Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Please help me identify this Pacific logo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

westusmc

Jan 16, 2016
Tulsa, OK
I'm trying to identify this Pacific Embossed logo that I bought recently.

I can make out
... Annual
Winter Show
... VA (Virginia I assume)
Jan ...

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• small.jpg
    small.jpg
    434.3 KB · Views: 44

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I think it was [MENTION=1845]gracecollector[/MENTION] who had a chart of these on his site. He may be able to tell.

I would think a better picture would be needed too though.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
I can hardly see it but you can search cansecocollector.com for pacific embossed. I may have a similar clearer one that is labeled. Maybe a Super bowl one?

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Can you take the pic at a couple more angles so we can compare to our collections of these?

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Could be fake too. People paying a premium for average cards with a special embossed stamp that is barely readable sounds like an easy way to make some coin.

Generally speaking, they embossed current year cards at shows, ones pulled from packs you had to buy at the show from what I have heard. Unless there was a show that allowed anything to be stamped, then the card year may help with the search. What year is the card?

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Thank you for the link. I'm pretty sure it is 1998 Richmond, VA based on the link info. Grace Collector didn't have an image of that specific show, but it's the only one in VA out of everything listed and it's 1998. I think my card says either 1998 or 1999.

Just saw this thread. I'll dig out my Richmond card and compare it to your scans tonight

flarick

Apr 30, 2009
South Florida

I can make out
... Annual
Winter Show
Jan ...

That is a card from the 1998 TUFF STUFF 9th Annual Winter Show in Richmond, VA that was held January 9-11, 1998. I've attached 5 different Griffey cards that were embossed at the Pacific Pavilion during that show. An exemplar of the embossed show stamp is included with each card. Pacific did over 60 different shows from 1997-2003 where different cancels were applied to cards.

2019-01-23-0004.jpg 2019-01-23-0003.jpg 2019-01-23-0005.jpg 2019-01-23-0006.jpg 2019-01-23-0007.jpg

cardcop05

Nov 15, 2018
NYC

I can make out
... Annual
Winter Show
Jan ...

You're lucky you made out as much as you did!
No one will be able to identify more from your picture unless they were at that exact same show, cracked a box of that year's Pacific product, and they got one card of their choice emboss stamped by Pacific at that show and know exactly where that card is (which is very rare by now). Pacific's stamps were always hard to read. Plus they'd either hire someone to stamp the cards (which means the first hundred cards are so light, you can't make out much of anything), or they used a Playoff employee who never used the stamping machine before (same result; bad stamps).

This was done fairly commonly at fairly large shows (200+ tables) in the 1990's. Score Board started this by handing out special PROMOS at specific shows only by 1991. Then the Shaquille O'Neal Score Board show promos were selling for $200.00-$300.00 EACH before Shaq ever played an NBA game (and they were selling EASILY across the country for those prices for many months!). They are now practically worthless because every card was produced in numbers FAR GREATER than Score Board made people think!
But unknown to Ken Goldin's father Paul Goldin (the REAL owner of Score Board/Classic Games) pimple faced young Kenny was going to large Cherry Hill, NJ shows in 1992 and selling these promos for $1-$5.00 each and had (800) count boxes of each (or more hidden UNDER the table) this was the beginning of the HUGE GREED of Ken Goldin!!! But at least all the autographs that came DIRECTLY from Score Board were authentic, but if it's second hand; YOU MUST ASSUME IT'S A FORGERY because of the AWFUL WAY the new CEO John F. White (who pushed Ken Goldin OUT in 1996) released autographs without COA's and COA's without autographs. So there are more Scoard Board forgeries in the hobby now than real ones with that DUMB SB COA (which has also been reproduced long after Score Board was gone)!
One last word about Score Board: any 1997 "PSA GRADED" Basketball Autographs that ARE NOT PSA GRADED are forgeries! PSA only graded autographs of three players and NONE OF THEM WERE SUPERSTARS like :Tim Duncan, Allen Iverson, and Kobe Bryant! Yet I see people buying them on eBay everyday for decent bucks! See ungraded forgery pics... Marcus Camby autos were properly graded by PSA, so were Antoine Walker see those pics also.
97SBAllenIversonForgery2.jpg 97SBKobeFORGERYRed4.jpg

