Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rickey Henderson Collectors Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rickeyfanatic

Aug 15, 2008
MA
Hey Brian, I see your wantlist has some * next to the top 10's.. Are these by chance the "help from Kens" ? :confused:

I'm not certain if the next generation would have the same affinity we all have for Rickey. We all watched him play, in our generation. The cards we chase are from time frames in our lives. I surely won't be buried with them, but I don't think my son would carry the torch. He likes Pedroia, and Aaron Rodgers, but he's seen the card world from a different perspective. Everything he sees is high end, big dollar, flashy items. He looks at base cards like they are worthless, these kids don't know what a tough regional issue is. These kids can't even afford the "hobby"....

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
There were 2 on eBay about 7 years ago. I waited because I thought I had time. I did not. Was going to pull the trigger then a 2nd popped up so I waited. Got nothing.

This year my focus is knocking my list down and adding cards I always wanted. So far it has started well.

This notice is required by law.

rickeyfanatic

Aug 15, 2008
MA
I'm kind of on the same path as you. I've totally given up on all the new cards. I don't have the passion for them. I want to focus solely on the 1997-2002 items, with the occasional sets I like from 03-05 mixed in. I'd rather have the money to buy say 3 of the older items than 35 of the newer. They just mean something different to me.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
Right. I passed on all Leaf Exhibits and Polo Ground and such. No desire for those. 04-05 Fabric of the Game I don't have either, nor desire. If someone gave them to me, I would keep, but not spending money on those when I could buy others. I've gotten to the point where I have to really like the card or chased it for a long time to buy it.

rickeyfanatic

Aug 15, 2008
MA
You have much of the same mentality on the same sets.. Diamond Kings, Polo's, Sportscasters, Exhibits, are all one's I pass on unless the deal is for pennies.. I love the 05 Absolute, Probably my favorite newer other than Prime Patches (even though I'd rather see other teams than the Dodgers).

Being a Red Sox fan, the 2002 year is fun for me in a lot of ways. I get more thrill out of seeing a rare insert from the late 90's in the mailbox than most other patches etc..

rickeyfanatic

Aug 15, 2008
MA
Hey guys, I may have asked this before, but can't remember. Does this card exist? Scan?

1999 SP Signature Autographs Gold #RHE NOAU

I've never seen one, and want to erase it off the list if it's not available.

h2oya311

Feb 14, 2013
The 'burbs of Phoenix
Now that's what I'm talking about!! Much more activity going on in this thread!

While I didn't pick up the most recent '77 Chong PSA 7, I do now own two - one in an SGC 86 holder and another in a BVG 4.5 (although I think PSA would give the latter a grade of 6 and/or an 8 OC). If any of you have an interest in my BVG graded example, let me know. I was planning on cracking and submitting to PSA, but I'd rather avoid the hassle. I know it's at the top of many want-lists, so let me know if any of you would be interested. It's been in my collection since 2004!! Time to find a new home!

Mine for now:
1977%20Henderson.jpg

Mine forever (perhaps I'll be buried with it):
1977%20Henderson%20SGC.jpg

alwayson22

Dec 6, 2010
San Jose, CA
Now that's what I'm talking about!! Much more activity going on in this thread!

While I didn't pick up the most recent '77 Chong PSA 7, I do now own two - one in an SGC 86 holder and another in a BVG 4.5 (although I think PSA would give the latter a grade of 6 and/or an 8 OC). If any of you have an interest in my BVG graded example, let me know. I was planning on cracking and submitting to PSA, but I'd rather avoid the hassle. I know it's at the top of many want-lists, so let me know if any of you would be interested. It's been in my collection since 2004!! Time to find a new home!

Mine for now:
1977 Henderson.jpg

Mine forever (perhaps I'll be buried with it):
1977 Henderson SGC.jpg

Pm sent

rickeyfanatic

Aug 15, 2008
MA
With Opaearth (Scott) selling out, and I'm sure we've all had some success with his liquidation, how does that effect the market with one less Henderson collector out there? He's had some cool serial numbered and GU cards that were a bit tougher to track down, so each Sunday we get a chance at a new round. Any of you guys get something you really had been trying hard for?

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
Got the 96 Aficionado Artist Proof to go with 1st Pitch Preview Ken is getting me. Missed on some others that went higher than I wanted.

h2oya311

Feb 14, 2013
The 'burbs of Phoenix
picked up the '99 10th Anniversary Team Triple (#/100), '97 Ultra Platinum, and '99 E-X Century Essential Credentials Now (#/83), all of which I've missed on in the past and wasn't going to let up this time around. He had some great stuff this past Sunday!

rickeyfanatic

Aug 15, 2008
MA
picked up the '99 10th Anniversary Team Triple (#/100), '97 Ultra Platinum, and '99 E-X Century Essential Credentials Now (#/83), all of which I've missed on in the past and wasn't going to let up this time around. He had some great stuff this past Sunday!

At least I know who I lost them to now :D

Latest posts