Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

After 12 years of searching, need help to complete set... turning to the collectors community

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

domino2012

Aug 17, 2008
Mourmelon le Grand, France
Hello all,
Ok, here's the deal... the set isn't anything spectacular but I started it in 2007 when the cards came out and I REALLY want to complete it.

2007 Finest BLACK REFRACTORS /99.
In 2006 I completed the Bowman White set (with all autos) /120 and wanted to complete a lower #ed set so in 2007 I started this one. I'm missing 7 cards that just NEVER show up on Ebay, marketplace, Amazon, COMC... NOWHERE to be found.
I am hoping that as I turn towards the collecting community here, perhaps someone might have one of the cards. (Even 1 I'd be happy)

31: Prince Fielder
35: Robinson Cano
49: Ivan Rodriguez
106: Chase Utley
136: Adam Lind
Finest Moments: Ichiro
Finest Moments: Manny Ramirez

They are #ed to 99.
If anyone has one of these and is willing to sell/trade... please let me know. Again, no "big deal" cards just IMPOSSIBLE to find.

Once I complete this set, I will go for a lower #ed set again (/50 perhaps)... even if it takes me 10 years LOL.

Thank you everyone! Have a great day!

Dominique

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
My favorite part of the hobby, low-print-run parallel set-building. Ever since they started making them, I've gravitated towards them. I can count on one hand the number of sets #/<100 I've completed. I would have to use my feet to count the ones I've started, and many of those, if I didn't give up in the first month, are down to single digit needs. What I've learned over the years is that card companies hold back some percentage of each set to be used in case replacements are needed, 6% is the number I was quoted about Topps, but I suspect they are uneven about it. They didn't keep 6 complete sets of black refractors, but probably 2 or 3 of some and 7-8 of others, zero of a few, likely commons. The rationale goes that they hold back stars because they're both the most likely to have replacements requested, and also they are expected to please people who request replacements for commons. "Sorry your Stank Beivert has a corner ding. To make up for it, here's a Greg Maddux instead."

Hate to tell you but an Utley was on ebay in November, probably a BIN that was hit immediately. And several were on COMC at one point. Can't help you on your quest, but just keep your eyes open and your searches saved and subscribed. But definitely reaching out to the collector community to build a network is the right way.

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL
Hello all,
Ok, here's the deal... the set isn't anything spectacular but I started it in 2007 when the cards came out and I REALLY want to complete it.

2007 Finest BLACK REFRACTORS /99.
In 2006 I completed the Bowman White set (with all autos) /120 and wanted to complete a lower #ed set so in 2007 I started this one. I'm missing 7 cards that just NEVER show up on Ebay, marketplace, Amazon, COMC... NOWHERE to be found.
I am hoping that as I turn towards the collecting community here, perhaps someone might have one of the cards. (Even 1 I'd be happy)

31: Prince Fielder
35: Robinson Cano
49: Ivan Rodriguez
106: Chase Utley
136: Adam Lind
Finest Moments: Ichiro
Finest Moments: Manny Ramirez

They are #ed to 99.
If anyone has one of these and is willing to sell/trade... please let me know. Again, no "big deal" cards just IMPOSSIBLE to find.

Once I complete this set, I will go for a lower #ed set again (/50 perhaps)... even if it takes me 10 years LOL.

Thank you everyone! Have a great day!

Dominique

As a former set collector I wish you the best. Finished the 1999 Bowman Chrome International Refractor set a few years back. It was a quite a run, and the hunt was incredibly fun. Good luck to you!

domino2012

Aug 17, 2008
My favorite part of the hobby, low-print-run parallel set-building. Ever since they started making them, I've gravitated towards them. I can count on one hand the number of sets #/<100 I've completed. I would have to use my feet to count the ones I've started, and many of those, if I didn't give up in the first month, are down to single digit needs. What I've learned over the years is that card companies hold back some percentage of each set to be used in case replacements are needed, 6% is the number I was quoted about Topps, but I suspect they are uneven about it. They didn't keep 6 complete sets of black refractors, but probably 2 or 3 of some and 7-8 of others, zero of a few, likely commons. The rationale goes that they hold back stars because they're both the most likely to have replacements requested, and also they are expected to please people who request replacements for commons. "Sorry your Stank Beivert has a corner ding. To make up for it, here's a Greg Maddux instead."

Hate to tell you but an Utley was on ebay in November, probably a BIN that was hit immediately. And several were on COMC at one point. Can't help you on your quest, but just keep your eyes open and your searches saved and subscribed. But definitely reaching out to the collector community to build a network is the right way.

I LOVE the chase... but it's frustrating as well. LOL. I decided not to start a new one until I finish the previous... but now it's taking quite some time. Hopefully I will find some soon.

domino2012

Aug 17, 2008
As a former set collector I wish you the best. Finished the 1999 Bowman Chrome International Refractor set a few years back. It was a quite a run, and the hunt was incredibly fun. Good luck to you!

Cool set. That must have been fun indeed. Thanks for the luck... it seems I'm going to need it. LOL.