Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anybody get their Dale Murphy Auto yet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
I had thought that since he was signing in the FCB booth (at least I thought he was) and his appearance was sponsored by FCB he would sign pretty much everything that was put in front of him as time allowed. That is how other signings typically go...unless of course the player has a previously stated limit or restriction on what he/she signs. So Mr. Murphy appeared in the FCB booth and was paid for by FCB but TriStar but limits on what he signs?

Was FCB not a sponsor of Mr. Murphy in their booth and did they not pay him to sign there?

I am not pointing an accusing finger....I am just curious as to how this player appearance thing now works. I know when I did shows we paid the player, he signed for the allotted time and we sure didnt count what he signed and how many items of each he autographed.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
I had thought that since he was signing in the FCB booth (at least I thought he was) and his appearance was sponsored by FCB he would sign pretty much everything that was put in front of him as time allowed. That is how other signings typically go...unless of course the player has a previously stated limit or restriction on what he/she signs. So Mr. Murphy appeared in the FCB booth and was paid for by FCB but TriStar but limits on what he signs?

Was FCB not a sponsor of Mr. Murphy in their booth and did they not pay him to sign there?

I am not pointing an accusing finger....I am just curious as to how this player appearance thing now works. I know when I did shows we paid the player, he signed for the allotted time and we sure didnt count what he signed and how many items of each he autographed.

FCB doesnt pay a dime for the signer. They are supplied by Tri-star at no charge to certain corporate buyers.

FCB is not a sponsor of the player and its essentially a perk.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
How the hell can Murphy's agent order him not to sign the cards? It makes no sense. Didn't he sign cards at the National? And he signs cards through the mail.
Something doesn't add up.

It doesn't esp when others witness him signing cards....

Ryan

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
there is some bad news regarding the cards, his agent wouldn't let him sign them. I sent an 8x10 and your card should be in the package.
Why are we learning this three weeks after it happened? Don't you think you should have let everyone know immediately so they could have decided if they wanted a refund or not?
And if you didn't find out until after Murphy already signed the 8x10s instead of the cards, why are you just now telling us?

Erich

Aug 26, 2008
Anywhere Delta goes.
Ok, I was standing 5 feet from Murphy and his "handler" at the end and this is how I remember it:

-His handler made a big deal about him signing the cards since I believe he'd reached his limit on cards since they kept track of each different type of item signed.
-He signed the balls and the 8X10's since they had time and those hadnt reached their limits.

Chris is not being accurate when he says they didnt sign cards since Ken and I both saw him sign dozens and did it happily. By the end of the line, he had reached the total amount so it was cut off. The autos are free to convention attendees but Tri-star still pays for them individually. Tri-Star was also VERY strict about a 1 auto limit so the fact we got all the items at the end was a bonus.
So the auto's Chris got were free (not that I care)? That's the way I am reading this.

Last edited:

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
So the auto's Chris got were free (not that I care)? That's the way I am reading this.

Ok, let me explain what I mean. For Chris, nothing about the National is free. The booth is expensive and when you add a signer, its costly. Being in the Corporate area is about high fees and for that they "give" some companies a signer. For that, the booth owner only gets to have the player at his booth and they live by the rules set out. So for the fan like me, i paid for a baseball and the signature was free. As the owner, Chris has great expense and no real feedback on rules but the advertising is great since in my mind, Dale Murphy was the biggest signer on the floor...

Erich

Aug 26, 2008
Anywhere Delta goes.
I am not complaining about having to pay $25 for a signed ball including shipping. Shipping is $2.00-2.50 and the ball is what 12 or 13, not a bad deal at $25 to my door. I just want to get facts straight as I did not understand how it worked.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Well at least it makes sense now. I wasn't trying to start a war. Just really curious about why no cards. But apparently there was a limit. And I can see there being a limit on total items signed but not on particular items signed so that still leaves me curious. But I collect IP autos like a lot of you do cards. So for me, I like to get the skinny on stuff like this.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I am not complaining about having to pay $25 for a signed ball including shipping. Shipping is $2.00-2.50 and the ball is what 12 or 13, not a bad deal at $25 to my door. I just want to get facts straight as I did not understand how it worked.

My post just confused things so I apologize for that. I was trying to get across that i was standing there when the handler for Tri-star stopped the cards from being signed.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Some great points being made here. I sent a card, a specific card, that I was willing to pay to have signed. I wouldn't normally pay $10 to have a random Murphy autograph in general, as I have multiples of his signature already on cards of my choosing. That said, I wanted his RC signed (maybe his 78 Topps a little more as i have mentioned) and felt $10 was a very reasonable price for the chance to get one in a "certified" signing setting. I was not clear on the program other than send $10 to FCB and your item and they'd try to get the item signed at the show. That was a great service to offer and if there was any profit to be made here, I doubt it was much. It seems it was a card site helping out it's members and a great gesture at that.

The "no cards" thing was a shock though and a little pre-warning would have been nice. Finding out after the items were shipped back was poor execution for sure. I may have opted for a refund myself for reasons already mentioned before had I been told, but in the end, I'll tuck the 8x10 away with the rest of the 8x10s I have. I don't want to sound ungrateful for this whole event, as I appreciate the opportunity and would participate in another signing in the future, if offered the opportunity, that was along my collecting interests.

However it would have been nice to get a little better explanation than the usual one sentence blurbs we tend to get from Chris.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Some great points being made here. I sent a card, a specific card, that I was willing to pay to have signed. I wouldn't normally pay $10 to have a random Murphy autograph in general, as I have multiples of his signature already on cards of my choosing. That said, I wanted his RC signed (maybe his 78 Topps a little more as i have mentioned) and felt $10 was a very reasonable price for the chance to get one in a "certified" signing setting. I was not clear on the program other than send $10 to FCB and your item and they'd try to get the item signed at the show. That was a great service to offer and if there was any profit to be made here, I doubt it was much. It seems it was a card site helping out it's members and a great gesture at that.

The "no cards" thing was a shock though and a little pre-warning would have been nice. Finding out after the items were shipped back was poor execution for sure. I may have opted for a refund myself for reasons already mentioned before had I been told, but in the end, I'll tuck the 8x10 away with the rest of the 8x10s I have. I don't want to sound ungrateful for this whole event, as I appreciate the opportunity and would participate in another signing in the future, if offered the opportunity, that was along my collecting interests.

However it would have been nice to get a little better explanation than the usual one sentence blurbs we tend to get from Chris.

I can understand if I ordered a card to be signed and received a 8 x 10 with no explanation, warning or heads up I would be upset. A little more quality communication is certainly warranted here thats for sure.

Members online

Latest posts