Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Official Error and Variation Discussion/Reference Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
trying to get a few more of my old 90's insert albums updated tonight and figured i'd come here to post about another foil variation that i've known about for years but have never found mentioned anywhere....

1992 studio heritage inserts....i don't know if this variation affects the entire set , but i do have 3 different cards that feature silver foil (or perhaps it may be better described as a VERY light gold) instead of the normal bronze (or copper) foil....

i have both the regular and silver versions of wade boggs and darryl strawberry so i KNOW that these cards have more than one version...i have ONLY the silver version for ryne sandberg , and ONLY the basic bronze version for other players in the set....

anyone else have any of these or at least any information on them ? intentional ? accidental ? rare ?

i'll try to add scans in the near future.....

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
annnnd.....another one i was unaware of until just a few minutes ago.....

1993 leaf gold rookies.....was about to post a few of my duplicates in one of my inserts-for-sale threads when i discovered a handful with silver foil instead of the usual gold...the foil variation is incredibly easy to spot and affects all the foil on the card front : the leaf logo including the year stamped within the ribbon along with the horizontal bars above and below the nameplate near the bottom.....

i'll have to dig out my set to see if there are any more , but for now i have these with silver foil in hand :

11 kevin rogers
14 phil hiatt
18 benji gil
20 darrell sherman

i'll ak my usual question(s) - anyone else have any of these or at least any information on which cards from this set cards were affected and their rarity/value ?

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT

1993 leaf gold rookies.....was about to post a few of my duplicates in one of my inserts-for-sale threads when i discovered a handful with silver foil instead of the usual gold...the foil variation is incredibly easy to spot and affects all the foil on the card front : the leaf logo including the year stamped within the ribbon along with the horizontal bars above and below the nameplate near the bottom.....

i'll have to dig out my set to see if there are any more , but for now i have these with silver foil in hand :

11 kevin rogers
14 phil hiatt
18 benji gil
20 darrell sherman

i'll ak my usual question(s) - anyone else have any of these or at least any information on which cards from this set cards were affected and their rarity/value ?

I've heard of that one I've seen many different players, been trying to find a Wakefield for about a year now. I've also seen one or two of the Jumbo's with gold and silver foil versions

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
I've heard of that one I've seen many different players, been trying to find a Wakefield for about a year now. I've also seen one or two of the Jumbo's with gold and silver foil versions

i'll check my set shortly (just have to figure out where i stored it when i completed it earlier this year) and see if any in pages are silver or if i can find an extra timmy hiding out among the many unsored boxes here...

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
https://www.freedomcardboard.com/fo...-Leaf-Gold-Leaf-Rookies-Silver-Foil-Variation

11 kevin rogers
14 phil hiatt
18 benji gil
20 darrell sherman

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Anyone heard tell of this as a legitimate 1989 Donruss variation? There's definitely a notch in the line as printed - but does it count as anything? As a player collector, would you add one to your collection?

1989 Donruss DK "chipped" or "broken" vertical line variation

1989-Donruss-Chipped.jpg

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
Man, I don't know. If there are several cards with this variation, I'd count it. If it's a weird one-off printing error, probably not.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I first saw this as an eBay listing. I looked at 14 copies of this card I own. Two of them had the notched line, so that's 3 examples. The notched line is actually thicker than the non-notched line. It looks like the line was corrected with the extra part of the line removed. That in my opinion would make it a variation, but not a rare one. This is card #17 Mark Grace. I have no idea if other 89 DK cards have the same variation.

Jan 14, 2009
I first saw this as an eBay listing. I looked at 14 copies of this card I own. Two of them had the notched line, so that's 3 examples. The notched line is actually thicker than the non-notched line. It looks like the line was corrected with the extra part of the line removed. That in my opinion would make it a variation, but not a rare one. This is card #17 Mark Grace. I have no idea if other 89 DK cards have the same variation.

This variation has been known to me since 2005-ish. Few collectors care about them based on the multiple times I've listed Yount and others on ebay over the years.

