Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Classic eBay shipping cost question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TGutta

May 30, 2010
Minnetonka, Minnesota
So I purchased something on eBay that had a shipping cost of $20. Got the package in today to see that it was shipped medium flat rate, roughly $12 cost. I was willing to pay the $20 shipping price and put in my max total bid to reflect that, but as a buyer would you be upset that the seller is making extra money by charging more for shipping? Not sure if I should message the seller about it, ding him a little on shipping feedback, or just let it be. What would you do?

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
Not sure on how much you spent, but looks like seller is recouping fees associated with selling on ebay...

Right off the bat, from the $20.00 shipping, $3.00 is going to paypal & ebay.
So you now are at $15.00, If you spent $50 on the ebay item, then that's $5.00 in ebay FVF fees...

timtom

Apr 24, 2013
Nashville, TN
I believe that shipping and handling should cover shipping and handling. I recognize that ebay takes a portion of the charged shipping in fees.

Generally if the charged shipping is much higher than actual shipping then I will ding them on the shipping feedback.

Just my opinion
Dan

TGutta

May 30, 2010
Minnetonka, Minnesota
The actual sale price of the auction was only $1.25 + the shipping charge. I feel like I got a good deal overall on the auction. As a seller I can somewhat understand what he is trying to do, but as a buyer it just rubs me the wrong way. The seller was actually not too far from me and I asked him if he would accept a local pick-up to get rid of the shipping charge before I even bid on the auction and he said no. I knew the shipping charge was high, I just didn't know how much it would actually cost him to ship the items and now that I received the package I see that it only cost him a medium flat rate.

TGutta

May 30, 2010
Minnetonka, Minnesota
a buck and a quarter and charges 20 for shipping? Holy crap! call Ebay right now! Wow!

Part of me feels that way, but at the same time I knew the shipping charge going into the auction and put in my bid accordingly. Now I never thought I would win the auction, let alone that cheap but I feel like the extra money he is pocketing for the shipping charge is a way to make up for the low ending price. It isn't my fault he chose to list it that way and not get the most out of it. I'm sure the shipping cost scared some buyers away.

I got a good deal on it so I'm really not complaining about the money that I paid, it's just the fact that I could have gotten it cheaper had he charged the actual cost of shipping. Heck if he would have done a local pick-up I would have given him more than the $1.25 just because. Could have met him halfway and given him $10 so we would both get a better deal out of it.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
a buck and a quarter and charges 20 for shipping? Holy crap! call Ebay right now! Wow!

Were the ebay fees $1.25 or the price of the card??

I say, you agreed to it, and figured it into your offer. If you get it safely, move on. Much bigger stuff in life to worry about. Maybe send a msg telling him that for $20, you expected more and won't be back.

What was the price of the item, could it have also had insurance on it?

If the price of the card was only $1.25 and you agreed to pay 20 in shipping, I say , you ding your own feedback.

Last edited:

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
So he could have started the auction at $22.00 with free shipping and then it would not have mattered and you would have still bought it..

Let us know what you bought and we can judge better...

TGutta

May 30, 2010
Minnetonka, Minnesota
If the price of the card was only $1.25 and you agreed to pay 20 in shipping, I say , you ding your own feedback.

It wasn't a card that I bought.

So he could have started the auction at $22.00 with free shipping and then it would not have mattered and you would have still bought it..

Let us know what you bought and we can judge better...

Yes, I still would have bought it. It was for a lot of 5 bobbleheads/figurines. I knew going in what the shipping price was, but he didn't pay that much for shipping on his end so he pocketed the difference. I think you might be thinking I'm making a huge deal of this but I'm not. I will likely not message him at all and just ding him a bit on his shipping. I was just asking people's opinions on what they would do in the same situation where you are overcharged for shipping.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
I know that when I am listing something like bobbleheads, it's hard to quess what Shipping will be..

Did he ship it in a Priority Box? I know that in years past as a seller when I would look at suggested shipping fees, they would be high one time and less the next depending on where it's shipped to.

I'm sure everyone complains when they pay the high S&H fees on Amazon as well..

I have paid high S&H fees in the past, but I got the items safe and I knew what the cost was before I bid.. I gave 5 stars..

Good luck,

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
Messed up he wouldn't allow local pick up. Seems to me he knew he was trying to make a few extra bucks on shipping.

Ding his stars and move on is my suggestion.

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but in my opinion you knew the cost going into it and he got the item to you safely. I always just leave the five stars on shipping in that case. I'm not going to sweat how much they paid on the actually shipping cost, my main hang up is getting the item safely, as long as that happens I'm good.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but in my opinion you knew the cost going into it and he got the item to you safely. I always just leave the five stars on shipping in that case. I'm not going to sweat how much they paid on the actually shipping cost, my main hang up is getting the item safely, as long as that happens I'm good.

Couldn't agree more.

Also, send an email over the star ding. Let the guy know, you expected more for $20 in shipping. Saying nothing and dinging stars, is the easy/cheap way out. If you are upset, let the guy know, if not, move on.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
If he charged you $8 shipping and it was in a medium flat rate, would you feel bad for the seller and offer to cover the difference?

heartyourlife

Jul 29, 2010
Iowa City, IA
I just went through this with a seller, and see it like this:

While you as a buyer know the shipping cost going into a purchase, there's an expectation that the seller (should) know what their cost is to ship said item as well. I'm happy paying ANY shipping cost, regardless of how much it is, AS LONG AS IT'S JUSTIFIED.

Example: If someone is charging me $8 to ship something, as long as they are spending close to that amount, taking into account any packaging materials used, then I'm totally happy to pay $8. But when I pay $8 for shipping and an item shows up packaged in a cereal box with some brown paper wrapped around it and the actual shipping cost was $3.47, then I'm pissed because I just put $4.50 into the seller's pocket for no reason. In my opinion, the expectations that come with an $8 shipping charge were not met, and I'm blatantly being taken advantage of.

heartyourlife

Jul 29, 2010
Iowa City, IA
If he charged you $8 shipping and it was in a medium flat rate, would you feel bad for the seller and offer to cover the difference?

Not in the slightest. If a seller doesn't do their homework and figure out the most cost effective way to ship an item that's on them. They are setting the shipping cost.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
It's not like there's no way for the seller to know how much something costs to ship before he shows up at the post office. Unless it's something that has to go freight and depends on zip code and all that, when I sell something of unusual size or weight, I box that thing up and get the price ahead of time.

bcubs

Apr 8, 2009
Springfield, IL
I love Ebay shipping threads, after all these years they never get old. I always leave positive feedback and 5 stars if I get the item timely and securely. I don't care if they charge me $10 to ship and it costs them 10 cents. I knew what it was and was comfortable with that charge when I bought the item. My expectations are not based on shipping cost, they are based on timeliness and security.

TGutta

May 30, 2010
Minnetonka, Minnesota
I was never complaining about the price I paid for shipping since I knew the cost up front and factored that into my bid. I just feel like in certain situations it is shady of the seller to charge a certain price for shipping knowing that it will cost them less. In the end, I contacted the seller and we discussed it and everything is 100% fine. Left positive feedback and let him know what I was thinking in case he deals with someone in the future who will actually make a fuss about it.

Rabs

Jan 25, 2011
Land O Lakes, FL
I'm with you since I account for the s/h price as part of what I am paying for a card. If I pay $1 and $9 shipping, it's the same as buying the same card for $10 and free shipping. I really don't care about it as a buyer. Besides, don't sellers get fees taken out on the sale price and the shipping price? So how does the seller benefit?