Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
mailin.jpg

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
So, how rare are those?
90srare1.jpg

Swing for the Fences Shop Exchange Cards

This 12-card set was created as a promotional tie-in for hobby shop owners, and was first released at the 1998 All-Star Game FanFest (which was sponsored by Pinnacle). Cards were subsequently distributed to shop owners, nationwide, in 10-card packs.

Collectors who purchased three packs of 1998 Pinnacle Performers could take the wrappers to their local participating Hobby store and receive a card. Those who purchased an entire box would get a 10-card cello pack. The cards parallel the standard Swing for the Fences inserts found in packs, except for the upgraded 20 pt. stock, silver "Matrix foil" background (similar to that year's Epix inserts) and lack of numbering on the card back.

The Matrix foil used is similar to the Swing for the Fences Upgraded cards. For help in properly identifying the Shop Exchange and the Upgraded cards, the website "Frank Thomas Collector" has compiled this visual guide.

Jeff Bagwell

Barry Bonds

Nomar Garciaparra

Juan Gonzalez

Ken Griffey, Jr.

Chipper Jones

Mark McGwire

Mike Piazza

Cal Ripken, Jr.

Alex Rodriguez

Scott Rolen

Frank Thomas

Last edited:

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
So, how rare are those?

A reliable source told me he believes there are 5 sets of this parallel and that these were printer's previews - he bought 5 Griffeys after Pinnacle's bankruptcy and has not seen another other than the one Joey mentioned. Not sure if he still has all 5.

I think the one going for $180 at auction was a product of bidders not having enough information on these.

Last edited:

Matthew J Burrows

Jun 7, 2016
Southeast Alaska
90srare1.jpg

Swing for the Fences Shop Exchange Cards

This 12-card set was created as a promotional tie-in for hobby shop owners, and was first released at the 1998 All-Star Game FanFest (which was sponsored by Pinnacle). Cards were subsequently distributed to shop owners, nationwide, in 10-card packs.

Collectors who purchased three packs of 1998 Pinnacle Performers could take the wrappers to their local participating Hobby store and receive a card. Those who purchased an entire box would get a 10-card cello pack. The cards parallel the standard Swing for the Fences inserts found in packs, except for the upgraded 20 pt. stock, silver "Matrix foil" background (similar to that year's Epix inserts) and lack of numbering on the card back.

The Matrix foil used is similar to the Swing for the Fences Upgraded cards. For help in properly identifying the Shop Exchange and the Upgraded cards, the website "Frank Thomas Collector" has compiled this visual guide.

Jeff Bagwell

Barry Bonds

Nomar Garciaparra

Juan Gonzalez

Ken Griffey, Jr.

Chipper Jones

Mark McGwire

Mike Piazza

Cal Ripken, Jr.

Alex Rodriguez

Scott Rolen

Frank Thomas

Awesome info as always Magic! Hoping an A-Rod shows up one of these days.

Quick question...where is the best place to post a wantlist? Would the B/S/T section be better than in this thread?

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I'd be willing to bet if you posted that in the McGwire thread you would have some takers for sure.. these jumbo's just don't pop up at all it seems except for the same few players

Agreed, the jumbo's are typically extremely difficult to find. They account for many of the few cards I'm missing in my mcgwire collection. When I started I always assumed they'd be the easiest to track down since nobody would want to store them :)

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Does any one know if the 1997 Circa Rave CL cards exist. I know they do not in 1998, but I am not sure about 1997.

according to Cardpedia..........

1997 Circa (produced by Fleer/SkyBox) is a 400-card set released in May, 1997

total cards / numbered /odds
Rave 400 150 1:30

Matthew J Burrows

Jun 7, 2016
Southeast Alaska
Been hunting for an A-Rod CL rave to show up. Did manage to find a 98 with some other nice pickups this month. The Ultra Diamond Immortals was a lucky pickup after missing out on one days earlier.

If anybody knows where a 99 Topps Chrome Fortune 15 refractor of Alex is please let me know. IMO they are some of the best looking refractors out there from the 90's!

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Been hunting for an A-Rod CL rave to show up. Did manage to find a 98 with some other nice pickups this month. The Ultra Diamond Immortals was a lucky pickup after missing out on one days earlier.

If anybody knows where a 99 Topps Chrome Fortune 15 refractor of Alex is please let me know. IMO they are some of the best looking refractors out there from the 90's!

nice pick ups,

Members online

Latest posts