Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Will the baseball nerds ruin the sport with cybermetrics and WAR stuff?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Sad to see so many upset that Cabrera was awarded the MVP. To see people so reliant on "THE NUMBERS" about this and that. Takes away from the game as a whole. Of course, that's just me and my opinion.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Sad to see so many upset that Cabrera was awarded the MVP. To see people so reliant on "THE NUMBERS" about this and that. Takes away from the game as a whole. Of course, that's just me and my opinion.

Verlander and Trout had the higher WAR yet lost the award race, Price was 3rd.

alwayson22

Dec 6, 2010
San Jose, CA
I don't see how computing a player's overall value "ruins the sport", especially since every front office uses advanced metrics to value players.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
No, they won't. It only takes away from the game if you let. Cabrera DID win the award this year, didn't he?

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Even nerds should be able to realize that a proper balance between cybermetrics and traditional metrics is necessary when evaluating anything.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
If WAR matters sooooo much, then just give the MVP to the person with the highest (qualified) WAR at the end of the season. No more voting.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I don't see how computing a player's overall value "ruins the sport", especially since every front office uses advanced metrics to value players.
Exactly. It is just another metric. Front offices would be foolish not to use them. And writers would be foolish not to value narrative. Nothing's ruined either way.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
If WAR matters sooooo much, then just give the MVP to the person with the highest (qualified) WAR at the end of the season. No more voting.
Right. Leading in WAR can be its own award. Let's continue to see who the writers vote for.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
WAR is a useful tool but it is not the be all that ends all. It is but one piece of the puzzle that should be looked at along with everything else.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
Until there are more meaningful ways to measure defense statistically WAR is flawed and shouldn't be used by itself for any meaningful discussions on who was more valuable as a player.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
Trout maybe the greatest thing since sliced bread but advanced stats haven't evolved far enough to dictate who had the better story like Cabrera's where he did nail down something which hasn't been done in 46 years.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts