he went to the Angels. Your never going to see the money you invested unless he has a couple of MVP type seasons or the movie(if it's still in production) is a big hit.

The Rangers have several young players who should be fun to watch sne collect. I'm hoping local UT-Arlington native Michael Choice turns into a
great player. He should have RC in a Ranger uniform in 2014 products.

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
I would keep the Hamilton cards from his Ranger years and focus solely on those. Maybe sell off some of the Reds or Rays cards to fund another player.

I miss collecting Hamilton to but just couldn't keep it up once he went to the Angels. Your never going to see the money you invested unless he has a couple of MVP type seasons or the movie(if it's still in production) is a big hit.

The Rangers have several young players who should be fun to watch and collect. I'm hoping local UT-Arlington native Michael Choice turns into a
great player. He should have RC in a Ranger uniform in 2014 products.
Of course you have Gallo, Alfaro, Beras, Williams, and plenty of others to consider.

I still need to sell off my Hamilton game used and inserts, Kinsler, Cruz, and Murphy stuff. Putting it into perspective it's crazy how fast the Rangers have blown up what was once a 2 time World Series team.

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
Thanks for all of the great feedback. I think I am going to concentrate on Josh Hamilton 2013 and back, but not be opposed to picking up newer stuff. I will also shift a little more to Pudge and my HOFer auto collection.

Thanks again guys!!

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Thanks for all of the great feedback. I think I am going to concentrate on Josh Hamilton 2013 and back, but not be opposed to picking up newer stuff. I will also shift a little more to Pudge and my HOFer auto collection.

Thanks again guys!!
Sounds like a great idea.

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA

Thanks again guys!!

I think that's a great idea. With how often players move around these days, it's almost impossible for one guy to spend his entire career with one team. From a player collector standpoint, I think it just becomes a questions of whether or not you decide to continue collecting the player after he leaves.

For my Jack Wilson collection, I decided to continue my collection, but only add post-Pirate cards that I could find on the cheap. It ended up that he only played another three seasons after that, and only had cards in a handful of releases. Since he retired, I've started tracking down some of the lower numbered Mariners and Braves cards that I had previously planned on excluding from my collection since the player collection now has a definitive "end point." Of course this is not such an easy task for bigger name players.

At the end of the day I figure if you still enjoy collecting the player in some way, shape, or form you can't go wrong.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Since you're a big Rangers collector, keep all his Texas cards and sell off his dreaded rival Angels stuff next season when he has a hot streak.
Then focus your player collections to Rangers players, continuing your Hamilton, Pudge, Young and Gonzalez collections.

Members online

Latest posts