Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1991 Topps Desert Shield Complete Set #1 On PSA Set Registry

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
$65,000 or so

That is amazing. 96% of that set in PSA10 has to be about 90% of the PSA10 population of that set period. I thought I was OCD but that's taking it to an almost untouchable level.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I think I read somewhere that very little of this product actually made it out to the troops. That makes sense, because they are not anywhere near as hard to find as the original distribution plan would typically provide for.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
I think I read somewhere that very little of this product actually made it out to the troops. That makes sense, because they are not anywhere near as hard to find as the original distribution plan would typically provide for.

I've read estimates that only about 20% of it actually made it out in the field. I know many, many cases sat on loading docks in various military installations waiting to be sent and never were.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
I think it "ended" last night, then goes into extended bid period for those who have already placed a bid.

Sent from my [device_name] using Freedom Card Board mobile app

no clue....

i just know that when took a peek earlier (at 5:01 AM) the listing had a live timer counting down that said the listing was ending in 13+ minutes...(which would have had it closing at 5:15)....looking at it now it notes that it closed on friday the 23rd with a final bid just north of 106k

edit to add...

just went back and found this :

2. Bidding - Bidding begins immediately upon the launch of the auction on our website. Preliminary bidding will end at 9:00 PM, EST on the auction closing date. To bid on a lot after 9:00 PM, EST you must have placed a bid on that lot prior to 9:00 PM, EST. Thus, if you are the only bidder on a lot at 9:00 PM, EST on the auction closing date you will be declared the winner. No retractions of bids are permitted. Once a bid has been placed, it may not be retracted. Bidding may occur in any of the following ways:

a) Online Bidding - Online bidding for registered users who have obtained a User ID and Password is available 24 hours. Beginning at 9:00 PM, EST on the auction closing date bidding will be extended in accordance with the terms of the "15-Minute Rule" with all items ending at the same time. After 9:00 PM, EST bidding will continue until no lots within the entire auction receive even a single bid for a period of approximately 15 minutes at which time the auction will officially close.

b) Telephone Bidding - Telephone bids will be accepted between 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM, MST, Monday through Friday at (303) 840-2784, except for the auction closing date when bidding will continue until 9:00 PM, EST and then for an indeterminate period in accordance with the "15-Minute Rule." The auction will close once no bids are received either online or by telephone for a period of approximately 15 minutes at which time we will stop answering the phone.

c) 15 Minute Rule Definition - The 15-minute rule means that starting at 9:00 PM, EST on the last day of the auction, the auction will close at 9:00 PM, EST as long as no bids are placed on any auction item within a 15-minute span. If no bids are placed during that 15-minute span of time on any auction items, the entire auction will close. If however a bid is placed within that time span on any auction item, the entire auction will stay open for another 15 minutes. This process will stay in effect until no bids are placed within a 15-minute time span on any auction item. To bid on a lot after 9:00 PM, EST you must have placed a bid on that lot prior to 9:00 PM, EST. Thus, if you are the only bidder on a lot at 9:00 PM, EST on the auction closing date you will be declared the winner. No retractions of bids are permitted. Please note: Based on past experience we expect the auction to continue past 3:00 am EST. Should the auction continue past 3:00 am EST and bids have slowed to a trickle there will be no public warning as to exactly when the auction will close.
d) Minimum Bids- Each and every lot within the auction does have a minimum bid designated in both the catalog as well as online. A very few of the lots in the auction have a reserve price (please note the vast majority of the lots within the auction do not have a reserve price) A reserve price is the confidential minimum price that a consignor will accept before they will sell the material, this means that a bid of equal or greater than the confidential reserve must be placed for a successful bid to be accepted on that lot. MHCC may implement this reserve by bidding on behalf of the consignor and may place a bid up to the amount of the reserve, by placing successive bids if necessary. In the limited instances where MHCC has a financial interest in a lot beyond our commission, we may place a bid to protect our financial interest. Reserves when in place will be pre-determined and set within the auction software prior to the start of the auction. Again, please note the vast majority of the lots in every auction will be offered without a confidential reserve in place. For all items in the auction (unless an item is withdrawn during the auction)without a reserve, they will be sold to the highest bidder at or above the minimum bid.

Last edited:

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Amazing set.. Now I need to start to look for PSA's of these cards.. I have the raw ones of Griffey, Edgar, etc..

I remember buying some packs at $50 per pack from one of the card shops I used to go to..

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
87k with just under 15 minutes to go.....

i do think 5:15 AM ET is a rather odd choice of ending times though....

Dang it jumped quicker than I thought. I saw the ending time too and thought that might hold it down a bit. I didn't realize there was the extending bidding period and all that.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Amazing set.. Now I need to start to look for PSA's of these cards.. I have the raw ones of Griffey, Edgar, etc..

I remember buying some packs at $50 per pack from one of the card shops I used to go to..

Dad and I passed up a case of it in 1995 or so for either $1,500 or $1,800. Wish I hadn't now.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Impressive set.

For those who aren’t looking to read the whole explanation about auction endings, many auctions end as follows:

1) at a certain time (often 9 or 10 PM on the night of the scheduled close) the basic bidding ends and you can only bid on listings you have already bid on.

2) after that the auction runs until no listing gets a bid for 15 minutes. Any time there is a bid, the clock resets to 15 minutes. Auctions often run anywhere from 3:00-6:00 AM.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
I'm not sure how bidding works for this site but was $106,475.78 indeed the ending price for this set?

Final prices include buyers premium: $106,475.78

If so, I almost feel like that's on the low end of this set's true value, based on both it's rarity and the fact that 96% of the set is graded PSA 10 on what is apparently a very condition sensitive collection. Comes down to roughly $130-$135 per card.

Members online