Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Help me develop a "greatest hits" wax busting retrospective

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I did this once before, many years ago. I bought a bunch of boxes from a bunch of different years and had kind of a "memory lane" of wax busting. I am thinking about doing it again. I'd just like to hear from you all on what some of your favorite breaks were from the last decade or 2.

I'm thinking of boxes in the $50-$100 range with fun hits, but it could be crap at this point, or a lost Griffey hit that still holds its value.

Some examples would be Leaf Certified Materials (2002-2005), or Upper Deck Artifacts (2005-2007), or Donruss Threads, or Topps Turkey Red; etc.

What are your thoughts? I might be spending as much as $900-$1000 (yes, I could just be pissing it all away, but I don't care :p ).

Ghumbs

Oct 3, 2011
Seattle, WA
This could be an awesome repack idea if you wanted to make a sample of each box. Either way super cool idea. I think a good early Ginter box could be fun.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Second the idea of the 05 DK. Good stuff there! I also like Leaf Certified as well.

I think an early to mid 90's bust would be fun. Who were the hot rookies and whatnot. I remember pulling a 1992 fleer ultra Cal Ripken insert that booked(yeah...I said booked) $12. I was 9 and that was just the coolest thing ever! I think that would be neat to do.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
A coupla days ago an '01 SweetSpot box went for that price range, usually double it, but would still be fun.

And the two should be about $100 but someday I'm gonna do a '90 Leaf and '92 Ultra rip...:cool:

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
I think you hit the nail on the head with the 2002-2004 Leaf Certified, and 2005 UD Artifacts. The only one in your list I'd slightly advice against is the Topps Turkey Red I got a couple of those back in the day as a gift and hated them but it might have just been my bad luck but I also never liked those designs. I've done this a couple times before with around the same budget you stated and it's such a blast, have fun :). If you spend $1K the worst you could do is get $500 worth of stuff back IMO if you go with the products you gave as examples.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Getting a lot harder to find DLP boxes cheap. Would love a DLP break with products like Leather & Lumber, LCM, Playoff Honors, Donruss Champions, Donruss Elite, 05 Leaf, 05 Studio, etc.

Ct Sox Fan

Aug 20, 2008
Connecticut
I always enjoyed the 2006 Upper Deck Special FX breaks. Chance for the rare blue parallel. 5 autos (granted most are junk autos). I think if you can find them, it would be a fun break. Also, while not sure of the current price, I loved 2008 Upper Deck Baseball Heroes boxes. Lots of parallels, tons of good players on the check list. You could usually add a nice patch or auto from each box.

Good luck. I look forward to seeing what you buy and break!

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
if you're talking strictly baseball , a few products i'd love to break would include :

1994 fleer
1995 pinnacle
1996 pinnacle
1997 bowman's best
2002 bowman
2002 donruss originals
2002 topps chrome (especially series 2)
2002 topps206

Members online

Latest posts