Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Magazine/Book cuts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Would you consider this a "card"? For now I will call this a 1974 Baseball-For-Fans Pete Rose NNO. It is about 2" x 1 1/2" in size. Black and white magazine print/paper.

I found this today while looking through some stuff I had boxed up. This comes from a small pocket guide called "1974 Pitcher Performance Handbook". It was one of a series of similar guides published in LA by Baseball-For-Fans Publications.

I have a few of these guides and via a quick browse, didn't see any other dotted line photos with these guides. This may be the only one of it's kind in these publications. Of course, in the card world, that dotted line often signifies "cut me out and save me".

The back is regular text, so it does not have a traditional card appearance. I'm sure any hard core Rose fan would like it, but what about the rest of the collectors out there. I know if there was a Garvey, I'd be wanting one.

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
Consider it a card? No. They do, however, make nice additions to a player collection.

I was chasing a Dayton Daily News "card" of Nate Colbert for years.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Card, of course, is a broad term. There are a number of widely accepted "cards" that came from newspapers and such. Dayton, Detroit Free Press, etc. Having an actual matching back or a blank back seems to legitimize them more so than if they were just clipped out of the newspaper for fun.

I have these soccer cards that i clipped from the seattle PI back in 1979-80. I later found out (thanks to [MENTION=4035]DaClyde[/MENTION])that you were supposed to clip the newspaper card and take it down to a fire station and trade for the same card, but they gave you the actual card (much like the police sets of the same era). I like the newspaper version better, as it has to be much tougher to find now.

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
I don't consider them cards. Whats worse, is when people send them to TPG and then try to sell the on Ebay to unsuspecting collectors.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I'd def consider them a card / collectible . As you stated , the fact it has a info back makes it different than a picture cut IMO. But in my Clark collection I love oddball stuff and his 87 Mercury News "card" is one of my favorites. I can see why others may not like them , but if you know the source (where the item was inserted to/cut from) then I think it becomes something that can be on a CL.

Ryan

sschauer

Aug 7, 2008
Covington, KY
I'm on the fence does the back of it have Pete info on it or is just the next page of the magazine. I might say yes its a card if somewhere in the magazine it says cut out and save the cards. But if it doesn't and the back doesn't go with the "card" I'd go with just a photo with a dashed border.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I'd also go with poorly designed border. A cut out line is USUALLY thinner plus no info on the back....

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I misread and thought the back.did have Rose info/text. Prob more of just a cut photo and not to collectible , but knowing the source may help

Ryan

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
The Rose doesn't have a back. The back is like my soccer items, just whatever is printed on the opposite page.

Members online