Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Vintage Pick Up Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
This was a great vintage photo of Hack Wilson and his son I bought, an image I hadn't seen before. It's not a Type 1 photo, but a Type 2 (later printing from original negative). Love the smile on Hack and especially his son Robert, the vintage Louisville Slugger bats, and Hack's Brooklyn uniform and cleats.

s-l1200.jpg
Amazing photo, really shows off Wilson's stature. I'm reading that he was 5'6'', 195lbs!

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Amazing photo, really shows off Wilson's stature. I'm reading that he was 5'6'', 195lbs!

My favorite description of Hack's physique: "He was built like a beer keg, and not entirely unfamiliar with its contents." He was also described as a fire hydrant. Another amazing fact is his shoe size - only size 5 1/2 to 6! And an 18" neck. He was an oddity!

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
1935 Diamond Stars Harvey Hendrick. Love this set and though I have the Yankees, I will probably continue to add a few!!
DANNY

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Great pickups fellas!

Mine is rather modest in comparison. An iconic Maris card, perhaps the most iconic one. Card #1 from the 1962 set after his record season.

s-l600.jpg

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
[MENTION=1845]gracecollector[/MENTION]

Great find . I've got to find one of those for my father-in-law. Thank you for sharing

Is he a big Brooklyn fan? I thought the card was cool for my Zimmer collection. It showcased the artwork for the Bums' championship ring before the rings were made. 1955 was such a great year for Brooklyn, finally getting the monkey off their back for winning a World Series.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Is he a big Brooklyn fan? I thought the card was cool for my Zimmer collection. It showcased the artwork for the Bums' championship ring before the rings were made. 1955 was such a great year for Brooklyn, finally getting the monkey off their back for winning a World Series.

It is hard to imagine that a team that was in existence as long as the Brooklyn Dodgers were only won the series once while in the borough. They had sniffed at the championship so many times by being in the World Series and getting beaten by the perennial favorite Yankees and to win this one time must have been an incredible feeling. I can only assume this is how it will be for Cubs fans if they get the championship this year.

I have not looked in awhile but I assume all of the items in your collection are on the various player websites that you have? Is there anything that you have chosen not to post on the web sites?

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL

Yes he is. He grew up in Brooklyn and has told me stories about how he would sneak to the games as a little kid by himself to catch a glimpse of his idols. He has an Ebbett's Field seat in his house and a vintage Flatbush Ave. street sign as well among his few other collectibles. He doesn't collect. He just loves his Brooklyn Dodgers. The one thing he really wants is this original newspaper :

ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1473202850.870449.jpg

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
It is hard to imagine that a team that was in existence as long as the Brooklyn Dodgers were only won the series once while in the borough. They had sniffed at the championship so many times by being in the World Series and getting beaten by the perennial favorite Yankees and to win this one time must have been an incredible feeling. I can only assume this is how it will be for Cubs fans if they get the championship this year.

I have not looked in awhile but I assume all of the items in your collection are on the various player websites that you have? Is there anything that you have chosen not to post on the web sites?

Some of my odd personal collection stuff is hidden at http://www.baseballcardstars.com/personalcollection.html. ***** League autos, Yogi Berra GU cards, Rabbit Maranville collection, Carl Lundgren (he lived by us in Marengo, Cubs pitcher 1902-1909) collection, some other odds and ends.

Members online