Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Adam Dunn says he's retiring after A's lose Wildcard game.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
ESPN -- Oakland Athletics designated hitter Adam Dunn is retiring, he told ESPN's Pedro Gomez after Tuesday's wild-card game.

"I guess the computer got me," a disappointed Dunn said, referring to the A's "Moneyball" tactics.

Dunn, 34, did not play in the Athletics' 9-8, 12-inning loss to the Kansas City Royals.

The Athletics prioritized defense over the potential for more scoring chances with a surprise starting lineup. Manager Bob Melvin put Sam Fuld in left field and Geovany Soto at catcher, two obvious nods to defense. The ripple effect knocked the power-hitting Dunn from the lineup. Stephen Vogt was at first base, leaving Brandon Moss in the designated hitter spot.

It would have been Dunn's first postseason game.
Instead, Dunn retires after 14 big league seasons and 2,001 games without ever playing in the postseason.

Dunn had batted just .212 with a .316 on-base percentage since coming over to Oakland and was 7-for-35 (.200) with 16 strikeouts in his career against Tuesday's Royals starter, James Shields.

Melvin went out of his way Tuesday afternoon to inform Dunn of the decision.

"I let him know what we're looking at so he's not surprised when he sees the lineup," Melvin said. "All our guys know that we do things a little differently here at times. We're trying to play for the day."

Last edited:

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Sucks that he never got an AB last night. :-(

From the team's perspective you have to do everything in your power to give yourself the best chance to win, and I'm sure they hoped to have a series where they'd definitely have a chance to get Dunn in a game or two, but that really rough.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Yanks will offer him a 5 year 100 million dollar contract no doubt.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

nomar_collector

Apr 21, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Anyone want to negotiate for my Dunn auto and GU player collection? It's sizable. Not as great as 1-2 others here, but still great. I'm just tired of collecting right now. PM me if you want to know more.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Dunn was one of my first big grading scores. Bought a Bowman Chrome RC for $10, got it graded 9.5, sold for $175. I was like, why don't I do this every day?

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
He had said earlier this season he was thinking of retiring after this year.

I don't blame him, he's a got a great future in Hollywood ahead of him. After Dallas Buyers Club, he's got free reign with the city.

Houstonmustangracer

Sep 23, 2014
Spring, Tx.
He had said earlier this season he was thinking of retiring after this year.

I don't blame him, he's a got a great future in Hollywood ahead of him. After Dallas Buyers Club, he's got free reign with the city.

I had to Google what you were referring to. Had no idea he made a cameo as the bartender in DBC. Saw a screenshot on there and I completely missed it when I saw the movie.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
Yanks will offer him a 5 year 100 million dollar contract no doubt.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

:grin:

Dunn was one of my first big grading scores. Bought a Bowman Chrome RC for $10, got it graded 9.5, sold for $175. I was like, why don't I do this every day?

Wow! Was it a regular Bowman Chrome Rookie or a Refractor, International Refractor or Gold Refractor? 9.5 Chrome Dunn rookies sell for around $10 these days.

Members online

Latest posts