Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

February Pick-Ups

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
2010CS-CB_zps64800246.jpg

Pros:
It's weird as hell.
It's a 1/1 Topps Heritage cut.
I now own 2 of the 5 2010 Heritage cuts.

Cons:
Clete Boyer
It's weird as hell
You paid how much for a Clete Boyer autograph?
It looks awful
Seriously it's weird and it looks awful

This thiing just doesn't make any sense. At first I didn't even think it was a real auto. I can't even tell what it was cut from. It's all one solid piece, even though it looks like it's all chopped and screwed.

Heritage cuts are hit and miss. I wish they had at least included some sort of picture on the front of the card. It's one of the best hits in the product for Pete's sake.

They did a little better in 2011, and this is one of my favorite cards in my collection for obvious reasons. It's just an amazing piece all around:

2011-62CSRR.jpg

Then they forgot how to card, farted and fell down in 2012:

2012-63CSRH.jpg

Boyer is my only February pickup, the others are only for comparison. Please don't ban me.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
[MENTION=2995]mudflap02[/MENTION] nice additions. You should post more so I can share with you a new Heritage card that should arrive in a week or so.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
As someone mentioned these were a promotional item and given away at the Hawaii industry forum. They were done this way so the company could give away a nice card and connect it to the event without damaging the actual card by stamping it. This was around 10 years ago long before BGS even offered an "authentic" option. It's rare to see these and I imagine some were cracked out but I think for most it's simply a Cabrera Traded Auto in a nice holder. I don't think most see much added value in the fact it was a giveaway and /10 such cards given out at the event...

That is good to know then.Couldn't BGS just put their standard label on it, give it away at conference, and no one care if it has Hawaii exclusive stamped on label?Still doesn't explain sigma_chi's UD Articfacts Cabrera autograph though.

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
How did Topps package those Pack Wards cards?What product were they in?

2005 Topps Pack Wars is one of my favorite sets to bust.

Hobby boxes had 7 packs plus a poker chip boxtopper. Retail was a blister with one pack. I want to say the retail packs sold for about $25-30 or so?

So you open one of your packs. Inside are 3 more packs. 2 "game packs" with 3 base cards each, and one "prize pack" with a hit, either a GU or Auto card. The point was that 2 people would each open one of the game packs, then using some sort of rules which are explained on an insert in the box that nobody paid attention to, one would be the "winner" and would get the contents of the prize pack. Base cards also had a foil variation that was numbered out of 56 for some reason.

The checklist is really good, no redemptions or sticker autos, a very attractive design (for the inserts at least), and a box got you 7 hits, at least 2 of which were autos. There are also GU/Auto cards numbered /200. I've bought 3 or 4 hobby boxes for less than $100 per, and it's way more fun than a blaster. I've completed the auto set, auto/GU set, and (maybe?) the GU set. Not too concerned with finishing the GU set, but Bonds was the last one I needed. It's an unnumbered SP /25.

So yeah, you're supposed to have a friend to open the pack with someone else and play a game. I always ended up just ripping through the whole box in 4 minutes, locked in my room, fingers covered in Cheeto dust.

Result - 9 stars out of 10, would collect again.

My set - http://s190.photobucket.com/user/he...Collection/2005 Topps Pack Wars?sort=9&page=1

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
2005 Topps Pack Wars is one of my favorite sets to bust.

Hobby boxes had 7 packs plus a poker chip boxtopper. Retail was a blister with one pack. I want to say the retail packs sold for about $25-30 or so?

So you open one of your packs. Inside are 3 more packs. 2 "game packs" with 3 base cards each, and one "prize pack" with a hit, either a GU or Auto card. The point was that 2 people would each open one of the game packs, then using some sort of rules which are explained on an insert in the box that nobody paid attention to, one would be the "winner" and would get the contents of the prize pack. Base cards also had a foil variation that was numbered out of 56 for some reason.

The checklist is really good, no redemptions or sticker autos, a very attractive design (for the inserts at least), and a box got you 7 hits, at least 2 of which were autos. There are also GU/Auto cards numbered /200. I've bought 3 or 4 hobby boxes for less than $100 per, and it's way more fun than a blaster. I've completed the auto set, auto/GU set, and (maybe?) the GU set. Not too concerned with finishing the GU set, but Bonds was the last one I needed. It's an unnumbered SP /25.

So yeah, you're supposed to have a friend to open the pack with someone else and play a game. I always ended up just ripping through the whole box in 4 minutes, locked in my room, fingers covered in Cheeto dust.

Result - 9 stars out of 10, would collect again.

My set - http://s190.photobucket.com/user/he...Collection/2005 Topps Pack Wars?sort=9&page=1

I never saw those.Dis you get all the poker chips too?

Halonut

Aug 7, 2008
Here's my pickups for the month thus far...

1996 AA All Star Set w/ Vlad, Konerko, Helton, etc. x2-$5.60 dlvd
$(KGrHqV,!lME+Gl3ky+uBP47,hEnfQ~~60_12.JPG

Hunter Green 2013 Bowman Sterling Gold Ref Auto #/50-$7.37 dlvd
$_57.JPG

Garrett Richards 2012 Natl Treasures Auto Patch #/99-$6.50 dlvd
$_57.JPG

1987 Smokey Bear Angels SGA Set x2 (Joyner Auto, McCaskill Auto)-$5.98 dlvd

$_12.JPG

$_12.JPG

Halonut

Aug 7, 2008
Thanks Andy...been looking to pick up the set for a while just for the Chuck Finley RC. Now I have 2 and the autos are a bonus :)