Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who will have better career numbers: Pujols or Cabrera?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Who do you think will retire with better career stats?
I'm talking the gaudy glamor stats, not the sabermetric stuff.

Pujols and Cabrera both started very young and have Triple Crown type numbers nearly every season.
Pujols always plays through nagging injuries, so that could impact his longevity.
Cabrera is a little chunky, and that may or may not impact the length of his career.

So if you had to choose, who will finish with more mind-blowing stats?

Albert Pujols, age 33

13 seasons

.323 avg.
2,272 hits
479 home runs
1,452 rbi
1,388 runs
1.018 OPS

Miguel Cabrera, age 30

11 seasons

.319 avg.
1,841 hits
325 home runs
1,152 rbi
982 runs
.957 OPS

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
Pujols because of playing in better weather

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Miguel Cabrera is not chunky. Miguel Cabrera is thick. There is a big difference.

kemputer

Sep 12, 2009
I think it's certainly plausible that Miggy might end up with better numbers. If that does happen, does Miggy outshine Pujols from a hobby perspective though?

Interesting subject.

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
I find this subject interesting too. I really think that in the long run Miggy has a shot at having better stats then Pujols and that in the future it's quite possible that neither will really shine in the hobby, they will still be collected but more in a Mike Schmidt type of way. People will be interested in the new players and Pujols blew his shot at being collected like Griffey or Rickey Henderson when he left St. Louis. I just don't see St. Louis fans collecting Pujols heavily in the future also with Miggy, Detroit just isn't new york and while he'll put up great numbers unless he has some Jeter like longevity he probably won't break any records and will still float along in a similar hobby situation that he is in now.

mwashuc06

Aug 7, 2008
Cabrera is this generations Frank Robinson. A lot of people fail to realize how awesome Frank Robinson was.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Cabrera is now leading the AL in 2 of the 3 Triple Crown categories after today's monster game.
He's leading in batting average by 21 points and rbi by 5.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
Yeah, Jeter, Griffey, Rickey Henderson, and Pujols got the same raw deal to name a few.

How about going with something like his checkered past?

I would kinda agree, but in the sense that's he's not American. I don't think people care about race, but its difficult to connect when a guy doesn't speak English as his first language.

I watch all the games and tons of coverage of the Tigers, and Miggy doesn't get interviewed nearly as much as Verlander or other guys on the team.

Basically it comes down to, he's not as marketable as other guys on the Tigers. Which matters a ton. That's like 50% of Jeter's popularity.

kerryfan5

Sep 17, 2012
Ohio thourgh Dickinson, N.D.
I would kinda agree, but in the sense that's he's not American. I don't think people care about race, but its difficult to connect when a guy doesn't speak English as his first language.

I watch all the games and tons of coverage of the Tigers, and Miggy doesn't get interviewed nearly as much as Verlander or other guys on the team.

Basically it comes down to, he's not as marketable as other guys on the Tigers. Which matters a ton. That's like 50% of Jeter's popularity.

And jeter has multiple World Series wins. And plays in big games that make him an icon.

WJCIII

Dec 30, 2008
Miggy's main hobby issue is that he is not Caucasian

Correct, he's not caucasian like the player whose autos are consistently the highest on the market for active players, Ichiro, the hottest prospect of the offseason, Taveras, or the hottest card to begin this season, Justin Upton. I hate to tell people but race isn't a factor when it comes to collecting anymore. People care about the town they play in, the stats they put up, whether their team wins, and how the player treats people. Cabrera's problem is he plays in Detroit.

To get back on topic, Cabrera will pass Pujols.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
PSA 5 Mantle RC ~$3500
PSA 5 Mays RC ~$700

Someone please convince me that Mantle was FIVE times better then Willie Mays.

Race most certainly IS a factor in the hobby

WJCIII

Dec 30, 2008
PSA 5 Mantle RC ~$3500
PSA 5 Mays RC ~$700

Someone please convince me that Mantle was FIVE times better then Willie Mays.

Race most certainly IS a factor in the hobby

Mantle played in New York for the most popular sports team in U.S. history and his 1952 Topps is arguably the most recognizable card in the history of sports cards. If you're going to be fair then please also point out that Mantle far outsells, often times by more than 5 times, Ted Williams, Ed Mathews, Stan Musial, Hank Aaron, Ernie Banks, and every other player from his era.

Members online