Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Are sellers required to reimburse buyers for return shipping?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

longbomberz

Aug 11, 2008
I sold a card, buyer said they didn't like the condition and would like to return the card for a full refund or a 50% partial. I said to send it back to me and I would issue a full refund. They reply with "Are you going to reimburse me the 3.49$ to ship it back too? And if so will do.".

Leaving out the part where it shouldn't be anywhere close to $3.49 to ship one card, am I as the seller required to reimburse the buyer for return shipping?

A_Pharis

I sold a card, buyer said they didn't like the condition and would like to return the card for a full refund or a 50% partial. I said to send it back to me and I would issue a full refund. They reply with "Are you going to reimburse me the 3.49$ to ship it back too? And if so will do.".

Leaving out the part where it shouldn't be anywhere close to $3.49 to ship one card, am I as the seller required to reimburse the buyer for return shipping?

Nope. In fact, if he claims through PayPal I think they make him ship it back on his cost. May not be the standard, though.

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL

He is definitely required to pay for the return shipping with tracking, the same as you are required to use when shipping to him. He's just trying to scam, tell him he's a ******.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Shipping is on him. Out of curiosity how much did you charge him for shipping?

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
He has to pay return shipping himself, not you, it says so in Paypal's ToS.

I would also make a statement that in the return, a refund will be issued as long a sthe card comes back in the SAME CONDITION. I got burned on one return and the guy completely jacked up all 4 corners, got his refund in full, and left a negative. Garbage.

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
Look at the auction page a few rows below the sale price. There is a spot where it says whether the buyer or seller pays return shipping.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Of course, if the return is because of something that's your fault (like you sending the wrong card), reimbursing the buyer's return-shipping expense is the responsible thing to do.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Of course, if the return is because of something that's your fault (like you sending the wrong card), reimbursing the buyer's return-shipping expense is the responsible thing to do.
Agreed. Not sure if that was clear in my post.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Like most have said, it is the buyers responsibility to fund the return shipping. However, if you concede to the notion that you were less than clear about the condition and/or he has a legitimate claim as to the condition of the card with regards to the described condition not meeting the standards of actual condition, then the right thing to do as a credible seller would be to refund return shipping as well.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I had an item come unprotected in a manilla envelope...3 inch crease edge to edge across the corner. I'll return it for a full refund plus return shipping, I shouldn't pay for a seller's poor shipment practices. If he won't pay to return, I'll keep it and he gets a neutral.

How is it a positive transaction if I'm losing money and get no item...or pay for a damaged item?

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
You actually pick buyer or seller pays return shipping in the auction setup, though I think it defaults to buyer pays. Either way, I agree that if it's on me that they need to do a return, I'll pay it.

longbomberz

Aug 11, 2008
Like most have said, it is the buyers responsibility to fund the return shipping. However, if you concede to the notion that you were less than clear about the condition and/or he has a legitimate claim as to the condition of the card with regards to the described condition not meeting the standards of actual condition, then the right thing to do as a credible seller would be to refund return shipping as well.

I ended up just saying I'd cover return shipping to bring the conversation to a close.

The card was a ~70 pt stock card that I pulled and listed within a few days that looked fine to me. Buyer said the corners were too worn for him. I described the card as NR-MT/MT or better and have a large scan that makes the entire card easily viewable with the zoom function. I would think what he described fits into NR-MT/MT.

I know "the customer is always right", but it's just frustrating when people don't look at what they buy. Thanks to everyone for their input. I will have to review my descriptions going forward.

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
I ended up just saying I'd cover return shipping to bring the conversation to a close.

The card was a ~70 pt stock card that I pulled and listed within a few days that looked fine to me. Buyer said the corners were too worn for him. I described the card as NR-MT/MT or better and have a large scan that makes the entire card easily viewable with the zoom function. I would think what he described fits into NR-MT/MT.

I know "the customer is always right", but it's just frustrating when people don't look at what they buy. Thanks to everyone for their input. I will have to review my descriptions going forward.

If the card comes back way more damaged than when you shipped it you can try to blame it on the buyer if you believe he purposefully damaged it. instead of shipping and hope ebay has sympathy for once.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
He is definitely required to pay for the return shipping with tracking, the same as you are required to use when shipping to him. He's just trying to scam, tell him he's a ******.

I just received a card damaged in shipping due to the seller's improper shipping techniques. I understand under eBay's rules, I'm out the $1.69 to ship it back to him. However, just because someone wants a refund, doesn't mean they're "a ******". Cards do get damaged, or are misrepresented in auctions.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
This happened to me just a few weeks ago. He shipped it back and I gave a full refund.

eBay charged me an additional $1.69 in fees to cover his shipping. I'm guessing they forwarded that on to him.

The screen shot:

Shipping_zps7cc75abd.jpg

TwinsWin

Mar 14, 2011
I have sent a lot of bobblehead a back and never once has a seller paid for return shipping