Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Selling before the draft...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jkeys

Banned
May 5, 2010
Kansas City area
So, I have a nice collection of BGS slabs (mostly bowman chrome gold and orange auto's of upcoming collegiate and HS draft prospects). When is the best time to sell? Start of college ball season? Days before the draft? Post draft? Any and all advice is welcome!

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
So, I have a nice collection of BGS slabs (mostly bowman chrome gold and orange auto's of upcoming collegiate and HS draft prospects). When is the best time to sell? Start of college ball season? Days before the draft? Post draft? Any and all advice is welcome!

I've done pretty well by having potential draft picks' cards end on Days 1 and 2 of the draft.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Agree with J.P. Draft prospecting is tricky. So if you're player hasn't had a "peak-moment" before the draft I would list one week before the draft. And do yourself a favor. Sell and don't hold past the draft thinking the prospect will debut and knock everyone's socks off. I'm currently being burned by this right now.

jaydub

Jun 18, 2010
Arvada, CO
The other thing to watch for if you do hold through the spring HS and College seasons before the draft is that some players may rise and fall a good amount based on perfomance. I held several HS guys with USA cards from 2010 and 2011 who were highly touted coming into the 2012 HS season and some guys saw their stock drop enough that by the time the draft came around they were no longer 1st or 2nd round picks. Conversely you can get lucky and see some guys shoot up the draft boards based on their senior season so YMMV.

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
Ending on the night of the first round wasn't the best idea. Not too many folks watch the thing, and fewer still think 'hmm, let's go see if this pre-professional players has any cards'. I made much more with listings that ended the night after a player was drafted. Think I sold a Matt Olson non auto red ref for $205, which was pretty crazy to me.

The only reason to sell early is if you have a strong belief a player will fall down the draft boards between the start of the season and June. There were two guys that had that happen where selling early wasa great idea last year.

Exposfan

Mar 16, 2009
Hartland, WI
Sell as needed, don't always wait until the draft because there will be plenty of other people doing that exact same thing and that will flood the market.

Members online

Latest posts