Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Vintage and hall of fame patches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Gents, I am far from a Ribinson bat expert but I do know that R17 was the numbering for the stock and spline bats whereas C117 and R115 are the $70-$100K Robinson gamers. That is not to say R17 is not a gamer but I suggest some research. Also, I do know that the Dodgers often wrote the player number in blue ink in small writing on the edge of the knob. Robinson does have known bats with big bold marker but this is less of an indicator for him when compared to the blue ink.

Might ask [MENTION=2055]metallicalex777[/MENTION] to photo match since he has some good sources.

16christensen16

Mar 23, 2015
spencer iowa
George is correct that the majority of the bats Robinson used were not R17. However through my own research, and I know mlballtimegreats did the same, jackie did use the R17 on a couple occasions. The auction that indymanning posted is legit. I did find that for almost the entire 53 season jackie used the R17 model. Then occasionally throughout the middle 50's he also used it.

I welcome anyone else's findings or opinions or thoughts or concerns. Thanks

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
I need to do more research when I have time but my thing is when Jackie anything high end comes up and you are into Jackie grab it as you might not see it again. I know the knob on the five star looks used as heck so someone used the damn bat, lol. If I get a chance in the next week or so I'll do some good research.
With that said both of these pieces are incredible and I think Christensen and I are absolutely happy owning them. I mean when I first started to collecting I never thought I would own something of this magnitude!

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana

A $30k auction from 2012 and a $140k auction from 2014. The vintage game used community seems to avoid R17.
https://goldinauctions.com/mobile/l...56_jackie_robinson_bat__psa_dna_gu_10___the_f

http://www.psacard.com/probatfacts/hall-of-fame-players/jackie-robinson/1571

Tony, I am glad that you are happy and not trying to poopoo the items.

16christensen16

Mar 23, 2015
spencer iowa
I'm going to agree with mlballtimegreats. I'm happy to own my version and plan on owning the card for a long time. I can live with the research that I did, and I'm also 100% aware that R17 bats were only used occasionally during jackies career. Like mlballtimegreats said...how many jackie knobs are out there? Not many and I'm glad to have my copy

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Why can't I think of what FOIA mean ? And yes if there was anything I could change would be legitimizing what's on a card. The picture, year, etc of what's on the GU item. I know it's all been said before, but sucks regardless they won't back up their end.

Ryan

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
I am trying to find the thread(s) but I know the topic of R17 has been a point of discussion on the vintage game used sites. One in particular explained why R17 sells for 1/3 the price of the three-digit labeled bats. I will keep digging.

16christensen16

Mar 23, 2015
spencer iowa
I am trying to find the thread(s) but I know the topic of R17 has been a point of discussion on the vintage game used sites. One in particular explained why R17 sells for 1/3 the price of the three-digit labeled bats. I will keep digging.

Yes keep digging please! I like lots of information :) and totally yes why can't we have pictures and actual explanations of what we buy on cardboard!

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Why can't I think of what FOIA mean ? And yes if there was anything I could change would be legitimizing what's on a card. The picture, year, etc of what's on the GU item. I know it's all been said before, but sucks regardless they won't back up their end.

Ryan

FOIA is not the correct term for publicly held companies but there is a way. I am researching.

Members online