Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who Signed The 2016 Topps Heritage Jim Owens Cards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
I was PUMPED when I read that Topps had managed to convince Jim Owens to sign cards for 2016 Topps Heritage. He is famous for his aggressive hatred for people wanting his autograph. A friend of mine was chased out of his house after agreeing to pay him several thousand dollars to do a private signing by an inebriated Owens screaming that nobody would want his autograph anyways. I am fortunate enough to have an autograph from his more sober days and I will acknowledge that over time his signature has changed.

Here is my "playing days" autograph.

fa18ad_b4b37cb94bbe4c1f9e37f13968e8b6c3.jpeg

The main difference between pre-alcohol problem and post-alcohol problem is the "J" in Jim.

Here is a less sober authentic autograph.

109353.jpg

Another sober example.

260402.jpg

And another not-so-sober example.

229429.jpg

Now, as I am looking at the eBay auctions, I am excited but concerned by the first one I see.

s-l500.jpg
The "J" seems decently close to not-so-sober autograph, which would make sense as it is modern, but the last name just doesn't look right to me. Then the second copy pops up and my heart sinks.

s-l1600.jpg

This autograph looks nothing like any Owens autograph I have ever seen. I have never, ever seen him sign his given name of James before. And the last name looks completely different on this card than it does on the other card.

So I have three possible theories that I'd love to hear opinions about.

1. Owens is so blitzed that he can't sign the same way twice and sometimes forgets what name he goes by.
2. Someone in his family signed these cards. His daughter is known to live with him.
3. Topps accidentally contacted the wrong Jim Owens. The signatures on the cards look uncomfortably similar to the autograph of semi-known country singer Jim Owen.

s-l1600.jpg

My only issue with #3 is that the country singer is not James, so it is unlikely that he would sign it as such. That said, if he was willing to lie about which Jim Owens he was to begin with, he might not have much problem signing whatever name Topps ask for.

So, did Jim Owens sign these cards? Please put my fears to rest so I can pick one of these up with confidence!

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Health could be a factor. Guys gotta be gettin up there right? How recent are your "sober" examples? Some of the signers Topps does get for Heritage are on their last legs to be gentle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
Mine is from the 60s.

I get what you're saying about age, but would age cause you to sign a completely new name?

I really WANT these to be real.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
After seeing the devolution of Stan Musial's sig in his last year or two, I'll believe anything. I suspect a combination of 50 years of aging, alcohol issues, possibly eyesight, and trying to sign in the tight space he assumed he was meant to use led to that sig. The Owens part looks reasonably close. But there are some odd things. I don't know how often people change from Jim to James in their autographs, but that's what I see. It pretty clearly has an 's' on the end, even beyond it being a baseball card of another person, so I don't think Jim Owen signed it, unless he didn't give a damn.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Does Topps still make the claim that they have a rep present at every signing? I know that in 2001-2 they took that very seriously, and I was sent to witness a few signings myself. They may not do that any more (easy cost cutting by just sending them out).

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
That's what I was wondering as well. I am leaning toward #2 , that his daughter signed these. I've seen 8 hit eBay, and they all seem "off".

I'm still hoping someone will convince me that these are totally legit.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
How well does Topps respond to people asking?

Personally, I'd do it by private means, like e-mail to a manager, and not via Tweeting it...

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
I don't know if this gives any positive confidence, but the autograph example for Jim Owen's on Baseball Almanac looks more similar to the 2016 Heritage ones in my opinion, I just don't know how long Baseball Almanac has had this posted on their site:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/player.php?p=owensji01
jim_owens_autograph.jpg

There is also this JSA certified one (take that for what it's worth) side by side compared to his 2016 Heritage as well:

s-l1600.jpg
$_35.JPG
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Jim-Owens-Autographed-1961-Topps-Card-341-JSA-COA-/161632462671

I do agree that the 2016 ones look a bit off/"new".

Last edited:

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Have there been several that look like "James"? If eyesight and steady hand are going, his hand may have gotten on a roll and done too many bumps so he tried to compensate or it just ended up looking like James. Heck, that happens to me every now and then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
Look at the examples Alex posted. I think I see why they bother me.

The end of the "J" in both of his known real copies end with a swoop to the left. The ones on the Heritage cards end with a swoop to the right. Next, look at the "O" in Owens. In the two authentic versions it starts from a straight line into the "O" while on the Topps version, it starts about 1/5 of the way down, loops up, and then forms the "O".

And to be completely open with it, I am also questioning the authenticity of my copy.

