Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jonathan Singleton suspended 50 games for marijuana

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
OK, my second question would be this - what about underage drinking? Why doesn't the MiLB care about that? Yet, we never hear of anyone getting busted for that. That's against the law too.

andy88c

Dec 21, 2012
Nashville, TN
Is it 50 games for any drug or is it more for harder drugs, the stuff that Hamilton and Allison were busted for--cocaine, meth, oxycontin, heroin, etc.?

Because it shouldn't be blanket for all. For the harder stuff, the actual legal consequences of possessing them is way more significant, too.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
Is it 50 games for any drug or is it more for harder drugs, the stuff that Hamilton and Allison were busted for--cocaine, meth, oxycontin, heroin, etc.?

Because it shouldn't be blanket for all. For the harder stuff, the actual legal consequences of possessing them is way more significant, too.

I think it's any drug including performance enhancing drugs such as steroids. And I agree - there should be varying levels of punishment.

alexs64

Jul 28, 2010
Moreno Valley, Ca
OK, my second question would be this - what about underage drinking? Why doesn't the MiLB care about that? Yet, we never hear of anyone getting busted for that. That's against the law too.

Pretty sure that is just a misdemeanor ticket.

So is under a certain amount of Marijuana in most places. But the fact remains that Marijuana is an ILLEGAL drug and alcohol isn't. Marijuana is against the rules of baseball and drinking a beer isn't. I hear what you are saying about different levels of punishment, but that means that there are different levels of illegal drugs. All are illegal and against the rules. Who is going to say what drug is should be considered worse than another?

Last edited:

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
I think it's any drug including performance enhancing drugs such as steroids. And I agree - there should be varying levels of punishment.
I think it should be the same regardless of the drug.

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
So do you add to your "stashes" since prices will drop and hope he doesn't continue to get caught or he eats to many Scooby snacks and makes Prince Fielder look like a weight watcher success story.

craftysouthpaw

Jan 8, 2010
Although the length of the suspension is the same, it doesn't kick in until the 2nd offense for a "drug of abuse" while the first positive steroid test triggers the vacation.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
No sympathy for Singleton, he knows the rules and he deliberately broke them.

Whether or not this was a FAIR punishment is a different story...especially considering it's the same suspension as it is for using anabolic steroids.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
No sympathy for Singleton, he knows the rules and he deliberately broke them.

Whether or not this was a FAIR punishment is a different story...especially considering it's the same suspension as it is for using anabolic steroids.
Agreed on all points.

This just makes me wanna shout at the Feds to legalize even louder. Then Singleton can fire up after a game and who cares.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Nope, no opinions that I wish to express. Not really sure what that has to do with this.
Only trying to point out that saying that an MLB player should get banned for 50 games because of the social ramifications of his marijuana use is absurd. Not only does MLB have much better ways of affecting real and lasting social change, but this method of attempting to do so would be inefficient at best and unjust at worst. Further, if these social ills of the drug trade concern you so much, do you really think that suspension from work for a user is the answer to those ills? You should be the biggest advocate of federal legalization of marijuana on these boards. Are you?

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Only trying to point out that saying that an MLB player should get banned for 50 games because of the social ramifications of his marijuana use is absurd. Not only does MLB have much better ways of affecting real and lasting social change, but this method of attempting to do so would be inefficient at best and unjust at worst. Further, if these social ills of the drug trade concern you so much, do you really think that suspension from work for a user is the answer to those ills? You should be the biggest advocate of federal legalization of marijuana on these boards. Are you?
Legalization is a completely different argument. The fact of the matter is is that right now these drugs are illegal. So if you purchase these drugs you are supporting the illegal drug trade and all of the corruption and murder that is associated with it. So, until the day that the stuff is made legal, the users need to be punished.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Legalization is a completely different argument. The fact of the matter is is that right now these drugs are illegal. So if you purchase these drugs you are supporting the illegal drug trade and all of the corruption and murder that is associated with it. So, until the day that the stuff is made legal, the users need to be punished.
No, legalization is definitely NOT a different argument, not when you are mentioning the social ills caused by drug trafficking as justification for a 50-day suspension for Singleton. I do not buy for one second that that is the reason that MLB gave this suspension. I think they did it simply because marijuana is illegal.

I have to ask again: are you for the federal legalization of marijuana? It seems you'd have to be, but you never answer the query.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
No, legalization is definitely NOT a different argument, not when you are mentioning the social ills caused by drug trafficking as justification for a 50-day suspension for Singleton. I do not buy for one second that that is the reason that MLB gave this suspension. I think they did it simply because marijuana is illegal.

I have to ask again: are you for the federal legalization of marijuana? It seems you'd have to be, but you never answer the query.
Yes, it would take a great deal of power away from the international cartels and the gangs and criminal orginazations in this country. I didnt say that was the reason the mlb has the suspension, but it is good enough reason for me.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Yes, it would take a great deal of power away from the international cartels and the gangs and criminal orginazations in this country. I didnt say that was the reason the mlb has the suspension, but it is good enough reason for me.
Well, I cannot bring myself to desire such drastic punishment for someone breaking what I view as an unjust and unnecessary law, one that has done much more damage than good, this particular suspension included. I dont think marijuana has anything to do with baseball. I think it's a performance impairing recreational diversion. I have no idea why MLB would institute such a draconian punishment for it.

Members online

Latest posts