Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The interesting (and VERY important) '63 Fleer set

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I'm sure there's plenty of people on this board who knows about this product.

But since it's mostly modern collectors, here is something you all should know about because it shaped our hobby

Back in 1963, fleer entered the baseball card market despite Topps' monopoly.

It was a small set only featuring 66 cards but it included superstars of the day such as Clemente, Koufax, Mays etc.

Despite this the most expensive card is the short printed checklist and a slugger named Joe Adc.o.c.k (another SP) is in the same range as the mega stars.

And although fleer had no problems skirting Topps monopoly, they didn't issue gum with the cards instead inserting a cherry flavored cookie.

"It was pretty bad and looked ugly" said one time Fleer PR man Ted Taylor.

"You wouldn't feed it to your dog" he said.

Several years before the 1963 set was issued, fleer started signing minor-league players to exclusive contracts hoping they would make the majors and using those players in their sets.

But by '63, ninety percent of those minor leagues were still in the majors so Fleer decided to abandon this method and go head to head with topps.

The set is a very small at 66 cards, and the reason for it being so small is because Topps issued an injunction on Fleer for using Topps's exclusive players.

Not having the resources, Fleer conceded and stop production.

The original plans were to have 400 to 500 cards in the series.

The '63 set was dead after one series and Fleer had to sign a 15 year non competition contract.

One notable card is the Maury Wills rookie as he held out signing with Topps until '67 because a scout said u wouldn't make the majors topps didn't offer him a contract.

Once the fifteen year non competition contract ended, Fleer went to court again and this time won which lead to Topps' end of the monopoly.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Last edited:

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Whoa whoa whoa....."some guy"? Please respect the powerful former Milwaukee World Champion. Even if the board's swear filter doesn't!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Whoa whoa whoa....."some guy"? Please respect the powerful former Milwaukee World Champion. Even if the board's swear filter doesn't!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry about that, fixed.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
Great read and thanks for the background. I think this was a GREAT looking set; you can't beat the setup and the colors. One of my favorite Brooksie cards comes from this set...

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Completed the set and the checklist is indeed difficult!
Those cookies were horrible and I was an 11 year old eating them....almost all cookies tasted good then!
DANNY

Dec 4, 2008
Monster of a card. Sold instantly with a buy it now when I posted it to ebay nearly 10 years ago...guess I should have asked for more!

63davenport.jpg

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Monster of a card. Sold instantly with a buy it now when I posted it to ebay nearly 10 years ago...guess I should have asked for more!

View attachment 57580

That is a great card even if it is of a scrub. The simple design, clean looks and very nice photography (at least on this card) is what interests me in this set.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
Does anyone have a nice '63 Fleer Brooks to post? I can't seem to locate mine currently; the copy I have isn't in the greatest shape and a bit off center as well. One day I'll pick up a nice one.

Will Style 13

Feb 9, 2012
York, PA
63 Fleer has always been intriguing to me. It predates my Dad's collecting years. I honestly don't think I own any. I should try to change that someday.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Great looking cards. Never realized the significance. Did fleer reprint a few of these at some point because I swear I had a few.
Someday I'll put together a vintage set.

Members online

No members online now.