Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is this a case of false advertising by Topps??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Luck15Hope

Jan 11, 2012
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-TOPPS-TRIBUTE-Buster-Posey-01-10-LIMITED-PRODUCTION-GU-WS-RELIC-COA-1-1-/161642640116?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a2a6f2f4

I came across this 2015 Tribute Posey card and noticed that on the back it states that "THE RELIC EMBEDDED IN THIS CARD IS FROM THE 2014 WORLD SERIES". When you lookup the hologram on the front it references that "SWATCHES REEMOVED FROM BALL LABELED WITH HOLOGRAM LH699186".

Could Topps wording posted above simply mean they acquired this ball at the 2014 World Series although it was not actually used during the 2014 World Series? It is a vague statement either way and can be interpreted in numerous ways, but it is clear which way Topps wants the consumer to interpret it since, after all, they did put it in all caps.

When you lookup the second hologram number that the first number references, it states that these swatches came from the following which is clearly not from a ball used during the 2014 World Series.

Or is this a case of me simply misinterpreting the hologram numbers on the MLB authentication program website?
Hologram number LH699186 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under GAME-USED BASEBALL.
Session Product Description:
Game: BUSTER POSEY FIRST CAREER HIT GAME

Session Name: SF AT LAD
Session Date: September 19, 2009
Autographer:
Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.
Additional Information: BOT 6TH MARTINEZ PITCHING TO KEMP - FOULED AT PLATE

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
It could have been a mis-handled ball by the topps employee and we all know that would never happen! :rolleyes:

Fordman

Last edited:

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Hologram number HZ274459 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under GAME-USED BASEBALL.

Session Name: TOPPS BASE CARD AUTHENTICATION
Session Date: November 25, 2014
Autographer:
Additional Information: SWATCHES REEMOVED FROM BALL LABELED WITH HOLOGRAM BB455288.

Autographer:
Additional Information: SWATCHES REEMOVED FROM BALL LABELED WITH HOLOGRAM LH699186.

Last edited:

Luck15Hope

Jan 11, 2012
It could have been a mis-handled ball by the topps employee and we all know that would never happen! :rolleyes:

Fordman

Never! I dont think thats even an option here. . .lol :rolleyes:

Hologram number HZ274459 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under GAME-USED BASEBALL.

Autographer:
Additional Information: SWATCHES REEMOVED FROM BALL LABELED WITH HOLOGRAM BB455288.

Autographer:
Additional Information: SWATCHES REEMOVED FROM BALL LABELED WITH HOLOGRAM LH699186.

Pine,

What are you implying with this post?

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Hmm , I'd say its def worded wrong and that it isn't a WS ball. Esp since the holo matches a game BP would have played in. I'd see if you can get any response from Topps to see what they say. Also it's removed, not reemoved for whatever company is posting that info.

Ryan

Luck15Hope

Jan 11, 2012
The last two digits are 69 and not 59

Here is your info
. Just another sad case of Topps wonderful lack of QC and their continued reliance on unreliable employees & contractors. Posey ball from 2009 and certainly NOT from the 2014 World Series

Hologram number HZ274469 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under GAME-USED BASEBALL.
Autographer:
Additional Information: SWATCHES REMOVED FROM BALL LABELED WITH HOLOGRAM LH699186

Hologram number LH699186 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under GAME-USED BASEBALL.
Game: BUSTER POSEY FIRST CAREER HIT GAME
Session Name: SF AT LAD
Session Date: September 19, 2009
Autographer:
Additional Information: BOT 6TH MARTINEZ PITCHING TO KEMP - FOULED AT PLATE

Yeah, thats the same information that I pulled up in the OP. Thought I had looked it up wrong or something, but I guess not. I didnt notice in Pine Tars post that he posted the number ending in 59 either. Now his post makes a little more sense, although incorrect. The game used ball from the one Pine posted is from a Tom Glavine strikeout game between the Mets and Diamondbacks in 2007. I believe the ending is correct at 69.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Yeah, thats the same information that I pulled up in the OP. Thought I had looked it up wrong or something, but I guess not. I didnt notice in Pine Tars post that he posted the number ending in 59 either. Now his post makes a little more sense, although incorrect. The game used ball from the one Pine posted is from a Tom Glavine strikeout game between the Mets and Diamondbacks in 2007. I believe the ending is correct at 69.

Not sure how that even got posted under my user name. I wa just looking up both of the numbers. I did not even come on here and post. But I guess since I was on my phone, it happened to put both in some kind of document and then uploaded here. I know it ended in 69 I was just seeing what 59 was on MLB.

Oh well

Luck15Hope

Jan 11, 2012
Hey, at least it's game used! That's exciting news to hear, right guys?

not only is it really game used, but it's from a significant game, Posey's first hit! Good enough, right?
Lol, I see what you guys are saying. The point I was trying to make with this thread was about the wording on the back of the card which states that this relic is from the 2014 World Series. The fact of whether or not it is truly game used is not the issue of this thread.

If you look at other examples of these cards from the same set of other players, they include a little story of a specific game and state that the relic is from that particular "MILESTONE EVENT" mentioned in the story on the back of the card. Most of these match up with the event stated, for example this Justin Verlander from his no hitter game, which by the way wasnt even thrown by Verlander, rather by the opposing teams pitcher at the time. http://www.ebay.com/itm/JUSTIN-VERL...650?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2edf19a9ca This card has on the back "THE RELIC EMBEDDED IN THIS CARD IS FROM THE MILESTONE EVENT DESCRIBED ABOVE".

The posey however states it is from the 2014 World Series, which it clearly is not.

Last edited:

Luck15Hope

Jan 11, 2012
Really that Verlander isn't from his no-no game ?

Ryan
I believe that the Verlander is from his no hitter game. All I mentioned was that it was not a ball thrown by Verlander. Rather, the identification identifies it as a ball thrown by the opposing teams pitcher to Peralta during that same game. I have not double checked, but if my memory is correct then that is what I read for this identification number.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I believe that the Verlander is from his no hitter game. All I mentioned was that it was not a ball thrown by Verlander. Rather, the identification identifies it as a ball thrown by the opposing teams pitcher to Peralta during that same game. I have not double checked, but if my memory is correct then that is what I read for this identification number.

Ah , I misread or read into your post incorrectly. I was thinking you meant it was from a game where the opposing pitcher threw the no hitter against JV. Makes more sense now, thx

Ryan

Members online