1998Ink-CredibleScoreBoardCAMBYAutoREAL.jpg 1998SB InkCredible AWalker PSA Graded REAL Autograph.jpg

By the early 2000's card companies only stamped cards at The National, The Chicago yearly huge show, The Hawaii Trade Conference, and sometimes at the NFL Experience (the card show at each Super Bowl site). I was at the 2001 National and both Playoff & Pacific were stamping cards. Playoff stamped with a goil foil seal one card per box opened in front of Tracy Hackler, and Pacific embossed stamped one card for opening a box in front of their representative as well.
Even though many more of these stamped cards are found from HUGE Shows like The National, they are EXTREMELY difficult to find a player you collect. Then due to BAD STAMPING, finding one with a clear stamp is ever harder. I say; you don't need thease for your player collection unless you pick one up for the price of the card WITHOUT ANY STAMP!

flarick

Apr 30, 2009
South Florida
You're lucky you made out as much as you did!
No one will be able to identify more from your picture unless they were at that exact same show, cracked a box of that year's Pacific product, and they got one card of their choice emboss stamped by Pacific at that show and know exactly where that card is (which is very rare by now). Pacific's stamps were always hard to read. Plus they'd either hire someone to stamp the cards (which means the first hundred cards are so light, you can't make out much of anything), or they used a Playoff employee who never used the stamping machine before (same result; bad stamps).

This was done fairly commonly at fairly large shows (200+ tables) in the 1990's. Score Board started this by handing out special PROMOS at specific shows only by 1991. Then the Shaquille O'Neal Score Board show promos were selling for $200.00-$300.00 EACH before Shaq ever played an NBA game (and they were selling EASILY across the country for those prices for many months!). They are now practically worthless because every card was produced in numbers FAR GREATER than Score Board made people think!
But unknown to Ken Goldin's father Paul Goldin (the REAL owner of Score Board/Classic Games) pimple faced young Kenny was going to large Cherry Hill, NJ shows in 1992 and selling these promos for $1-$5.00 each and had (800) count boxes of each (or more hidden UNDER the table) this was the beginning of the HUGE GREED of Ken Goldin!!! But at least all the autographs that came DIRECTLY from Score Board were authentic, but if it's second hand; YOU MUST ASSUME IT'S A FORGERY because of the AWFUL WAY the new CEO John F. White (who pushed Ken Goldin OUT in 1996) released autographs without COA's and COA's without autographs. So there are more Scoard Board forgeries in the hobby now than real ones with that DUMB SB COA (which has also been reproduced long after Score Board was gone)!
One last word about Score Board: any 1997 "PSA GRADED" Basketball Autographs that ARE NOT PSA GRADED are forgeries! PSA only graded autographs of three players and NONE OF THEM WERE SUPERSTARS like :Tim Duncan, Allen Iverson, and Kobe Bryant! Yet I see people buying them on eBay everyday for decent bucks! See ungraded forgery pics... Marcus Camby autos were properly graded by PSA, so were Antoine Walker see those pics also.
View attachment 86463 View attachment 86464

View attachment 86465 View attachment 86466

By the early 2000's card companies only stamped cards at The National, The Chicago yearly huge show, The Hawaii Trade Conference, and sometimes at the NFL Experience (the card show at each Super Bowl site). I was at the 2001 National and both Playoff & Pacific were stamping cards. Playoff stamped with a goil foil seal one card per box opened in front of Tracy Hackler, and Pacific embossed stamped one card for opening a box in front of their representative as well.
Even though many more of these stamped cards are found from HUGE Shows like The National, they are EXTREMELY difficult to find a player you collect. Then due to BAD STAMPING, finding one with a clear stamp is ever harder. I say; you don't need thease for your player collection unless you pick one up for the price of the card WITHOUT ANY STAMP!

Pacific provided embossed cancels at 63 different shows from 1997-2003. As a Griffey, Jr. collector, I have obtained embossed cards from 50 of those 63 shows. I now have 146 different Griffey Pacific embossed cards from those 50 shows. I have images of all of the show cancels so they are easy to identify under glancing light.

Members online