Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How to store a 1997 Bowmans Best Jumbo Refractor (4x6 inch)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dictoresno

Sep 2, 2017
NJ
I purchased a nice 1997 Bowmans Best Derek Jeter Jumbo Refractor. I plan on at some point having it sent to PSA, but in the mean time I would like to have it stored in a rigid holder. It is currently in a Card Saver IV, their largest size meant to accommodate the 4 x 6 inch size of these cards. I see that Ultra-Pro makes 4 x 6 toploaders, which could work, but they also make a screwdown 4 x 6 holder for cards/photos/postcards, but it doesn't have a recess in it and I really don't want to use one. They apparently don't make a one-touch mag holder either, which would be ideal. I guess I could buy a 4 x 6 penny sleeve, then loosely mount it in the screwdown, but that would be a waste of buying a pack of 100 4x6 sleeves for just one card.

Does anyone else own one of these 4 x 6 jumbo Bowman Refractors and if its not PSA slabbed, how do you store them from damage?

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
The top loads always seemed too tight for me and I was worried about them sticking.

I always used 2 pocket pages, with card in sideways...

dictoresno

Sep 2, 2017
NJ
so the 4 x 6 toploaders definitely look like they are a tight fit from seeing pictures of photos in them. my guess is I would have a hard time getting one of these in a penny sleeve into one. Im just afraid of using a screwdown because theres no recess in it and would definitely need to use a penny sleeve with it.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
I store my 4x6 cards in the 2 pocket pages. I put them inside a penny sleeve or a comic bag (taped down to fit) then into the binder.

If you don't have it already I have a 1998 Topps Super Chrome Jeter in NM shape. It seems like a lot of people don't like messing with the 4x6 cards because they're hard to store.

Last edited:

dictoresno

Sep 2, 2017
NJ
I store my 4x6 cards in the 2 pocket pages. I put them inside a penny sleeve or a comic bag (taped down to fit) then into the binder.

If you don't have it already I have a 1998 Topps Super Chrome Jeter in NM shape. It seems like a lot of people don't like messing with the 4x6 cards because they're hard to store.

I don't have a binder to keep them in, and pretty much only interested in hard cases. I have my whole collection in either PSA/BGS slabs or one touches and all are stored in two pelican cases.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
I don't have a binder to keep them in, and pretty much only interested in hard cases. I have my whole collection in either PSA/BGS slabs or one touches and all are stored in two pelican cases.

As far as hard cases go you're really limited unless you have them slabbed. The 4x6 Ultra Pro top loads are barely big enough for the card to fit into and the 5x7 Top loads are way too big.

Members online