Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mark Texeira to Retire At the End of the Season

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Press conference this afternoon to formally announce.

Sent from my XT907 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
15 years. After this season, it will be hard to miss him. This will open up some possibilities on the Yankees.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
He's made a mint, had some good years on good teams, and a great year on a WS champion. Only 36, but the only thing left for him is to compile his way to 500 homers or something, but that's not going to burnish his credentials, especially if he doesn't make it.

Personally, I always liked him, especially as he was one of the first big speculation scores I ever made. Bought 40 of his Fleer Tradition factory set RCs for $1 each, sold them for $8 each.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Announcing retirement with 80 games to go? Most wait until the season is over. I am trying to think of a player
that has done this before?

They've all been announcing it before the season and doing a farewell tour...Jeter, Mariano, Big Papi....et al

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
I think he just had enough and doesn't want people analyzing his performance as a pending free agent. If you watch the press conference you can see that. And honestly, you could see it earlier this week when yet another foul ball hit him in the leg. He's had it. Frustrated with all the injuries.

Yeah this year was tough but it's hard not to like the guy. It's not his fault he played for 4 teams. Traded twice before free agency.

And as an offensive force for a decade, a great defensive 1B, Yankee fans all love the guy, despite his recent down turn. Sure we wish for more, but that's always the case. It's not ARod.

But probably the best thing he's ever done?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcUBOGNLloU&list=PLv1deSlX-Y-GdJ-mQyVoOoX3nGOfO5ykE

(one of of 12 or so)
You're welcome.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
He was interviewed by Michael Kay and said that once it became clear the Yankees are not going to be pushing for a Championship this year, he felt that transparency was the best way to go. This way the Yanks can play the people they feel is best for the future, and everyone knows where things are at.

I'm not sure whether I fully get the perspective, but that's basically what he said.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Announcing retirement with 80 games to go? Most wait until the season is over. I am trying to think of a player
that has done this before?

todd Helton was classy, announcing like 2 weeks before the end of the season. Many other players like jeter and papi did it before the season, I can't think of one who has done it with so many games left to play instead of in the waning part of the season.

I think Tex should just retire immediately, the yanks pay the remainder of his salary due this season (and in future seasons if any), and let the Yankees figure out over the remaining 2 months or so if they have someone in-house that can handle 1B in 2017 or if it is something they'll need to trade/free agent acquire in the offseason.

Members online