Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Most surprising things about this hobby

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
There's so so many, here are a few of mine.

Just how much weight bowman chrome pulls. From base autos to supers and everything in between. Compare to any other brand, it's crazy.

Super limited cards can be bought for peanuts. Think about it, you can buy a plate, a one of a kind card NO ONE else has in the world of a star for less than a tank of gas!

People ACTUALLY buy $100-$500 packs when they could buy a couple/several/many awesome cards from that product for less than pack cost.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
It is crazy. I don't pretend to understand any part of bowman or chrome.
people must buy the super high end packs because they keep making it. I don't have the money to burn or the insatiable gambling nerve that requires such purchases. And to pay hundreds if not thousands of dollars for a colored auto of some guy who hasn't a hit above double A let alone the majors is ridiculous. I secretly see these purchases or threads and hope the guy tanks. (Ok secrets out)
As for the 1/1 plates and such it's cool, but with everything else that is popular, they produce enough product to cram down our throats it doesn't sparkle and shine like it used to.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Most surprising thing to me is that consumers continue to eat up all of the high end, low serial numbered cards for big money even after all the cards that they did this to in the past 10 years have mostly & generally devalued. Some pricing has come down, as we all realize that a 1/1 is only special if you are one of those "I need all of them" collectors, since there will be 1000s more 1/1s made in different sets and issues.

Maybe it's just the retired and less popular players, but I look over checklists of the last 5 years and I'll use Steve Garvey as my example. There may be 3-4 regular cards in a years worth of issues and the rest are limited to 100 copies or less, with many being 10-25 copies or less.

Here is the checklist for 2014 Goodwin I just found. 11 cards will be issued: 4 of what looks to be "regular" quantities (unless there are SPs), 1 limited to 99 copies and the remaining 6 cards are 14 copies or less, including 5 1/1s!

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Well I will agree a 1/1 isn't what it used to be price wise. But to a collector that may be better. I like purchasing them cheaply. It helps my collection without me having to break the bank too much.

As for bowman, I think a lot of people like it because in a lot of cases it's the first card or at least premium looking card of a player. But I still wish there was rookies only in base sets and bowman was done away with. Imagine how much base rookies would be worth again!

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
that people dont do their own research

This too.
I do ask about some things but typically because I can't find a recent sale of something similar. Or the card in question isn't my typical niche. There are smarter people than I about many things. That's one of the great things about belonging to this community

Techniq

Jan 2, 2014
South San Francisco, CA
Most surprising thing is people still seem to care about sports cards

This.

My wife thought it was a dead hobby until she got curious and checked out baseball card related stuff on google/instagram/Facebook and was amazed with how many people are into it. I was actually a bit surprised too on how active this hobby still is, I'm glad though.

But with the internet, technology, and the overall changes with society, economy, and the kids - I'm very surprised it's doing so good. But before I get jumped on for saying how great the industry/hobby is even though there seem to be so many problems, I mean relatively.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
This.

My wife thought it was a dead hobby until she got curious and checked out baseball card related stuff on google/instagram/Facebook and was amazed with how many people are into it. I was actually a bit surprised too on how active this hobby still is, I'm glad though.

But with the internet, technology, and the overall changes with society, economy, and the kids - I'm very surprised it's doing so good. But before I get jumped on for saying how great the industry/hobby is even though there seem to be so many problems, I mean relatively.

I agree. I think it's kind of hard to fully understand how the hobby is doing in general these days with the internet being such a big part of the hobby. You used to be able to judge how well it was doing by going to shows, now shows are few and far between. So people get to sit in the comfort of their own home and search the internet for deals, so it's hard to tell how many people are out there into it until you come across certain sites.

pootshwan

Jan 26, 2010
Connecticut
The amount of people that are in the hobby only to make money and have no interest in collecting. I'd say more than 50% of the group breakers have 0 interest in collecting cards. They're just looking to make money off the hobbyists. A lot of the time, it's the same for the people joining group breaks. They're just looking for a big "hit" to flip it & make money on ebay. Same goes for Razz groups. People are gambling to win a big card to turn around and sell it. There are obviously real collectors out there, but they're getting harder and harder to find.

I think this is the reason Bowman Chrome is so popular as well. The whole concept behind prospecting is to stash the guy until he's called up, unload everything and profit.

Last edited:

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I'm always shocked when I check the PSA Registry sets lists, especially on early 50s stuff. How can there be that many great conditions even around? Wow...

Also, I'm always surprised how few people in the General Public don't know about the innovations the Hobby has come up with.

They're usually pumped about it, but it seems very few people know about the GU/auto cards. Maybe that's why some Dealers hopelessly overprice their stuff hoping to hook a sucker in...

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
This too.
I do ask about some things but typically because I can't find a recent sale of something similar. Or the card in question isn't my typical niche. There are smarter people than I about many things. That's one of the great things about belonging to this community

its great to ask questions about stuff you dont know. We wouldnt learn anything if we didnt ask questions.

I am mainly saying research when it comes to single box breaks. I keep seeing boxes breaks all over facebook for crazy prices and people buy into them.

For example. someone sent me a message asking if I wanted to join a bowman chrome football break for $8 a slot. $8 x 32 = $256, box cost right now about $120, thats just insane if you ask me. and on top of that is calling the product Bowman Chrome football, its called Bowman Football.

Now I am seeing a Panini Black FB break, 2 boxes, $12.50 a slot, $400 for the 2 boxes, boxes cost $140 each, so $280, and its only 24 total cards.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
For example. someone sent me a message asking if I wanted to join a bowman chrome football break for $8 a slot. $8 x 32 = $256, box cost right now about $120, thats just insane if you ask me. and on top of that is calling the product Bowman Chrome football, its called Bowman Football.

I think it's reasonable in the end... if the box breaker sends you base/inserts and not just any hits. If a bubble mailer of base/inserts and any hits costs $3 to mail, it could cost $96 total in postage. Paypal fees, etc. and you aren't leaving much profit margin if you are bringing in $256 from 32 slots and spending $216 box/postage plus any other fees to receive the money.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
most surprising thing to me not already mentioned:

why people have no problems properly packaging and sending a card or maybe a small lot of 2-3, while if it is a lot or set of 50, 100, 150, 200, 300, 500, etc. 99% of the shippers are just horrible with the way it's packaged and the likelihood of USPS handling damage increases and it's not covered by USPS insurance.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
most surprising thing to me not already mentioned:

why people have no problems properly packaging and sending a card or maybe a small lot of 2-3, while if it is a lot or set of 50, 100, 150, 200, 300, 500, etc. 99% of the shippers are just horrible with the way it's packaged and the likelihood of USPS handling damage increases and it's not covered by USPS insurance.

Oh yeah. I hate buying sets online for this very reason although with a few members here and one or two guys on ebay, I've had no issues. But it seems the exception rather than the rule.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
I just dont understand why people pay huges amounts for the hot prospect of any given year. Only to see those same cards sell for almost nothing a year or two later.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
How it's all about ripping and flipping. I'm guilty, you're guilty, everyone is guilty.

I can't necessarily complain because if it wasn't for those people, my PC wouldn't be what it is haha

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Also two more but staying away from the consumer and more about the "hobby" in general...

(1) How there is only ONE company (Topps) with the license, etc. Collecting in the '90s was awesome and totally took it for granted.

(2) How often redemptions are used and accepted more or less. Just shock really. I'm so glad I am a player collector and not a general baseball card collector like I was back in the '90s because it would totally take the fun out of it.

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

Members online

Latest posts