Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Share an unusual or unique uniform card/item you own, just like or would like to own.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I have always been interested in the obscure items, especially those that show familiar players in unfamiliar uniforms. Sometimes it is easy to find photos, especially with Topps vault negatives and such, but there was not always a card or product that featured a certain player in a certain short lived uniform. I may have even started a similarly themed thread a while back when I shared an Omar Vizquel autograph card that caught my eye because it showed him as a Blue Jay. I didn't even know he had made a stop there, but he ended his career there in fact! In the day and age of free agency, it is probably harder now to see someone stay their whole career with a single team, or even a couple, but it has always been a pretty special feat to complete a long career with a single team as only a few all time greats would come to mind in a discussion like this, usually most notable are Mickey Mantle, Ted Williams, Stan Musial, Al Kaline and Brooks Robinson. Of course there are others, often with slightly shorter careers (Gehrig, DiMaggio, Jackie Robinson, etc), but so many players have made stops elsewhere in their time...some common, some not so common.

I will always gravitate to the Dodgers in a case like this, but other teams will often capture my fancy too. I love to see first generation mariner uniforms on people like Vada Pinson, Bill Mazeroski, Maury Wills, etc. I could come up with a lot of these, however, this is a card I saw when 2018 Archives came out and knew I had to have and the one that got me thinking about this subject again. It's kind of a weird shot, but it is clearly a Thome Dodger autograph, of which he seems to have very few or they are all locked up in collections by now. On his way to the Hall of Fame, via a variety of teams, Thome made a 17 game stop in LA in 2009 and it was not captured on a lot of cards given how many he has overall. Autographed versions are even tougher.

Share one that stands out for you. Let's try to keep it going for a while and please try to offer a photo and not just a list of names with unique teams they briefly appeared with that would shock everyone except the most die hard fans of the game.

s-l500.jpg

madbull34

Sep 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
Most remember Nomo from his days as a Dodger or Red Sox. But his only on card certified auto is in a Tigers uni.

nomo_027_zps4qxbuwrm.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Nomo...He has others, they are just stickers I presume? I do not have a Nomo certified auto myself and know they are not plentiful either. I don't know what sets he appeared in though. It was before I caught the auto card bug and most were probably gobbled up by then.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Nomo...He has others, they are just stickers I presume? I do not have a Nomo certified auto myself and know they are not plentiful either. I don't know what sets he appeared in though. It was before I caught the auto card bug and most were probably gobbled up by then.

Looks like several ‘03 DLP products on stickers. All really low numbered indeed

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010

When I saw that Maz, I had to buy one. I "met" him in 1980, but literally had no clue who he was then and that he would be one of the two best photos from that day looking back. The other was Vada Pinson. Wish I was a little better informed and interested, but it was all about the Danny Meyers and Bruce Bochtes that day for most kids.

1980 Mazeroski.jpg1980 Pinson.jpg

madbull34

Sep 10, 2009
San Diego, CA

Yes all his other certified pack issued autos are stickers. Nowadays pretty hard to come by.

nomo_005.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Thanks for the replies. Was hoping to see a little more action (this is something literally anyone could participate in w/o any special level of knowledge just through their collecting experience) and maybe learn about some other cards I might not have any idea about. I'm a bit disappointed, but not surprised. This is one of the many reasons I believe most of these sites are slowly dying. The average interaction just can't sustain without controversy or drama. Look at the threads that keep running for more than a couple of pages and it is mostly the individuals who started them that work hard to keep them running ("My xxxx collection"), despite a sometimes lukewarm response from the rest of us. The other exceptions seems to be the very specialized, yet passionate subsets of the broader hobby in general like 90s inserts or error & variations threads, which also get only a limited amount of participation from the site as a whole, but as I stated before, a very dedicated and passionate grouping of members.

I used to really enjoy coming to these sites, but more and more I am just not finding anything worth staying for. Maybe just another sign that my collecting interest is on the downslide. I may just start a poll in another thread so that you 20-30 or so people left who still respond to things can sound off, but I am truly curious as to what everyone on these sites is looking to get from them and are you getting what you'd hoped for?

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
By the way, how many of you knew Boog Powell played for the Dodgers?972f87f9a422474dfbaa1ce974bb8a7a.jpg

mhcook

Feb 22, 2011
While nothing has crossed my mind that fits here, I completely agree with the idea that posts like this are why I check forums. I'm generally wanting to see cool things I haven't seem or even better if I don't know they existed. The drama is definitely a deterrent because I learn nothing new about sports or cards, but some how I continue reading expecting quality to be hidden in the garbage.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I have that same Santiago auto I believe. Really makes you appreciate someone's choice to include that team when they did.

With only 6 games played with the Pirates it's astonishing that Benito Santiago got an autograph and relic in a Bucs uniform.

He is also shown as a Royal on that card and probably didn't have too many of those either.

Members online