Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Need some advice please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

viper

Dec 12, 2015
Ohio
Our favorite eBay seller (the one who jacks up the prices to the stratosphere) has several cards that I want to get for my 98 and 99 Topps Gold Label player collection but these are the Red Label cards. I offered him high Beckett on the ones that I need, but was automatically turned down. I wrote a quick note, asking what he would take for one in particular, he came back $75 over my high Beckett offer.

These cards do not pop up very often and I'm not sure to go ahead and take his counter offer, or just wait for another to show up eventually.

Would you walk or just bite the bullet and pay the extra?

Thanks

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
supply_and_demand.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Supply and demand at it's finest. beckett value is meaningless for situations like this, so if you are comfortable with the asking price, go for it. If you are not, then pass right on by. You may find another one later, but you may not. How badly do you want it is the real question. I have a few regrets of not buying something in my card buying career, but not that many.

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
I guess it depends on what the $75 is over and who the player is. For instance, I'd pay $575 for a $500 card but not $125 for a $50 card. Also, in your case I would only consider it if you are chasing the Class 3 cards. I would definitely wait for another Class 1 or 2 to pop up.

Sig40cal

Jul 23, 2012
Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Our favorite eBay seller (the one who jacks up the prices to the stratosphere) has several cards that I want to get for my 98 and 99 Topps Gold Label player collection but these are the Red Label cards. I offered him high Beckett on the ones that I need, but was automatically turned down. I wrote a quick note, asking what he would take for one in particular, he came back $75 over my high Beckett offer.

These cards do not pop up very often and I'm not sure to go ahead and take his counter offer, or just wait for another to show up eventually.

Would you walk or just bite the bullet and pay the extra?

Thanks

What are the red labels from that set? /25?

David K.

Aug 26, 2008
Fresno, CA
I would bite the snake and buy it using my federal tax refund.......first date to file elf and paper returns is January 19, 2016! Best regards, David

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
There's a few sellers on there that I'd like to get someone of their main PC just to hold hostage to make them feel the pain of what they do to so many player collector's. I'd wait it out and not give into their stupid price demands.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
I think I know of the seller you are talking about. There are 3 of them, actually. Together, they cumulatively had a small handful of cards I needed. I ended up biting the bullet and grabbed them, but what I did was I waited for the ebay 5x bucks deal to come around, and I told the seller that this is my chance to get them *IF* I can buy them while the 5x are active *AND* he would work on the price with me if I bought as a lot.

As it turned out, one of the cards I got popped up a few months later for about half price, and the others have still not been seen ever by me...then again this was only from earlier this year :) You never know if you'll ever see the cards again. It stings if they sell to someone else and you don't have the ability to get it again, but it also stings if you buy and it comes up for sale shortly thereafter for significantly cheaper.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
I'd look at it like "you can NEVER have all of the card of your PC player". Therefore, in your instance, I'd pass if they're not willing to come to a reasonable price. Now, I'd personally change my tune on a centerpiece item to my collection; I'd be willing to pay what I feel it's worth, maybe a bit more, and I can afford.

Members online

Latest posts