Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1993 Stadium Club Executive edge gold??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Yeah I saw the Olerud and didn't really think twice about passing on it. We seem to be in a new boom era of executive proofs, samples, and promos. Feels kind of similiar to the error craze of the early 90's.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 LTE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mjbuchanan80

May 16, 2011
Kansas City
Wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole unless someone at Topps confirmed their existance. Seriously guys - think of all the hobby experience in this one thread and add in the common demoninator of no one ever hearing of these. I'm leaning solidly towards fake.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole unless someone at Topps confirmed their existance. Seriously guys - think of all the hobby experience in this one thread and add in the common demoninator of no one ever hearing of these. I'm leaning solidly towards fake.

+1

I also agree with the earlier comment about we're like in a new craze for odd ball, sample, promo, executive proofs, etc. It's nuts and people are probably trying their hardest to find the next crazy hot item that is worth $0.03 but it can sell to player collectors for $100.

---
Looking for Albert Belle cards! PM me!

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
I agree that something is odd about these, never seen before, never mentioned before, popped up after decades.

However, purchase one (out-right or BO) if you think there is a chance these are good.......if the card arrives and paint flakes or it looks fake just return the damn thing.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I agree that something is odd about these, never seen before, never mentioned before, popped up after decades.

However, purchase one (out-right or BO) if you think there is a chance these are good.......if the card arrives and paint flakes or it looks fake just return the damn thing.

This is true. It just takes one member here to get one in hand and we'll know.

Is the foil on the front also in gold? Someone mentioned it should match the front foil but I thought it was just the side of the card.

brian46256qqv

Mar 26, 2012
I am also very skeptical on these. Never heard of them before and the gilding process does not appear to be that difficult.

Gilding Stationery at Crane & Co. - YouTube

In no way am I saying the seller did the gilding but whoever he got them from may have. The one thing I can see going for these is the seller seems to have/had some sort of connection at Topps with all the uncut Topps "proof" stuff he has listed. I will probably still pick up one of the common Orioles just to check it out.

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
Anybody trying to sell a card for over $100 will almost 100% of the time have at least one photo of the actual card they are selling. The listing seems way too vague if these were actually legit.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I am also very skeptical on these. Never heard of them before and the gilding process does not appear to be that difficult.

Gilding Stationery at Crane & Co. - YouTube

In no way am I saying the seller did the gilding but whoever he got them from may have. The one thing I can see going for these is the seller seems to have/had some sort of connection at Topps with all the uncut Topps "proof" stuff he has listed. I will probably still pick up one of the common Orioles just to check it out.

That video is nuts. Again, the actual cards without the gold are worth pennies, so someone could literally practice over and over and over again with nearly no cost.

Hullfan

Aug 9, 2008
St Louis
I wonder if someone ended up getting the Rickey because it says it is no longer for sale. Maybe an off ebay deal???

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
How long before the seller of these drops in here to state their case, explain the item, etc.? Just a matter of time right?

cards01fan

Sep 4, 2008
I have some 1993 topps red bordered St. Louis cardinal executive ones for sale 1k for the whole lot! Or BO

On a secondary note does anyone know how to get red spray paint off my hands?

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I have some 1993 topps red bordered St. Louis cardinal executive ones for sale 1k for the whole lot! Or BO

On a secondary note does anyone know how to get red spray paint off my hands?
LOL!!

If you look, this sellers entire eBay store is FILLED with proofs, exective proofs, samples, etc. That's nuts, how did he/she get so many?

On another note, a lot of these have sold and for the BIN price... could that many people be fooled or know something we don't?

[MENTION=3600]VizquelCollector.com[/MENTION] - did you snag the Vizquel?

Be8el0ve

Aug 7, 2008
New Jersey
How long before the seller of these drops in here to state their case, explain the item, etc.? Just a matter of time right?

You knew it was coming! Alexis, the seller, is a good friend of mine and asked if I post this message on his behalf since he does not have an account here,

To answer some of the questions in this thread, I purchased this set along with about 300,000 other
cards from the son of a guy who worked for Topps for 37 years as Director of Production and Quality
Control. I did make up the name myself as there is nothing on the cards to indicate a special name.
And I had to call it something to distinguish it from the regular cards. His dad was an executive with
Topps so I felt the name was appropriate.

The box the set was in was simply labeled "93 St. Club in #'d order" with no mention of any special
set, but given the fact that so many player collectors have never seen any of these cards before, I
think it's safe to say that it is something that was extremely limited. As some of you have mentioned,
you've dealt with me before, and if you view some of my other Topps items, I have tons of proofs from
Topps, including unreleased issues in basketball, unautographed versions of cards that were auto'd,
items without serial #s, etc. So it's not like I normally sell regular cards and all of a sudden, I have this
one random set that no one has ever heard of or seen before.

Further, I've been in the business for close to 20 years now and am a silver level Power Seller on ebay
on two different accounts. I'm not going to risk my reputation on ebay or in the collecting community
to make a few bucks, or even a few hundred. Some of the cards were stuck together in the set, as they
probably sat in the box for 20 years. So I didn't have the Nolan Ryan listed because it has some white
specks on it and I'll list it later with a specific scan for it. But I provided the sample scan and a pic of the
edges in a group shot, because a pic of a single edge wouldn't show up well. You can see it easily
in person, though, as the gold is pretty shiny and reflective in the light. Whatever gold foil was on the fronts
is identical to the regular issue foil of the cards. But the edges are done in more shiny reflective foil.

Also, if I was going to fake these, I would have gotten a full good set. I had to throw away about 70 cards from
the set since they were stuck together and couldn't be separated, or were too damaged in separating them.
I only have one of these sets, so you won't see me listing more duplicates any time in the future. I wouldn't have
advertised them as possible one of ones if I had more of them. I had to handle them quite a bit in trying to
separate them, and none of the gold foil edge came off while handling them.

Sorry to be so wordy, but I was trying to respond to all the questions. While I understand the skepticism that
these cards may bring, I can promise 100% (and stake my reputation on it) that these are legit. I definitely
didn't create them myself and I'm sure the guy's son didn't, either. If I can answer any other questions, I'd be
happy to.

Regards,

Alexis

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Ugh, more cards that were never meant for distribution find their way out.

Nothing wrong with that, makes the hobby that more interesting.

In the last couple of years, between 90 donruss color proofs, aqueous, mike witt black boxes, yard sale find of ud buyback logo cards & this, its pretty cool

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
Nothing wrong with that, makes the hobby that more interesting.

In the last couple of years, between 90 donruss color proofs, aqueous, mike witt black boxes, yard sale find of ud buyback logo cards & this, its pretty cool

+1

Members online