Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What would you do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Interesting/strange eBay situation.

I saw a card with a $350 BIN/BO and made an offer of $200. The seller countered with $325. I responded with around $250, and he replied that he would do $300 off of eBay. After some discussions with people I recently made the decision not to move eBay deals off of eBay (feeling that eBay provides a service and therefore using their site without them getting paid was something I was not comfortable with) so I sent a message saying I was not interested in going off eBay, but if he countered with $300 on eBay I would take it, but basically I understood if he wanted to get more for it.

I come to my computer this evening and see that he countered with $290. I notice a message in my inbox where he says, "counter with $300 and I'll accept it." Seemed like a pretty strange scenario, but the question was: I had agreed in writing to a price tag of $300. Was there any reason to counter with $300 to stand by the price I had agreed on, or just take the card at $290?

I'll add what I actually did in a bit, now curious to hear people's thoughts. Thanks.

alexs64

Jul 28, 2010
Moreno Valley, Ca
Maybe it is his way of making sure you are good at the $300 price. I wouldn't have done that, but it does allow you to be a stand up buyer and enter the price agreed upon. Strange yes, too far out there? Not really. Put up the agreed 3 bills and call it a deal. If he doesn't accept then I am not sure what else you can do. Just my opinion.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Thanks for the responses. I countered with $300 with a note asking why he did not just send that number. He accepted it and responded that he had not seen my message and sent the counter first, then sent me the message. I had agreed at that price and so I have no problem with it. Funny situation (and I found out subsequently that based on previous sales I significantly overpaid) but is a sweet card so not such big deal.

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
For a card worth that much, and the amount you spend on cards, I woulda just countered $300 too, whats $10 at that point.

Also, That gold posey auto you bought....drooooool

I only have 1 posey gold auto....but it has a dinged corner and nasty surface marks, would maybe grade a 7, but i got it soooooo cheap.

But that PSA 9 was beautiful looking, and a pretty solid price for it.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
For a card worth that much, and the amount you spend on cards, I woulda just countered $300 too, whats $10 at that point.

Also, That gold posey auto you bought....drooooool

I only have 1 posey gold auto....but it has a dinged corner and nasty surface marks, would maybe grade a 7, but i got it soooooo cheap.

But that PSA 9 was beautiful looking, and a pretty solid price for it.

Yup, I did counter with $300.

I appreciate the comment on the Posey. Feel free to send a pm if you want to discuss and see if we can work something on it.

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
Yup, I did counter with $300.

I appreciate the comment on the Posey. Feel free to send a pm if you want to discuss and see if we can work something on it.

Oh man, I would have to sell most of my PC to get that card for the price I assume you're asking for it (950-1k yah?)

And thanks, the last couple people who I've brought up their past ebay auctions freak the freak out, it's just somethign I do to pas the time, I have an infatuation with clicking people's ebay tags and lookign at all the past auctions. It's fun to see what different people buy and sell, and to see the steals they buy/cards they overpay for/great card sell prices/horrible card sell prices.

Last edited:

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Oh man, I would have to sell most of my PC to get that card for the price I assume you're asking for it (950-1k yah?)

And thanks, the last couple people who I've brought up their past ebay auctions freak the freak out, it's just somethign I do to pas the time, I have an infatuation with clicking people's ebay tags and lookign at all the past auctions. It's fun to see what different people buy and sell, and to see the steals they buy/cards they overpay for/great card sell prices/horrible card sell prices.

I'd be in the $1000 range. I've been in touch with the guy who has the BGS 9 on eBay and he told me he's received numerous offers for $1100 or more so at say $1050 I figure I make a little and it allows a buyer to make a little.

I have no problem, although at times I think people get annoyed because sometimes buyers feel like if you got a deal then you should pass on some of the discount. In this case I am happy to do so (at a price I think is on the "low end of reasonable" ) but I can understand people not always feeling that way. Did you see the Clemente I just overpaid for lol?

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
I'd be in the $1000 range. I've been in touch with the guy who has the BGS 9 on eBay and he told me he's received numerous offers for $1100 or more so at say $1050 I figure I make a little and it allows a buyer to make a little.

I have no problem, although at times I think people get annoyed because sometimes buyers feel like if you got a deal then you should pass on some of the discount. In this case I am happy to do so (at a price I think is on the "low end of reasonable" ) but I can understand people not always feeling that way. Did you see the Clemente I just overpaid for lol?

lol no, im also pretty lazy, instead of searching for all auctions, i just click the ebay badge on the left and then click the feedback score, i didnt see a clemente.

Also, you must have JUST listed that kershaw, i thought you collect him??

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
lol no, im also pretty lazy, instead of searching for all auctions, i just click the ebay badge on the left and then click the feedback score, i didnt see a clemente.

Also, you must have JUST listed that kershaw, i thought you collect him??

I like Kershaw a lot but I bought a ton of his cards in the last few months because I figured with the Playoffs and possible MVP, he should see a nice jump in prices. While I think they will continue to go up, they've jumped enough already that I want to hedge my bets a little and take some of the profits. Still have 5 base, 2 base 9.5, 4 refractors, 5 refractor 9.5's, and a blue refractor besides the xfractor...

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
I like Kershaw a lot but I bought a ton of his cards in the last few months because I figured with the Playoffs and possible MVP, he should see a nice jump in prices. While I think they will continue to go up, they've jumped enough already that I want to hedge my bets a little and take some of the profits. Still have 5 base, 2 base 9.5, 4 refractors, 5 refractor 9.5's, and a blue refractor besides the xfractor...

I love the look of xfractors, I'd keep it and give up a refractor 9.5 for more money right? :p Thats just me though, I LOVE XFRACTOR AUTOS. Red>Gold/Xfractor>Blue>Orange (my personal PREFERANCE AND OPINION.....just in case [MENTION=2738]uniquebaseballcards[/MENTION] tries to tell me im wrong...)

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
I love the look of xfractors, I'd keep it and give up a refractor 9.5 for more money right? :p Thats just me though, I LOVE XFRACTOR AUTOS. Red>Gold/Xfractor>Blue>Orange (my personal PREFERANCE AND OPINION.....just in case @uniquebaseballcards tries to tell me im wrong...)

I'm actually more partial to the refractors, and the xfractors are a little more volatile when it comes to pricing. I think many either love it or hate it, so the prices move around a bit.

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
I'm actually more partial to the refractors, and the xfractors are a little more volatile when it comes to pricing. I think many either love it or hate it, so the prices move around a bit.

You nailed it on the head!

I would say there are very few who actually have no opinions on Xfractors, and I think MOST people dont like them, hence why they no longer exist.

On some occasions (like my posey xfractor auto) i paid BARELY any more than i paid for BASE AUTO. But for Kershaw, I remember back in 07 or 08 paying almost the price of a blue for the Xfractor.

Just like everything int he hobby: to each his/her own!

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
You nailed it on the head!

I would say there are very few who actually have no opinions on Xfractors, and I think MOST people dont like them, hence why they no longer exist.

On some occasions (like my posey xfractor auto) i paid BARELY any more than i paid for BASE AUTO. But for Kershaw, I remember back in 07 or 08 paying almost the price of a blue for the Xfractor.

Just like everything int he hobby: to each his/her own!
So true!

Members online