Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is it too much to ask?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
How hard is it to put a card in a toploader? I have ordered this card twice. The first seller shipped it in a penny sleve between two pieces of cereal box. It totally creased due to no support. So I sent it back for a refund.

Then I bought a second one from a different seller. This time it came in a cardsaver, and same results. This one creased as well. Do these cards come pre creased from the packs, or are these Sellers just plain stupid?
1405447647548.jpg

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ
That's interesting, because I bought a Goldschmidt commemorative patch from the set last week and I got the 2 pieces of flimsy cardboard as well, but not even a penny sleeve. Thankfully, it was completely fine, but it seems to be a pattern with these cards.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I don't understand people who can't put a card in a top loader. I've received some cards in creative padding set-ups like using cardboard, or magazine papers or whatever... sometimes i just don't get it.

Sorry about your luck... I'm assuming, to answer your question, that the cards do not come creased.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I understand that finding Thicker top loads is sometimes tough to do, but still the best thing to do.

As a seller, you end up losing money due to it anyway...

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I recently bought a $700 Magic card that arrived in a priority mail box, but between 2 pieces of cereal box-type cardboard held together with masking tape, loose, just sliding around. It has a foil surface, and I was cringing when I opened it. The friggin thing wasn't even in a penny sleeve, just naked in there. Turned out to be completely mint. My postal karma must have been through the roof, and it's probably in debit now. Still, what in God's name would a person be thinking to just drop such a thing loose between 2 pieces of cardboard and say to themselves,"Yeah, it'll be fine." I could never think of doing such a thing with a $7 card, let alone a mortgage payment type card.

My favorite was the set of cards I bought that arrived in 4 little piles tied up with rubber bands, and sandwiched between 2 pieces of chipboard. The seller descrived the cards as mint, but obviously didn't care if they arrived that way. Or the comic book I bought "protected" by 2 pieces of cardboard smaller than the book itself. Like the book was protecting the cardboard. That arrived dinged on 2 corners, could've been worse.

This goes in cycles, though. Sometimes everything I get is so well-protected I have a hard time unpacking it. Other times it's like they are all taking part in a contest for crappiest packing ever.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
Even if you don't have a top loader for a thicker card you can always tape it between two regular sized top loaders. It isn't rocket science. Some people are just lazy or cheap or both.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
are these Sellers just plain stupid?

you should check the seller sales history before placing bids or buying.

If someone sells general crap and trash, it's likely they don't know better because they rarely sell cards.

If it's a seller that sells tons of sports cards, it's just stupidity since they should know better.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Im glad to see its not just these cards. As sick as it sounds, i enjoy reading about the horror stories you all have shared. Plus, its nice to vent about it here where others share the same sentiment.

and yes, i too have had over protected cards arrive. Taped up so tightly that i had to use a razor and carefully cut and trim to free the prize inside.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
I recently bought a $700 Magic card that arrived in a priority mail box, but between 2 pieces of cereal box-type cardboard held together with masking tape, loose, just sliding around. It has a foil surface, and I was cringing when I opened it. The friggin thing wasn't even in a penny sleeve, just naked in there. Turned out to be completely mint. My postal karma must have been through the roof, and it's probably in debit now. Still, what in God's name would a person be thinking to just drop such a thing loose between 2 pieces of cardboard and say to themselves,"Yeah, it'll be fine." I could never think of doing such a thing with a $7 card, let alone a mortgage payment type card.

My favorite was the set of cards I bought that arrived in 4 little piles tied up with rubber bands, and sandwiched between 2 pieces of chipboard. The seller descrived the cards as mint, but obviously didn't care if they arrived that way. Or the comic book I bought "protected" by 2 pieces of cardboard smaller than the book itself. Like the book was protecting the cardboard. That arrived dinged on 2 corners, could've been worse.

This goes in cycles, though. Sometimes everything I get is so well-protected I have a hard time unpacking it. Other times it's like they are all taking part in a contest for crappiest packing ever.

Jtms?

WillBBC

Feb 22, 2012
My pet peeve is when the seller uses 17 rolls of tape. Need a surgeon to delicately cut and unwrap without damaging anything.
Painters tape works the best. Hands down. A roll of it lasts a long time

I can never understand this. My fiance always gets a laugh out of how angry this makes me. The anger is justifiable when it takes me 20 minutes to open a package simply because the seller thinks it's wise to wrap a PSA graded card in an entire roll of bubble wrap followed by an entire roll of packaging tape followed by another roll of bubble wrap. It's ridiculous.

brian26

Nov 12, 2010
My favorite is when a set gets shipped in a 600-count or 800-count box with no double-boxing...just a mail label and postage on the outside....and always the corners totally banged up, which means that last 50 cards on that end of the box are dinged. Unnreal. How hard is it to double-box?

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
You might say crazy. I say I'm an "advanced collector." Foil FoWs are rare, will continue to be rare, and while they may or may not increase in value, I enjoy owning one.

Members online

Latest posts