Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Weirdest place you've attended a card show

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
A couple for me.

About 30 years ago, there used to be a big show in the horse stables by the original white plains show promoter (minus the horses of course.)

I also attended a show in a boxing gym under the Brooklyn bridge.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Androidsdungeon_zpswp74jhwu.jpg

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Loaded question for me. The seediest place was a sex toy shop around 1993 or so. The card show was in a vacant room attached to the sex toy shop in Dayton, OH. There were 3 entrances from the card show to the toy shop and yes, some kids did wander into the sex toy shop by accident. Believe it or not, sales were good that day considering location and what else they could have spent money on. Come to find out, the sex toy shop owner was an avid card collector.

Fordman
Sell me your Jay Bruce cards!

kryslarry

May 19, 2010
Nor-Cal
San Francisco Cow Palace. There is a huge show every year, but the one I remember was right on the heels of a rodeo (I think), and it smelled like cow dung and horse manure. Powerful smell! Still had bits of hay everywhere. I didn't think they were supposed to have the animals inside where the pavilion was, I guess I was wrong!

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
The Alamodome. I drove down to San Antonio a couple years ago to attend a show. The flyer listed a street address instead of saying,"In the Alamodome," so I didn't even know where I was going. When I got there, I see the Alamodome and big crowds. Was it a Texas National I hadn't heard of? No, it was a Rangers/Astros exhibition game. It cost about $32 to park and enter, which pissed me off because the flyer also said free admission, omitting everything else. Once I got in there, and walking around the whole place trying to find it, I found the same dozen dealers I see at every other show in the area with the same tired goods. I had to look really hard to find something to buy. I think I just found a couple low-end Frank Thomases, but I don't even remember. I was just stewing the whole time. But on the bright side, I got to see actual major league baseball within an hour of my house. I posted pictures in a thread here, showing the very odd park configuration, like barely 300 feet down the right field line and at least 450 feet to left center.

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
South Jersey- Near Philly
A pizza place. The owner's friend had some dealers set up there right after he bought the place next store and broke through the wall creating a larger store. He did it for a few months until he put seats, equipment etc. What is better than cards, pizza and hot waitresses/counter girls under the same roof?

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
San Francisco Cow Palace. There is a huge show every year, but the one I remember was right on the heels of a rodeo (I think), and it smelled like cow dung and horse manure. Powerful smell! Still had bits of hay everywhere. I didn't think they were supposed to have the animals inside where the pavilion was, I guess I was wrong!

I came here to mention this one, I believe it was the 1997 Labor Day weekend show. I recall it being the circus in town but you could be right about the rodeo...either way it smelled like a barn. They had it at a different location the next year.

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
This is the best one so far. :eek:

Loaded question for me. The seediest place was a sex toy shop around 1993 or so. The card show was in a vacant room attached to the sex toy shop in Dayton, OH. There were 3 entrances from the card show to the toy shop and yes, some kids did wander into the sex toy shop by accident. Believe it or not, sales were good that day considering location and what else they could have spent money on. Come to find out, the sex toy shop owner was an avid card collector.

Fordman
Sell me your Jay Bruce cards!

kryslarry

May 19, 2010
Nor-Cal
I came here to mention this one, I believe it was the 1997 Labor Day weekend show. I recall it being the circus in town but you could be right about the rodeo...either way it smelled like a barn. They had it at a different location the next year.
The only reason I say it was a rodeo (or something like it) was all the cow haulers outside. Could have been a circus, but they usually had food stuff (tents etc.) and takes a day or so to pack it all up to leave. Maybe the cow haulers were for the next event? That place does all kinds of crazy things!

Members online

Latest posts