Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

When Good / Legible Signers Go Bad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
Even the most legible signers occasionaly let some horrendous looking autographs slip by onto cards. This thread is to showcase pics of uncharacteristically bad autographs.

I'll start off with an Adam Dunn (my PC guy) where he signed little more than his initials. With over 100 Dunn autos in my collection, I have never seen him stop signing after the "D" in "Dunn". Maybe I'll have him finish the autograph someday...

Dunn Pic.jpg

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
This is my biggest complaint about how many autographs topps/leaf/panini ask these players to do. treating signing autographs like an obligation to be finished as soon as possible can get them into bad habits. I sometimes wish pack autographs were as hard to come by as the early 2000s, so that guys could take their time with them if they wanted to.

Also, an old nun from a catholic school, rather than a Topps rep, should supervise all signings. As Artie Donovan once said to my mom when she complimented how nice his handwriting was, he said "you never know when a nun is around the corner".

Frankly, I won't PC a guy's autographs if they look incredibly disrespectful or lazy.

I think the best example of deterioration of handwriting is Ronald Torreyes, who went from meticulously writing every letter of his name to "R squiggle T squiggle". But, perhaps he didn't understand the concept of 'signature' in the first place.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
The 'AD' Dunn may have been a variation autograph - Donruss/Playoff used to make some guys sign nicknames or other things besides their normal autograph so certain autograph pulls were more unique than others.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I don't have pictures but I've seen some very rough Colt McCoy autos. I know when I got him and he was still in college, he would only sign Colt and put his number and a bible verse. But after he got out of college, I was lucky enough to get him at an Academy in Austin and I got the full sig. But some of the IP stuff I've seen of his is more like a really nasty looking C and a squiqqle.

Carlos Lee has always been lazy with the pen, paid or not.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
The 'AD' Dunn may have been a variation autograph - Donruss/Playoff used to make some guys sign nicknames or other things besides their normal autograph so certain autograph pulls were more unique than others.

I can't say for sure that wasn't the case but I seriously doubt that occured with this card. Dunn did sign batches of sticker auto's in the early/mid 00's with an added "44" next to his name but I've never seen him just innitial a card (although I'm sure there are more out there).

Sports stars with short names like Adam Dunn should thank their parents/ancestors for saving them so much time signing for fans. On the other hand, maybe we should curse Pete Rose's ancestors for giving him a short name. That's gotta be why his autograph is anywhere and everywhere today...

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts