Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Baseball likely to ban home plate collisions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
You guys crying over this act like this is a fundamental aspect of the game. How many times does it happen in a year? 50 out of 2,500 games?

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
The NFL and now the MLB?? Collisions hardly ever happen. It's a part of the game. If the catcher is blocking the plate what is the runner supposed to do besides run him over. These sports are turning into the biggest sissy sports I've ever seen.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
When I was in high school in 1990, I collided with a catcher and fractured my wrist.
The catcher cried and I was just happy I scored. (Delayed pain)

So I missed the rest of the season with a cast on my arm.

Did I whine or did my parents complain and urge for new rules?
Of course not.
It's baseball. Sports are physical. There are risks.

Football is already being pussified, and now baseball is facing similar rules.
And it's because of rare injuries to high profile players like Buster *****, I mean Posey.

great post

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Isn't this already illegal? I mean, fielders by rule aren't allowed to block a runner's path to a base but catcher's blocking the plate is just one of those things that is allowed anyway. I can understand why people paying millions of dollars to a guy don't want their players to just be offered up to a 200-pound guy running top speed, especially if they can't keep an eye on both him and the ball, but it's always the catcher's option to get out of the way.

trauty

Oct 8, 2010
When I was in high school in 1990, I collided with a catcher and fractured my wrist.

Of course not.

And it's because of rare injuries to high profile players like Buster *****, I mean Posey.

Yeah, and unless the run you scored was the winning run in the state championship game, it wasn't worth it. You missed the rest of the season (and possibly caused the catcher to miss time as well) -- all so you could score 1 run. One run is not worth the risk. I don't mind the natural collisions at the plate but when a guy is going to be out by more than a few feet he shouldn't be allowed to lower his shoulder and run over the catcher to try to jar the ball loose -- this isn't football. All they would have to do is make a rule that as long as the catcher clearly possesses the ball for a beat or 2 then the runner is out on a collision even if the ball comes out. It would make it futile to try to plow the catcher over and would make it more beneficial to try to avoid the tag.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana

Of course not.

In my day, this was an automatic out at home. If there was an imminent play, you must slide. If you didn't slide, you were out.

I've seen guys leap over a catcher and evade a tag to only be called out because they didn't slide at home. Personally, I've never seen collisions at the high school level.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
People hate change. No matter how small. I agree with you too.

I don't ever want to see a catcher get a season ending injury or killed due to some guy trying to blow him up. The other factor in these collisions are that catchers usually have their helmets off, and are taking unnecessary blows to their heads. It's a safety issue and a future and current health issue. I'm all for the change.

seitas

Aug 7, 2008
In my day, this was an automatic out at home. If there was an imminent play, you must slide. If you didn't slide, you were out.

I've seen guys leap over a catcher and evade a tag to only be called out because they didn't slide at home. Personally, I've never seen collisions at the high school level.

There is a no-collision rule at every level of baseball except when you become a professional. You cannot run over the catcher in college or high school...it is an automatic out.
All the tough guys that are calling this a sissy move....play football, you can hit each other all day long and enjoy your 3 year career and your early descent into senility and post concussion syndrome. There is a good reason that sports are trying to protect their athletes and it's not just financial. All of the recent suicides that involve former NFL guys that had multiple concussions should be a huge red flag to everyone that enjoys sports and the athletes that play them.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
There is a no-collision rule at every level of baseball except when you become a professional. You cannot run over the catcher in college or high school...it is an automatic out.
All the tough guys that are calling this a sissy move....play football, you can hit each other all day long and enjoy your 3 year career and your early descent into senility and post concussion syndrome. There is a good reason that sports are trying to protect their athletes and it's not just financial. All of the recent suicides that involve former NFL guys that had multiple concussions should be a huge red flag to everyone that enjoys sports and the athletes that play them.

Agree.

I played football at a high level for many years and am lucky that I suffered only one diagnosed concussion. It wasn't pretty. I was a left tackle running down an interception returner when I was blindsided and my head hit the astroturf (essentially concrete). I have zero recollection of what happened the rest of the game but teammates knew something was wrong when I was throwing up on the team bus on the way to the airport. I'd like to tell you that flight was awful from Boston to Indiana but again I remember nothing about that trip other than the start of the game.

I think most people who have never suffered a major concussion think its simply a headache. That's not how I'd describe it.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
People hate change. No matter how small. I agree with you too.

i don't hate change as much as I hate the fact this change is dumbing down the game. Grown men play it, can make their own decisions whether to play the game or not, and can try to get rid of the tools of ignorance and learn another position if they don't like the prospect of being clobbered at the plate a few times a year.

I just hope baseball will chill out on the bans of aggressive plays to not go as far as the NFL who will
be playing flag football in the not-too-distant future to avoid serious injuries to players.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
i don't hate change as much as I hate the fact this change is dumbing down the game. Grown men play it, can make their own decisions whether to play the game or not, and can try to get rid of the tools of ignorance and learn another position if they don't like the prospect of being clobbered at the plate a few times a year.

I just hope baseball will chill out on the bans of aggressive plays to not go as far as the NFL who will
be playing flag football in the not-too-distant future to avoid serious injuries to players.

Football is a totally different story. The game when it was invented, had men tackling each other with thin leather helmets and no face masks. The men who played then had to actually tackle, not hit the offensive player. With helmet advancements the defender (and offensive player) started using them as a weapon, not protection. Fastest way to decrease concussions in the NFL is to take the face mask off the helmet and force players to keep their head out of the action.

Baseball is not a collision sport. Hell I'd rank soccer higher in the contact sport category. There is no need for a collision at all. No other part of the game is determined based on the physicality of the offensive player facing off against the defensive player. Why should that be changed at the final base?

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
I might have missed it because I started skimming after seeing some of the long posts, but what will actually happen if a collision is banned, but imminent? Does the runner have to pull up and get tagged? Or does the catcher have to get out of the way and try some kind of slap tag or something? I'm confused

Wes

OG
Administrator
Collisions like this are idiotic. Banning them is long overdue. Putting player's seasons, or in some cases careers on the line for the perverse spectacle of one guy running into another guy who may or may not be looking is a terrible tradeoff for the game. The Posey injury is a perfect example of this. The game lost one of its brightest stars for 2/3 of a season because collisions weren't outlawed. Good trade? Did anybody enjoy that collision? The same thing goes for the outfield walls. Put more padding on those. I don't need to see Bryce Harper or Matt Kemp knock himself out for two months because there wasn't enough protection on a wall.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts