Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Should I Send This In To Get Graded? Colin Kapernick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nicktv08

Apr 22, 2012
Columbus, OH
Hey guys. Just basically wanted some opinions on this card.

I was thinking of sending it into BGS to get graded at the 2 day service level since it's the special this month. I would have the card back by next week if I did this. Kaepernick cards are just exploding and now that they are going to the Super Bowl his cards could really get pricy if he wins.

I had it up on eBay for $300. Had quite a few watchers both times I listed, but no bids unfortunately. I don't think this is a crazy number based on what I have seen other cards of his sell for.

This card is only #/20 so extremely SP. Probably one of his rarer rookie autos. The patches are also pretty nice on it. The corners and edges look good, as well as the surface.

It would most certainly get a 9.5 IMO and possibly a 10.

Do you guys think it would add any value to the card if I did this? It would cost $44 to send in the card according to Beckett's online submission. I bought this last year at an extremely good price.

So anyone with opinions on what to do, would be greatly appreciated :) thanks guys.

gridironkaepernickauto1001.jpg

nicktv08

Apr 22, 2012
Columbus, OH
If not now........ when?

Well obviously now would be the time, that was not my question. I asked, or meant to ask, if grading it would increase the value substantially. It should, I'm about 99% sure come back 9.5 if not 10 so I was just wondering how much it would increase the value???

Certain cards like SPA, Exquisite, Contenders bring a much higher premium if graded well. This is Gridiron Gear however not a huge brand like the others, but still its an amazing card in my opinion and one of the best designs from last year if you ask me. So I thought maybe having it graded would increase the value substantially on it but I'm not sure. I dont want to pay $50 for the whole process to find out it only increases the value $50, you know what I mean?

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
Honestly, would a BGS grade on that card make it any more desirable? I wouldn't think so IMO. I would think it wouldn't matter due to the limited print run. Now if it were in the 100's of copies, I could see it.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I see no reason to grade a low-#'d gu/auto card these days. Unless it's an iconic set, or Exquistite something-or-other. It's a (really) nice card from a run-of-the-mill set, which would mean you'd be spending $44 to make it a (really) nice card from a run-of-the-mill set in a BGS holder.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
From my experience none of these super-thick cards get a 9.5 or 10 from BGS, 8.5 is aiming high. when they're that thick you have to look not only at the top & bottom surfaces, but also at each side "surface" as well. The sides are rarely perfect or anywhere close to it.

Bart81usaf

Dec 23, 2012
It would be more desirable if it were graded, but I don't know if you'd get more return on investment since you say it'll be $44. That gold BGS label just makes cards like this pop.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
That's one of those in between cards that I wouldn't know whether to break out of the case or to leave encased if I bought it. I'd say if it's a perfect 10 absolutely maybe even a 9.5 (of course a really, really REALLy tough grade for thick cards), but I think a 9 would almost decrease the value on that, definitely wouldn't increase

Bosox3

Aug 7, 2008
don't waste your time / money on getting it graded. It wont matter all that much.

Latest posts