Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

TIL that MLB has a Lifetime Pass it issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Jose Bautista tweeted a picture of his out

I've never heard of this until I saw his.

Apparently, with the card, the holder and a guest can get into any game, any time.

Here are 4 facts about it:

1. You can't get one unless you are an MLB player or MLB front office staff who has met the requirements. Players get them after 8 years of full-time major league service (172 days=1 year). Front office staff get them after 25 years of full-time major league service.

2. Actually, suggesting the cards travel by mail isn't that far off! Merhige and a colleague split up gold card duties by league (American/National). They run a report every year of who is set to earn the card that year and distribute them to teams when each player's time comes. I suspect a slightly more secure delivery option than snail mail is used, but that is purely speculation.

3. The cards aren't actually gold, they're gold "toned"

4. Technically speaking, it's not a "forever" card, it's a lifetime card, so unless the cardholder has somehow mastered the art of immortality, it will one day become useless. Once the cardholder dies it can't be transferred and can't stay in the family. It loses its power and simply becomes a rectangular, gold-toned collector's item.

Aug 3, 2014
Here are a couple of them from Hall of Fame members. These are in my collection. These are all from 1934-35. Paper pass, solid silver pass, solid gold pass. The were only 17 of the gold passes ever issued. Newer passes look a little different. A few of those are in the collection too, but these three seemed like the best to post.
2_Hamilton_paper_lifetime.jpg7_Sewell_lifetime.jpg5_Wallace_gold_lifetime.jpg

Attachments

• 2.5_wallace_lifetime.jpg
    2.5_wallace_lifetime.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 41
Aug 3, 2014
In that case here are a few more that look a little different. There are more, but the others are of similar design. Lots of variations of lifetime passes. The Haddix pass shown is actually leather. The first in 1934 were paper which were replaced with (1935) solid silver (10 or more years played), or solid gold (20+ years), then they were gold toned (issued in various years) and leather passes. The Wynn pass is the kind given to HoFers for entry into the HOF but looks similar to other passes given to non-members. Passes like the Zwilling and Wallace passes were generally recognized in the minors. I've got a couple of other variations that are gold toned, and one that is more like a credit card. They actually get use and I haven't seen reason to scan them as images.
..13_Cronin_front_lifetime.jpg12_Parker_lifetime.jpg10_Haddix_leather.jpg10.5_Wynn_HOF_lifetime.jpg8_Zwilling_lifetime.jpg2.5_wallace_lifetime.jpg

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
In that case here are a few more that look a little different. There are more, but the others are of similar design. Lots of variations of lifetime passes. The Haddix pass shown is actually leather. The first in 1934 were paper which were replaced with (1935) solid silver (10 or more years played), or solid gold (20+ years), then they were gold toned (issued in various years) and leather passes. The Wynn pass is the kind given to HoFers for entry into the HOF but looks similar to other passes given to non-members. Passes like the Zwilling and Wallace passes were generally recognized in the minors. I've got a couple of other variations that are gold toned, and one that is more like a credit card. They actually get use and I haven't seen reason to scan them as images.
..View attachment 46984View attachment 46985View attachment 46986View attachment 46987View attachment 46988View attachment 46989

Umm yeah...why aren't you posting more? Great info and great photos!

A_Pharis

..View attachment 46984View attachment 46985View attachment 46986View attachment 46987View attachment 46988View attachment 46989

I highly anticipate anything you ever post. Great info.

Aug 3, 2014
Kind of a fun letter from Walter Johnson thanking Ford Frick for the lifetime pass. Johnson was one of the 17 players awarded the solid gold pass after putting in 21 years with the Senators. Those passes are pretty rare.
2.25 Johnson, Walter thank you for pass letter to Ford Frick.jpeg

Aug 3, 2014
Yes it is. There has been some good fortune. Luck always helps. The passes are more of a secondary focus of the collection though. It's more concentrated on signatures of members of the Hall of Fame. There's a website in the works that might highlight some of the signatures.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Yes it is. There has been some good fortune. Luck always helps. The passes are more of a secondary focus of the collection though. It's more concentrated on signatures of members of the Hall of Fame. There's a website in the works that might highlight some of the signatures.

Wow, yeah, you definitely need to post more!

Members online