Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jonathan Singleton suspended 50 games for marijuana

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

longbomberz

Aug 11, 2008
The disparity between this punishment and MLB's handling of DUI arrests is embarrassing.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
They know the rules and know the punishment too, no sympathy from me. If I get cut at work have to go get stitches it's a automatic drug test and firing if I test positive for ANYTHING they test for. This is the policy for many places now so I say he got off easy.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I think that's ridiculous. Just my opinion.

But it's the Rule ma'am. And is in MANY workplaces. Down the road maybe not, but currently it is. It's still a Dumb choice by him.

And is it just me or is it kinda weird how many Phillies Farm products have been Suspended for something? I think it's near 40+% of all recent Suspensions.

Not a good way to start the Astros first season in a VERY tough division...

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Its still so funny how people will accept fall over drunk people but heavens forbid you smoke a lil weed your a drug abuser. How many people died in DWI car wrecks as opposed to driving with weed in you.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
But it's the Rule ma'am. And is in MANY workplaces. Down the road maybe not, but currently it is. It's still a Dumb choice by him.

And is it just me or is it kinda weird how many Phillies Farm products have been Suspended for something? I think it's near 40+% of all recent Suspensions.

Not a good way to start the Astros first season in a VERY tough division...

Oh I know it's the rules. I just think the rules are bs. The same suspension for pot as steroids? That's just stupid.

cub4life78

Jan 1, 2013
Tx
They know the rules and know the punishment too, no sympathy from me. If I get cut at work have to go get stitches it's a automatic drug test and firing if I test positive for ANYTHING they test for. This is the policy for many places now so I say he got off easy.

THIS!

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Oh I know it's the rules. I just think the rules are bs. The same suspension for pot as steroids? That's just stupid.

I don't see how it's stupid. For now, recreational marijuana is not legal to use. Like someone said, in the future who knows what the case will be but right now the MLB is correctly punishing users because in my opinion whether it becomes legalized or not that's not something MLB players should be actively engaging in just because there are so many young fans that look up to the ballplayers. The MLB wants to avoid Michael Phelps-like photos from spreading. So, right now with marijuana carrying the illegal stigma it does the MLB is correct with punishing caught users. Now that is not to say that their punishment for marijuana is consistent with other punishments (I think steroids are worse for the game than marijuana), and of course the MLB, and this country as a whole, has clearly not done enough to prevent tragic drunk driving accidents. In the future assuming marijuana does become legal to use hopefully the MLB will adopt something like a don't ask don't tell policy.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
I don't see how it's stupid. For now, recreational marijuana is not legal to use. Like someone said, in the future who knows what the case will be but right now the MLB is correctly punishing users because in my opinion whether it becomes legalized or not that's not something MLB players should be actively engaging in just because there are so many young fans that look up to the ballplayers. The MLB wants to avoid Michael Phelps-like photos from spreading. So, right now with marijuana carrying the illegal stigma it does the MLB is correct with punishing caught users. Now that is not to say that their punishment for marijuana is consistent with other punishments (I think steroids are worse for the game than marijuana), and of course the MLB, and this country as a whole, has clearly not done enough to prevent tragic drunk driving accidents. In the future assuming marijuana does become legal to use hopefully the MLB will adopt something like a don't ask don't tell policy.

My question would be this then. In states where marijuana is legal (Washington and Colorado) (or legal with a medical card - California), why would he be punished? I'm just saying that as more and more states legalize marijuana - it's going to be ridiculous that a minor league player can get a 50 game suspension.

Members online

Latest posts