Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What Hobby Box should I get out of this list?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

21ccl

Aug 26, 2012
Thanks for your helping!

the boxs are
2008 Razor Signature Series Baseball Box
2008 Topps Series 1 Baseball Jumbo HTA Box
2008 Tristar Projections High# Series Baseball Hobby Box
2006 Upper Deck Future Stars Baseball Hobby Box
2004 Upper Deck SP Prospects Baseball Hobby Box

Last edited:

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Definitely NOT this:

One of these:
2008 Topps Series 1 Baseball Jumbo HTA Box (Jumbos are always fun)
Or these:
2004 Upper Deck SP Prospects Baseball Hobby Box (tons of autos, a few good names but also a LOT of guys that never made it so odds are against you)

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Depends what you're interested in.
The Topps box is great for starting a set and getting star cards and cool inserts.
The others are prospect sets, obviously.
With the 2004 SP box, you have a chance to pull autographed rookies of some stars like Pedroia, but since it's ten years old, 95% of the prospects never became anything.

21ccl

Aug 26, 2012
Definitely NOT this:

One of these:
2008 Topps Series 1 Baseball Jumbo HTA Box (Jumbos are always fun)
Or these:
2004 Upper Deck SP Prospects Baseball Hobby Box (tons of autos, a few good names but also a LOT of guys that never made it so odds are against you)
What about 2008 topps chrome?

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Definitely stay away from razor and tristar they are absolutely awful.

I strongly disagree calling Razor garbage.

Razor boxes are dirt cheap, are a fun rip with an auto per pack, and you can pull autos of stars and decent players like posey, blackmon, lynn, alvarez, hosmer, smoak, matusz, lawrie, cashner, chisenhall, wieters, stanton and mercer.

21ccl

Aug 26, 2012
I strongly disagree calling Razor garbage.

Razor boxes are dirt cheap, are a fun rip with an auto per pack, and you can pull autos of stars and decent players like posey, blackmon, lynn, alvarez, hosmer, smoak, matusz, lawrie, cashner, chisenhall, wieters, stanton and mercer.
so u saying out all of them, you would choose Razor? How about Tristar?

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
so u saying out all of them, you would choose Razor? How about Tristar?

yes, I'd bust razor if it were my decision. I have the base set and lots of autos from boxes I've already busted, but it's hard to beat a great shot as a star MLB'er, especially posey or wieters - for less than $3/auto or have a great chance of pulling anybody who is in the MLB now or has made their MLB debut but currently takes the MiLB/MLB shuttle.

2008 Topps Series 1 - already have the base set. Judging for other topps flagship boxes I've pulled over the years, relics have been meh so I can't imagine opening a jumbo box would be that spectacular to get decent autos/relic cards for the PC and have to try to get rid of the base/inserts that I already have or don't care for keeping.

2008 Tristar Projections - pretty sure I busted this one in 2009 or 2010 and have the base set plus a few autos from that product. If my memory is wrong about this product, this would take priority over Razor for the box I'd choose so I could bust for working toward the base set and have the benefit of a few autos as a bonus

don't care about 2006 UD Future Stars

I busted 2-3 boxes of 2004 UD SP Prospects in 2005 or 2006 so I have the base set plus enough autos from that release to satisfy me

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
I'd take a 2004 Sp Prospects box.

Possible RCs:

Scott Kazmir, Yadier Molina, Ben Zobrist, Alfredo Simon

Possible RC autographs:

Homer Bailey, Phil Hughes, Hunter Pence, Gio Gonzalez, Neil Walker, Trevor Plouffe, Huston Street, Ben Zobrist, Seth Smith

Of course this set has a tremendous amount of duds so it's really a crap shoot.

Members online

Latest posts