Oddly, I have had a member contact me through eBay instead of posting on this thread about mine being a fake. I'm not sure why they decided to go that route, but I don't want anything to think I'm just being a negative Nellie. I still really want someone to convince me that these (or mine, now) are authentic.

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
Look at the examples Alex posted. I think I see why they bother me.

The end of the "J" in both of his known real copies end with a swoop to the left. The ones on the Heritage cards end with a swoop to the right. Next, look at the "O" in Owens. In the two authentic versions it starts from a straight line into the "O" while on the Topps version, it starts about 1/5 of the way down, loops up, and then forms the "O".

And to be completely open with it, I am also questioning the authenticity of my copy.

Oddly, I have had a member contact me through eBay instead of posting on this thread about mine being a fake. I'm not sure why they decided to go that route, but I don't want anything to think I'm just being a negative Nellie. I still really want someone to convince me that these (or mine, now) are authentic.

One thing I thought about this morning was maybe Jim Owens is ambidextrous. I haven't had a chance to research at all, and that is beyond glass half full trying to boost your confidence on the Heritage cards haha!

Jim Owens JR

Sep 8, 2017
If I may clear up some doubt of the topic of " Who Signed The 2016 Topps Heritage Jim Owens Cards" I can confirm without a doubt that my Father Jim "The Bear" Owens did indeed without a doubt sign all of those Baseball cards. I don't really care for you Therion or your rude comments about my Father, or your accusations about my sister signing those cards. My father is a private man and I am tired of people like your friend harassing him for an autograph. Let me catch you or him or anyone else bothering my father for an autograph if he does not willingly want to give it. Your friend supposedly getting chased off by dad got off a lot easier then if I catch him bothering dad and that's a promise. Dad did sign those cards and dad is getting up there in age and it took multiple sittings for him to complete the signing of the cards. Dad for the majority of the time will sign with just Jim Owens, but I have also seen him sign cards as James Owens or James P Owens. As for other cards not looking like some of his previous signatures I can not confirm who those cards came from or what someone might do to try and sell a baseball card with my fathers signature for money. There are a lot of dishonest people out there and anything is possible when money is concerned. But as far as the 2016 Topps Heritage Jim Owens Cards, dad did sign these and he did use a Blue Sharpie Pen that I believe Topps provided. I hope this clears this topic up and I hope you enjoy the Topps cards he signed if you were able to get one. Best of wishes and happy collecting.

Jim Owens JR

OhioCollectibles

Aug 28, 2008
If I may clear up some doubt of the topic of " Who Signed The 2016 Topps Heritage Jim Owens Cards" I can confirm without a doubt that my Father Jim "The Bear" Owens did indeed without a doubt sign all of those Baseball cards. I don't really care for you Therion or your rude comments about my Father, or your accusations about my sister signing those cards. My father is a private man and I am tired of people like your friend harassing him for an autograph. Let me catch you or him or anyone else bothering my father for an autograph if he does not willingly want to give it. Your friend supposedly getting chased off by dad got off a lot easier then if I catch him bothering dad and that's a promise. Dad did sign those cards and dad is getting up there in age and it took multiple sittings for him to complete the signing of the cards. Dad for the majority of the time will sign with just Jim Owens, but I have also seen him sign cards as James Owens or James P Owens. As for other cards not looking like some of his previous signatures I can not confirm who those cards came from or what someone might do to try and sell a baseball card with my fathers signature for money. There are a lot of dishonest people out there and anything is possible when money is concerned. But as far as the 2016 Topps Heritage Jim Owens Cards, dad did sign these and he did use a Blue Sharpie Pen that I believe Topps provided. I hope this clears this topic up and I hope you enjoy the Topps cards he signed if you were able to get one. Best of wishes and happy collecting.

Jim Owens JR
Wow!

I collect Chet Lemon

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!

Jim Owens JR

You can question the story all you want, but Terry Puhl was there and saw the whole thing. How did you even find a thread about this that was 18 months old? Yikes.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
You can question the story all you want, but Terry Puhl was there and saw the whole thing. How did you even find a thread about this that was 18 months old? Yikes.
Maybe he googled his pops name? I forgot all about it

Bring me your Bickford, Ryan McMahon, Senzatela and Peter Lambert cards

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
Maybe he googled his pops name? I forgot all about it

Bring me your Bickford, Ryan McMahon, Senzatela and Peter Lambert cards

I have very casually been trying to get this thread to show up in a Google search and I can only make it happen by specifically putting Freedom Cardboard into the search lol

Members online