Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

new Jackie Robinson movie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
Did anyone see this? Looks like it will be a good movie. Hopefully they stick right to the facts....

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Did anyone see this? Looks like it will be a good movie. Hopefully they stick right to the facts....

Unless someone borrowed Doc Brown's Deloren or was lucky enough to be invited to a preview, no one has seen it, release date is 4/12 ;)
Most movies "stretch" the facts, rarely "stick right" to them, either way, from the trailers, this movie looks like it will be a winner, whether you are a baseball fan or otherwise.

Last edited:

fsulevine

Mar 5, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
I had to see "Les Miserables" with the wife... that was torture... she is already mentally prepared to see this as soon as possible after it opens. I'm sure she will enjoy this more than I enjoyed "Les Miserables", as there shouldn't be anything in "42" that makes one's ears bleed, or worse, makes you want to cut off your ears.

ronniedp23

Apr 13, 2011
The High Desert, California
I had to see "Les Miserables" with the wife... that was torture... she is already mentally prepared to see this as soon as possible after it opens. I'm sure she will enjoy this more than I enjoyed "Les Miserables", as there shouldn't be anything in "42" that makes one's ears bleed, or worse, makes you want to cut off your ears.

Led Mis awesome. Unless Broadway just isn't your thing. Granted, Mr. Crowd could have done better.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Freedom Card Board mobile app

fsulevine

Mar 5, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
Led Mis awesome. Unless Broadway just isn't your thing. Granted, Mr. Crowd could have done better.

Broadway IS NOT my thing. :) I actually much more enjoyed Russell Crowe's singing voice than Hugh Jackman's. It was Jackman's that really tortured me.

ronniedp23

Apr 13, 2011
The High Desert, California
Broadway IS NOT my thing. :) I actually much more enjoyed Russell Crowe's singing voice than Hugh Jackman's. It was Jackman's that really tortured me.

That's surprising. But it takes all kinds. Its funny, but Jackman's background is musical and he's been in a couple of live Broadway shows.

I am looking forward to see 42 though. Should be a great flick.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
I just hope it isn't like most Hollywood films in that it will either focus on some mundane love story for 1/3 to 1/2 of the movie or it will focus on Branch Rickey for 1/3 or 1/2 of the movie. I want to know about Jackie Robinson, he should be the focus.

Examples of movies with racial issues that got it wrong.

Wind Talkers- hey lets have a movie with Navajos and their cool language and focus on Nic Cage the whole damn time.
Geronimo- hey lets have another movie with a famous indian and make it all about the white General.
Moneyball- hey lets spend 1/3 of the movie on Beanes daughter and not even talk about 1/2 the players in the book.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Saw the previews and it looks to be a solid movie. I'm definitely going to see it and I haven't been to a theatre in years.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I love the idea of the movie, but I hope it highlights Rickey. If anything, Jackie takes too much of that story.

There were 100s in line to be Jackie...but without Rickey taking that leap we would have waited until Bill Veeck bought a team and replaced it with a ***** League team.

Was Jackie a talent and perfect for the "first?" Absolutely...but the risk taker bucking the system was Rickey.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I just hope it isn't like most Hollywood films in that it will either focus on some mundane love story for 1/3 to 1/2 of the movie or it will focus on Branch Rickey for 1/3 or 1/2 of the movie. I want to know about Jackie Robinson, he should be the focus.

Examples of movies with racial issues that got it wrong.

Wind Talkers- hey lets have a movie with Navajos and their cool language and focus on Nic Cage the whole damn time.
Geronimo- hey lets have another movie with a famous indian and make it all about the white General.
Moneyball- hey lets spend 1/3 of the movie on Beanes daughter and not even talk about 1/2 the players in the book.

I agree with you on the first two, but Moneyball was about Billy Beane and his daughter was an integral part of his story.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I love the idea of the movie, but I hope it highlights Rickey. If anything, Jackie takes too much of that story.

There were 100s in line to be Jackie...but without Rickey taking that leap we would have waited until Bill Veeck bought a team and replaced it with a ***** League team.

Was Jackie a talent and perfect for the "first?" Absolutely...but the risk taker bucking the system was Rickey.

I agree. I think Rickey is going to have a big part of the story - otherwise I don't think Harrison Ford would have taken the role.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
The hobbitt, Lincoln, les miserables would all like a word.

Yeah well...I'm in school so if I watch movies, it's at home usually. The Jackie movie I'll be seeing in a theater. Some movies are worth seeing in such a manner. This to me, along with a handful of others, fits that description.

Members online