Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
still not back home yet so i dont have access to a scanner for now , but i did get a nice little late 90's surprise last night.....was offered a few cans of 1997 pinnacle inside last week (tony gwynn , cal ripken , and barry sanders) but i passed based on the price....the same guy stopped by yesterday offering some deeply discounted and much-needed supplies so i made him a counteroffer on the cans and was pleasantly surprised when he accepted....my partner told me there was no way i should open them , but i just can't leave anything sealed (and i have quite a few pinnacle inside cans from all 3 sports and both years tucked away to confirm that).....told him i was going to pull a diamond edition from both baseball and he gave me the standard "yeah , right...dream on" spiel....

well , i was HALF right....the gwynn can produced the only insert from the lot..... as i opened the cellophane i was quite happy to see a die-cut card hiding in the middle and was even more excited to see it was actually a nice one - frank thomas.....granted the book value is nothing like it used to be , but i still think it was a nice score considering the limited number of cans (and it doesn't hurt that i'm a 90's and parallel fanatic either)....

if i ever get back home i'll try to get a scan added....

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Nice pick up, but I am confused at this statement. You knew someone who had a GF, but got him to list it incorrectly as a "gold" then picked it up for pennies on the dollar? Tell me I read that wrong.
No. I don't know him or his auction or anything. He had it listed as being "gold" like the color or metal. Obviously it is but there is a slight further difference between the gold and the Grand Finale and it is in the foil. Similar to the small difference between the silver and steel version of this release. Anyways, given he wasn't specific enough with his listing, I was able to get it for a reasonable price. Not pennies but felt like it considering I thought I would have to pay ~$40+ one day for the card and I got it for basically $10.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
No. I don't know him or his auction or anything. He had it listed as being "gold" like the color or metal. Obviously it is but there is a slight further difference between the gold and the Grand Finale and it is in the foil. Similar to the small difference between the silver and steel version of this release. Anyways, given he wasn't specific enough with his listing, I was able to get it for a reasonable price. Not pennies but felt like it considering I thought I would have to pay ~$40+ one day for the card and I got it for basically $10.

Execellent pick up. Those are the best ones to pick up as I imagine all of us spend more than we should on cards and getting a nice deal once in a while is huge. CONGRATS.

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL
Been a long time since I did some scanning:

i-GrdzF5S-L.jpg
i-dgLnkJt-L.jpg
i-DGJTcbz-L.jpg

i-9Z9X3cN-L.jpg
i-H2Mb2Ns-L.jpg
i-dHK3Vfp-L.jpg

i-wZGcpv4-L.jpg
i-v4PMP9Z-L.jpg
i-Czrq3b6-L.jpg

i-XbQv83g-L.jpg
i-r44SbmD-M.jpg

i-NSxVdvX-L.jpg
i-jPzK24p-L.jpg

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
1997 Topps Stars All Stars. Been really tough to find one at auction over the past 10 years. Always for sale at an exorbitant BIN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats what I thought... Not to be confused with the Topps Stars "All-Star Memories"

Still looking for the Griffey, just didn't recognize it because I don't think I've ever seen one.

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
I had all but given up on this conquest, stuck on 5 more cards for waaaay too long, 2 of which I have had zero visual confirmation of existing (Rondell White and Justice). Considering I've already confirmed a couple checklist discrepancies between axis and color this would not have surprised me. Then, BAM!

1997 Leaf Die-Cut Fractal Matrix #299 - David Justice
Courtesy of COMC.com

First add in about 1.5 years!

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Nice pickups! Definitely elusive!

Tough finds! Congrats!

Thanks guys! First, I got them both at the same time, so that was nice. Second, I think the best part about getting these, since they're not the most visually appealing cards, is that I can officially stop inspecting every 98 Skybox Axcess base card hoping to someday find the parallel!!

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Thanks guys! First, I got them both at the same time, so that was nice. Second, I think the best part about getting these, since they're not the most visually appealing cards, is that I can officially stop inspecting every 98 Skybox Axcess base card hoping to someday find the parallel!!

SUPER tough find. Nobody opened up ANY of this product, so most of it was destroyed. It was aimed at younger kids (like Collector's Choice), but even kids didn't get into this product. And if someone did actually pull one, it was nearly impossible to notice the "Inside Axcess" labeling.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
SUPER tough find. Nobody opened up ANY of this product, so most of it was destroyed. It was aimed at younger kids (like Collector's Choice), but even kids didn't get into this product. And if someone did actually pull one, it was nearly impossible to notice the "Inside Axcess" labeling.

They did have fun redemptions, though. I got an auto'd Tony Gwynn ball and it has a nice Dugout Axcess stamp on the ball. I spilled Dr. Pepper all over the cert of auth, but that just gives it character ;D

Members online

Latest posts