Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Official Error and Variation Discussion/Reference Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
I'm assuming someone found a few of these without serial #s and made them into these "rare maybe 1/1 samples".

I suspect you're right. A blank version is more appealing than one somebody scribbled on to mislead eBay buyers. But even if they were originally factory replacements or extras that a company rep wrote on to hand out as samples... not highly desirable to me.

tavg

Nov 5, 2014
semo
went through one of my 1991 topps factory box sets and found these printing errors

theres a var with the tm erased and one with it....this looks half way erased

lots of spots and yellowing in the team/name

yellow in team name box, and white on the face

Last edited:

www.opcbaseball.com

Aug 18, 2013
Have 1988 OPC black backs been discussed in this thread?

http://www.opcbaseball.com/black-only-back/

14xgoes.jpg

We found a few more and they are now listed on the website

Thank you

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
A seller finally offered a best offer option for these. I had trouble pulling the trigger on his price for over a year on the lot because I had all the other cards already. I only had the gold foil "prototype logo" I did not have the "no prototype foil" variation. I was shocked when they showed up and there was a silver foil version and a no logo version. Are these rare? What is the hardest to get? I only have seen the gold versions. Anyone know these at all?
image-128.jpg

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
A seller finally offered a best offer option for these. I had trouble pulling the trigger on his price for over a year on the lot because I had all the other cards already. I only had the gold foil "prototype logo" I did not have the "no prototype foil" variation. I was shocked when they showed up and there was a silver foil version and a no logo version. Are these rare? What is the hardest to get? I only have seen the gold versions. Anyone know these at all?
image-128.jpg
[MENTION=2659]tpeichel[/MENTION] do you have info on these?

JohnMark

Jan 27, 2014
2013 Bowmans seem to have a ton of errors. I have a Brian Johnson with no Bowman logo and no name on the card.
Brian Johnson Error.JPG

heavy_hitter

Jun 26, 2009
I opened a box of 2010 UD baseball yesterday. Each pack had three cards without the gloss on the front of the card. The cards had more of a matte finish than the standard base set.

I'd look at them as a printing error/variation. I did manage to pull a Posey without the gloss.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
read through this thread yesterday (well , i admit i skipped over the old posts that only had broken links or missing pics after a sentence that said something like "i found these" or "is this a variation" with no details available) and i believe that a few of the items i talked about in my reply on the old beckett thread still have not been discussed here so......(since some of those were in direct response to other posts in that thread , i had addressed them with the corresponding post #....i'll leave those in my comments here so if anyone wants to go see more for themselves they can find them)

from post #366 (and discussed further in posts #367 , #370 , and #381 ) regarding watermarks on the backs of 1992 donruss....

'1992 Donruss with and without the Donruss "watermark" on the rear. Of the thousands of Donruss cards I've looked at, this Thomas is the only one I've seen without the "watermark." '

the watermarks are found on 1992 and 1993 donruss as well as 1992 leaf....some are very feint but if you hold the card at various angels they can usually be found without much trouble.....i just started looking for similar issues , but so far from my own experience (as well as the follow-up comments already posted) it seems to be a VERY rare occurrence (though i do have almost two more 5000-count boxes i can sift through to check for more).....while sorting my player lots for sale (so far i'm completed players beginning with letters A through P) , i've only found exactly ONE other instance of it thus far and it was not a 1992 donruss card.........mine is a 1993 donruss #553 ken griffey jr....i don't know if it's simply a missed step in the printing process as someone suggested or if it a legit variation , but in either case , if they are as rare as they appear to be it may be well worth searching all those 1992 and 1993 donruss and 1992 leaf common boxes....i can't even imagine the potential sales figures for a few certain players ....

a quick update on this "variation"....

you can add the studio set from either 1992 or 1993 - though i'd have to go get a box out to confirm which - to the list of sets that SHOULD have the watermark on back.....

so far i've only looked thorugh about 1000 cards from the sets that SHOULD have the watermark on them so i still have many many more to dig through , but i can report that of roughly 1000 cards checked out , i am now up to THREE without the watermark...don't have them here on my desk at the moment but when i can put my hands on them i'll come back and let everyone know who they are....

ragtop12

Jan 15, 2015
Inc vs Inc. variation not mentioned... only found this in a 1988 donruss mvp card

NameCardCard #
Don Mattingly1988 Donruss Bonus MVP's ("Inc" on Back)#BC21
Don Mattingly1988 Donruss Bonus MVP's ("Inc." on Back)#BC21
Baseball Cards

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
In sorting through a monster box of 90's cards to catalogue on Zistle recently, I noticed a minor variation among 1997 Topps base cards. They have gloss on the front over just the picture, not on the borders or player name. Some cards I've found have the gloss misplaced on the card front, partially over the name or otherwise out of whack.

Likely a worthless variation like the "no foil" cards but I thought it'd add it anyways.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
In sorting through a monster box of 90's cards to catalogue on Zistle recently, I noticed a minor variation among 1997 Topps base cards. They have gloss on the front over just the picture, not on the borders or player name. Some cards I've found have the gloss misplaced on the card front, partially over the name or otherwise out of whack.

Likely a worthless variation like the "no foil" cards but I thought it'd add it anyways.

I love no foil cards.

Members online