Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2014 Leaf Memories 1992 Buybacks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
As posted earlier I found my O'neill 1/1 on eBay for a BIN 149.99. I gave it a few days and the an offer of $30.00. Quickly a counter offer was made at $65. I politely responed:

Thanks for the counter offer but I am going to pass. I got the 2013 1/1 under $20. I thought it would be cool to get the '14 but its just a bit too steep for an aftermarket non licensed non auto. If you can do any closer to my offer let me know. If not good luck with the card. I know how hard it is to retrieve/recoup from cracking boxes. Thanks for your time, Kevin in CT.

He then responded $35 and its yours. Even thats a bit nuts but I really have not made many PC purchases so its now on the way. I was happy there are sellers that work with buyers even if it was a tad bit high.
Further proof that often a deal can be worked out through polite and courteous communication. Sometimes people are far too quick to go with a napalm approach because of a perception that a seller is being greedy. Congrats on the pickup.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Further proof that often a deal can be worked out through polite and courteous communication. Sometimes people are far too quick to go with a napalm approach because of a perception that a seller is being greedy. Congrats on the pickup.

This is true but I'd say his example went pretty well and is not the norm... for every one situations like this that I run up against, I run up against 3 that do not.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
And I understand that . I also wasn't speaking of irreplaceable type items. I meant more along the lines of things you could have a shot at purchasing again down the road. But if you can fight the urge , good for you

Ryan

This is what I thought you meant to. Obviously irreplaceable items are hard to give up and are likely priceless, but if theres a card you bought for 5 dollars and you can sell for 1000+ that you can buy at a reasonable price and is easily accessible in the future, you are absolutely insane to not sell and rebuy later.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
As posted earlier I found my O'neill 1/1 on eBay for a BIN 149.99. I gave it a few days and the an offer of $30.00. Quickly a counter offer was made at $65. I politely responed:

Thanks for the counter offer but I am going to pass. I got the 2013 1/1 under $20. I thought it would be cool to get the '14 but its just a bit too steep for an aftermarket non licensed non auto. If you can do any closer to my offer let me know. If not good luck with the card. I know how hard it is to retrieve/recoup from cracking boxes. Thanks for your time, Kevin in CT.

He then responded $35 and its yours. Even thats a bit nuts but I really have not made many PC purchases so its now on the way. I was happy there are sellers that work with buyers even if it was a tad bit high.

You certainly have better luck with them than I do.

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
And I understand that . I also wasn't speaking of irreplaceable type items. I meant more along the lines of things you could have a shot at purchasing again down the road. But if you can fight the urge , good for you

Ryan

This is what I thought you meant to. Obviously irreplaceable items are hard to give up and are likely priceless, but if theres a card you bought for 5 dollars and you can sell for 1000+ that you can buy at a reasonable price and is easily accessible in the future, you are absolutely insane to not sell and rebuy later.

My bad! The catch is that it's a total gamble on what's easily replaceable. I'm still chasing some cards that are /25 and you'd think they'd have shown up once in the last 8-10 years. I've also seriously overpaid for what should have been an easily accessible card, only to never see it again.

If I was offered $1000 for a $5 card that I had multiple copies of, then of course I'd probably sell it. The value in duplicates is having multiples of a card I especially like (glove cards), variations (different patches), or having cards I can use later to trade for cards I don't have yet. For some collectors it's only about the cards and not the money. So selling my duplicate to profit $250 may not help me add to my collection in the long run, because the other collector won't sell.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
I just received my 1/5 Butler. I was entering it into my site's database and was reminded that player collectors should be on the lookout for variations within the /5 buybacks - look for INC and INC. Some player collectors might get 'lucky' and find that Leaf purchased and stamped both variations.

Checked mine:
2012 /20 INC.

1/1 INC.

2/5 INC.
3/5 INC.
4/5 INC.
5/5 INC.

My 2014 1/1 is incoming. Will update. I know these say buyback but are the actually bought or do they have this stuff in stock?

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Checked mine:
2012 /20 INC.

1/1 INC.

2/5 INC.
3/5 INC.
4/5 INC.
5/5 INC.

My 2014 1/1 is incoming. Will update. I know these say buyback but are the actually bought or do they have this stuff in stock?
Sorry. I forgot to mention that only the 2014/1992 buybacks had the INC/INC. variation. Now if we were talking about Donruss, then it's a whole 'nother ballgame.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Checked mine:
2012 /20 INC.

1/1 INC.

2/5 INC.
3/5 INC.
4/5 INC.
5/5 INC.

It's a safe bet these are bought on the secondary market, since the Leaf that made them and the Leaf that's selling them now aren't really the same company.

diwhite

Oct 14, 2012
And I would think they didn't even know or care about the "INC/INC." variations, so looking for certain versions is pretty pointless.

From looking at ebay auctions with photos of the backs of the 1992 buybacks, it looks like both variations are out there. I think you are right that they didn't know or didn't care about the variations.

Also, for anyone who doesn't know, here's a pretty good reference page for variations from this era:
http://www.markgrace.com/backvariations.html

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
And I would think they didn't even know or care about the "INC/INC." variations, so looking for certain versions is pretty pointless.
I don't believe for a second that Leaf would purposely seek out variations to stamp and pack out, but to say it's pointless to search for a variation is a bit of reach - especially coming from a fellow 90's collector!

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I don't believe for a second that Leaf would purposely seek out variations to stamp and pack out, but to say it's pointless to search for a variation is a bit of reach - especially coming from a fellow 90's collector!

Obviously (or maybe not so obviously) I meant there's no point in trying to find stamped versions of each.

They are documented variations in Donruss & Leaf products of that time, so I can understand that some collectors are completists want to chase them. :thumbup:

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
I just received my 1/5 Butler. I was entering it into my site's database and was reminded that player collectors should be on the lookout for variations within the /5 buybacks - look for INC and INC. Some player collectors might get 'lucky' and find that Leaf purchased and stamped both variations.
I scored my players 2/5 and 5/5. I was shocked to see the:
2/5 is INC.
5/5 is INC
So as you mentioned above. It is possible to score the buyback variations with these.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Was a checklist for autos ever released? Picked up a Jesse Orosco for my Brewers collection, just stumbled across it and would like to know if I should be searching for others

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
I scored my players 2/5 and 5/5. I was shocked to see the:
2/5 is INC.
5/5 is INC
So as you mentioned above. It is possible to score the buyback variations with these.
Thanks for letting me know. I thought as much. Obviously that won't hold true for all players, as there's no way that Leaf went out and purposely bought each variation. It's all blind luck.

Members online