Usually there are three types:

1) Askew/thicker portion of line
2) Askew/thicker portion of line, edited (by "hand") to smooth it out but still looks jagged
3) Straight, corrected line

1989 Donruss has a handful of cards that were apparently edited by hand, the most well-known being the DK checklist text.

cardcop05

Nov 15, 2018
NYC
Great post, it's about time there's a thread dedicated to corrected errors & variations!

'91 UD Cecil Fielder/hockey is shown front/back, 2000 Ichiro Retro insert- not supposed to exist (Upper Deck Exclusive) only 10 of each version exists- I have one card of each version.
Topps BB player has MIKE ALSTOTT's name on front in gold (Buccaneers star FB), the '92 Bowman double image- baseball and football with QB FB player on back shown front/back.

2002 Topps Archive UNSIGNED Certified Autographs of stars. I pulled these from boxes & sent them to Topps for autographed versions. THEY KEPT THE ERRORS AND got a Private Investigator (supposedly) to tell me "You pulled them out of the Duryea, PA garbage. We're not sending you anything!", I've never been to Duryea. PA in my life, nor do I know anyone who has!

The Sutter was a third card I pulled from all the boxes I bought from K-Mart (20% off sale) in Secaucus, NJ. They were 14-pack retail $34.99 boxes (12-packs w/two bonus) with one autograph in every 24-packs. I pulled these three "SCREWED UP" cards as Sutter wrote it the best on his card I pulled out of the same 6 retail box lot from K-Mart! Topps may have ripped me off, but I will always have the proof of how badly they can screw up!

CecilERR.jpg

2000Ichiro.JPG

AlstottERR.jpg

PalmeiroERR.jpg

ToppsERRORS.JPG

ToppsERRORS2.JPG

SutterSCREWED.jpg

Last edited:

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Got an image of the #2 hand edited version? Looking at the example below, those are #1 and #3, correct?

1989-Donruss-Chipped.jpg

This variation has been known to me since 2005-ish. Few collectors care about them based on the multiple times I've listed Yount and others on ebay over the years.

Usually there are three types:

1) Askew/thicker portion of line
2) Askew/thicker portion of line, edited (by "hand") to smooth it out but still looks jagged
3) Straight, corrected line

1989 Donruss has a handful of cards that were apparently edited by hand, the most well-known being the DK checklist text.

Last edited:

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
Just looking at those backs on COMC makes me think there are more than three variations. Look at the bottom right card being sold by buymore.

Jan 14, 2009
Just looking at those backs on COMC makes me think there are more than three variations. Look at the bottom right card being sold by buymore.

This is true with Yount, possibly others too.

Back during the Galarraga madness, I sold a lot that had more than 3 versions. Generally there are variances in what I define as the 2nd, or edited, type. That said, I can't confirm that all of the DKs have this issue.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I don't think the vast majority were done on purpose, although some were. Back then, they printed so many cards that there were multiple print runs of the series. They corrected errors when they found them in subsequent printings. Nowdays, products are usually printed in one run, not allowing corrected versions.

So considering 1990 Donruss and 1991 Topps probably contain the most variations ever, do you all think they were done on purpose or not?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I find these kind of variations in the 89-92 era oddly fascinating. For example 1990 Donruss. Millions of little errors and variations, that were later looked for, noticed, and changed. Problems so obscure, I might add, that it's taken decades for the rest of us to find them (!). Small differences in type face (plain, bold, semi-bold), minute changes in text spacing and alignment, freaking periods that come and go, and so on and so on.

It's kind of like the QC was a little lacking at first, but the cards were examined by an army of paid examiners, and they found and fixed all those little problems. That's what HAD to happen. Otherwise, if the just ran the printing presses day and night with the same plates, there would still be lots of errors, but no variations.

One in particular that I wonder about is the "INC" and "INC." variations with Donruss from this era. With this one it's not just one year, it's several years. Meaning during print runs for multiple years they omitted, then included the period (or vice versa). There is a reason for this but who the hell knows what that reason was. Lost to time I guess.

I don't think the vast majority were done on purpose, although some were. Back then, they printed so many cards that there were multiple print runs of the series. They corrected errors when they found them in subsequent printings. Nowdays, products are usually printed in one run, not allowing corrected versions.

Last edited:

Members online