Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Radicards® Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Ah, you dog! I wish I had all the Alomars those guys are "selling". But sadly I still see their refreshed listings in my searches, glancing just to see if they've come down to the fixed threshold for each card that I'm willing to pay. It seems like some of them are gradually dropping a bit in price, but even if that's true it feels like an asymptotic curve, so it may never actually reach that threshold :-(

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
You'd probably need to know how the cards were made back the to know for sure, but my assumption is this (and this could be way wrong too):

Cal was given 5000 cards to sign, maybe even a few extras in case he messed up a few. All of them were unsigned initially and here is where I could be way off, none of them were serialized yet. He signed the 5000 copoies and then those were serialized.

The extra unsigned cards were possibly held back as replacement cards or maybe they were in fact proofs. I have grown less fascinated with these types of cards because the background is so questionable. There are enough stories where highly scarce cards that were pulled or not issued ended up in the hands of a single person. A savvy person would then slowly release them to maximize their profits, but sometimes tey just get sloppy and word gets out as to how many they have.

One such story that I can bear witness to is the case of the 1992 University of Washington Huskies Football set. Billy Joe Hobert was apparently initially included, but the cards ended up being pulled after his NCAA scandal broke that year. I came to know that one person that had ALL of the cards that had been pulled. As I noted, he was very slowly releasing them to maintain their scarcity and higher value. The cards do exist and they are no more scarce than any other card from the set except that this person had them all. Eventually they will either hit the market in a similiar way (slowly and expensive), they will all hit at once or they will be lost forever if this person does not see to it that they are passed along to someone after they no longer are alive or own them.

Most of us are aware of the 1992 Donruss Elite Cal Ripken Jr. AU/5000 but have you seen this version of it? https://bit.ly/2m6lCPO

patrick182

Mar 23, 2010
You'd probably need to know how the cards were made back the to know for sure, but my assumption is this (and this could be way wrong too):

Cal was given 5000 cards to sign, maybe even a few extras in case he messed up a few. All of them were unsigned initially and here is where I could be way off, none of them were serialized yet. He signed the 5000 copoies and then those were serialized.

The extra unsigned cards were possibly held back as replacement cards or maybe they were in fact proofs. I have grown less fascinated with these types of cards because the background is so questionable. There are enough stories where highly scarce cards that were pulled or not issued ended up in the hands of a single person. A savvy person would then slowly release them to maximize their profits, but sometimes tey just get sloppy and word gets out as to how many they have.

One such story that I can bear witness to is the case of the 1992 University of Washington Huskies Football set. Billy Joe Hobert was apparently initially included, but the cards ended up being pulled after his NCAA scandal broke that year. I came to know that one person that had ALL of the cards that had been pulled. As I noted, he was very slowly releasing them to maintain their scarcity and higher value. The cards do exist and they are no more scarce than any other card from the set except that this person had them all. Eventually they will either hit the market in a similiar way (slowly and expensive), they will all hit at once or they will be lost forever if this person does not see to it that they are passed along to someone after they no longer are alive or own them.

I appreciate the time you took to comment on this.

I've amended the article with a section that covers one of those claims. Find the additional content below the Instagram image. https://bit.ly/2m7fZRu

Last edited:

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
Cool! I've received a few cards with tamper-proof stickers like this. Is the adhesive a pain to remove after the sticker has been peeled off?

patrick182

Mar 23, 2010
Cool! I've received a few cards with tamper-proof stickers like this. Is the adhesive a pain to remove after the sticker has been peeled off?

Nah, the adhesive is strong enough to stick well but peels off clean and smoothly.

Members online