Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1986-87 Fleer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
I've started slowly collecting the rookies from this set and I'm getting confused. Every list - PSA, Cardboard Connection, SGC, Beckett, etc - has a slightly different list, but around 60 names are consistent. Ruling out everyone who had Topps rookies before Star came around is a given, but after that it gets a bit murky. Take Mark Aguirre and Jay Vincent, for example. Both drafted in '81, both have previous Star cards, and neither have anything else pre-Fleer. Aguirre is universally regarded as a RC, while Vincent is not. Same with '82 draftees Terry Teagle and Dominique Wilkins. No one lists Teagle as a RC, yet 'Nique is.

What's the deal?

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
I have no idea why some would be considered rc's and some aren't, but I would encourage you to just decide for yourself if it qualifies as a rc by your standards or not. Honestly after giving it a ton of thought and learning about the Star cards and all of their issues, I decided that the Star cards are true rc's to me. They were fully licensed cards and just because they were distributed in team bags instead of packs doesn't mean they aren't rc's to me. But that it is the decision I came to and I realize it's not the mainstream thought at this time. All cards have counterfeits, so that aspect of the star brand doesn't scare me, now the second printing of the second series of the 85 issue ( I think that was the reprinted series) is a little bothersome but upper deck did that with the 1989 Griffey, does that not make it his Rc? If you like the 1986 fleer set I would say go for the whole set, it's small and is a for sure a classic. If it's rc's you want I would suggest researching the Star cards and deciding for yourself if these are what you really want. If you want to read more about star cards read everything you can find from Steve Taft, he was of great help to me both with what he wrote on the Internet and he even took a good bit of time share many stories of his on the phone and via email. So if he ever reads this I would like to thank him for that. Good luck with your hunt and decision on what you consider a true rc. If you do decide the star brand is their true rc, I would go with bgs graded cards only although early *** and early scd, graded cards are supposed to be good too, it is possible to learn all the subtleties but I chose just to trust bgs although no one is perfect and bgs is definitely not with star cards either.

Last edited:

stangy24

Jun 18, 2009
San Francisco, CA
I have no idea why some would be considered rc's and some aren't, but I would encourage you to just decide for yourself if it qualifies as a rc by your standards or not. Honestly after giving it a ton of thought and learning about the Star cards and all of their issues, I decided that the Star cards are true rc's to me. They were fully licensed cards and just because they were distributed in team bags instead of packs doesn't mean they aren't rc's to me. But that it is the decision I came to and I realize it's not the mainstream thought at this time. All cards have counterfeits, so that aspect of the star brand doesn't scare me, now the second printing of the second series of the 85 issue ( I think that was the reprinted series) is a little bothersome but upper deck did that with the 1989 Griffey, does that not make it his Rc? If you like the 1986 fleer set I would say go for the whole set, it's small and is a for sure a classic. If it's rc's you want I would suggest researching the Star cards and deciding for yourself if these are what you really want. If you want to read more about star cards read everything you can find from Steve Taft, he was of great help to me both with what he wrote on the Internet and he even took a good bit of time share many stories of his on the phone and via email. So if he ever reads this I would like to thank him for that. Good luck with your hunt and decision on what you consider a true rc. If you do decide the star brand is their true rc, I would go with bgs graded cards only although early *** and early scd, graded cards are supposed to be good too, it is possible to learn all the subtleties but I chose just to trust bgs although no one is perfect and bgs is definitely not with star cards either.

Wanted to echo the endorsement of Steve Taft. He's the ultimate Star Co. guru and I've worked out deals with him and have bought many of my Star Co. cards from him. He sells on ebay under stevetaft.

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
I would just collect the set versus individual cards. It would look much better stored/displayed as a full set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online