Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Todd Frazier Traded to the White Sox in 3-Team Deal (Includes Johnson/Thompson/Montas/Peraza)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
The gyst of it:

Todd Frazier to the White Sox.

Micah Johnson, Trayce Thompson, Frankie Montas traded to the Dodgers.

Jose Peraza, Scott Schebler and Brandon Dixon traded to the Reds.

Last edited:

zlpeterson

Sep 23, 2015
San Francisco
I don't think that trade makes much sense from the Reds either, outside of Peraza not exactly lighting the world on fire with those pick ups.

I would've preferred for the Reds to hold onto both Frazier and Chapman, wait until the deadline and get a contender to overpay.

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City
I don't think that trade makes much sense from the Reds either, outside of Peraza not exactly lighting the world on fire with those pick ups.

I would've preferred for the Reds to hold onto both Frazier and Chapman, wait until the deadline and get a contender to overpay.

Since the latest CBA were type A and B free agents were eliminated there has been less overpaying for next year free agents at the trade deadline. Way less.

zlpeterson

Sep 23, 2015
San Francisco
I think Frazier is only on the books for $4 or $5M this year too, I just don't see the return worth it at this point. Maybe it all works out, in general I'm just down on the Reds front office after the last two off seasons so I'm seeing everything in a negative light.

zlpeterson

Sep 23, 2015
San Francisco
Yes Dodgers definitely came out on top. I'm not really sure what the White Sox front office is doing either. Over the last 5 years it's a rollercoaster of "we're in rebuilding mode" or "we're going for broke this season" and the results have obviously been horrible with this failure to decide which mode they're in.

As much as I don't like this trade for the Reds, if I was a White Sox fan I'd be even more upset.

BigBlueCollector

Dec 16, 2009
Kentucky
I will admit that this sets the Dodgers up nicely to go after the Yankees' Andrew Miller, depending on whether the Yankees are interested in the prospects the Dodgers were willing to give up beforehand or any of the ones they added in this trade.

Yes Dodgers definitely came out on top. I'm not really sure what the White Sox front office is doing either. Over the last 5 years it's a rollercoaster of "we're in rebuilding mode" or "we're going for broke this season" and the results have obviously been horrible with this failure to decide which mode they're in.

As much as I don't like this trade for the Reds, if I was a White Sox fan I'd be even more upset.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
The Reds are freeing up cash. They're getting what they can for Frazier. Frazier's going to demand 12-15mil per year after next year. The Reds are bloated with Votto's, Phillips's and Homer Bailey's contracts. I see Bruce riding his contract out without an offer from the Reds. Chapman has personal baggage no team wants to touch now with him basically on an asylum visa. I also believe the Billy Hamilton experiment is over as well.

Fordman

zlpeterson

Sep 23, 2015
San Francisco
If the Reds were simply freeing up cash would've made more sense to move Phillips (who plays Peraza's position) and makes 3 times what Frazier makes. Hold on to your cheap, all star 3B.

New rumors surfacing that Peraza is going to play 3B (unless BP is also dealt), Cozart at SS, Phillips at 2B (but the Nats are tossing out offers to pick up BP). The Reds are also rumored front runners to land Cuban SS Alfredo Rodriguez when he hits the market.

gogosox40

Mar 16, 2010
Chicagoland

I'm not upset at all. I like this deal. The sox have not had a decent 3b since Joe Crede. The White Sox were never in a rebuilding mode. I can't remember when they last blew up the team maybe 1997 the famous white flag trades. They always are in building mode. They now have protection for Abreu since Laroche can't hit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Freedom Card Board mobile app

zlpeterson

Sep 23, 2015
San Francisco
I'm not upset at all. I like this deal. The sox have not had a decent 3b since Joe Crede. The White Sox were never in a rebuilding mode. I can't remember when they last blew up the team maybe 1997 the famous white flag trades. They always are in building mode. They now have protection for Abreu since Laroche can't hit.

I guess the question is; do you think the White Sox are going to compete for a title, hell even a division title, in the next two years? After that Frazier is gone. If so then yes it was a good trade.

brian26

Nov 12, 2010
I wouldn't assume Frazier is gone. He could easily be signed. He seems like a good fit for the low-key South Side.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I love what the Sox got. I like what the Dodgers got. I absolutely hate what the Reds got.

brian26

Nov 12, 2010
I completely agree with you. What do you think about the deal?

A little bit surprised they gave up on Trayce, and in many ways it seems like a classic White Sox deal (shipping away a boatload of prospects). I like it though. When you have Sale, Quintana and Rodon, you need to strike with the fire still hot. I think they're going to sign Upton or Gordon now too.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
I love what the Sox got. I like what the Dodgers got. I absolutely hate what the Reds got.
Yeah the trade doesn't make much sense for the Reds. White Sox did well...Frazier is a top flight 3B and they didn't give up much to get him. I think Montas won't make it as a starter (as he's a 2 pitch pitcher) and Micah Johnson might become a decent 2B, but still needs a lot of work defensively.

Members online