Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Adam Dunn says he's retiring after A's lose Wildcard game.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
I had to Google what you were referring to. Had no idea he made a cameo as the bartender in DBC. Saw a screenshot on there and I completely missed it when I saw the movie.
I remember during spring training when the white sox let him leave for a couple days so he could attend the academy awards. I'd imagine as a partial investor in the production company that did that movie, they're going to get lots of work in the future.

brian26

Nov 12, 2010
Fans booing him even when he did well. The hate for his 2011 season was revisited over and over.

Are you from Chicago? The fans were actually pretty kind to the guy when he did well. The boo-birds came out in the 2nd half of 2011 and this year when he was playing historically bad.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Outside of the title to this topic, where does Adam say he is retiring?
From Dunn's Twitter today. Now do you believe he's retiring, Juan Gris?
[MENTION=5222]adam[/MENTION]dunn_44
Well boys and girls it was a hellava time! I truly thank all you fans! Y'all made it worth playing. Thank You!!#phase2begins

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
Are you from Chicago? The fans were actually pretty kind to the guy when he did well. The boo-birds came out in the 2nd half of 2011 and this year when he was playing historically bad.
I'm from Ohio and live in Columbus. My favorite local sports talk show here is called Common Man and Company and the host, Mike "Common Man" Ricordati is a die-hard ChiSox fan. His pure hatred for Dunn was a favorite topic for fans to call in about since 2011. He doesn't speak for all the fans in Chicago (I know he still had a loyal fan base) but I can only imagine what it would be like to deal with people like Common Man day in and day out for 4 years. Sure, he gets paid to play baseball and shake off the criticism but everyone has a limit.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
From Dunn's Twitter today. Now do you believe he's retiring, Juan Gris?

@adamdunn_44
Well boys and girls it was a hellava time! I truly thank all you fans! Y'all made it worth playing. Thank You!!#phase2begins

I believed it when I saw that tweet 9 hours ago. :(

BUT I still think there's a small chance he could come back. You never know in this crazy world.

brian26

Nov 12, 2010
I'm from Ohio and live in Columbus. My favorite local sports talk show here is called Common Man and Company and the host, Mike "Common Man" Ricordati is a die-hard ChiSox fan. His pure hatred for Dunn was a favorite topic for fans to call in about since 2011. He doesn't speak for all the fans in Chicago (I know he still had a loyal fan base) but I can only imagine what it would be like to deal with people like Common Man day in and day out for 4 years. Sure, he gets paid to play baseball and shake off the criticism but everyone has a limit.

Dunn got off easy, trust me. The fact that he's actually a really nice guy, humble, and took everything with a self-effacing smile made it easier for him. The media handled him gently here, and the fans for the most part did not destroy him. He wasn't "treated poorly" here by any means though. I don't know who this radio host is, but he sounds like a tool.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
Dunn got off easy, trust me. The fact that he's actually a really nice guy, humble, and took everything with a self-effacing smile made it easier for him. The media handled him gently here, and the fans for the most part did not destroy him. He wasn't "treated poorly" here by any means though. I don't know who this radio host is, but he sounds like a tool.

I read a lot of negative press written about Dunn over the last 4 seasons. Many of these articles were coming from Chicago press, shouting every other day how signing Dunn was the biggest blunder in White Sox FA history or how Hahn should bite the bullet, trade Dunn and eat the salary. The Internet makes a big world small and, coming from a guy that follows Dunn like the stock market, he constantly got a lot of ****.

Common Man and Company is a fantastic radio show. The only thing I'd ever change is his public take on Dunn. Even then, I'd rather hear negative Dunn-talk then no Dunn-talk. :)

Apr 23, 2012
New Orleans
Sad to see him go. Pretty young and could still probably have some value as a DH / PH in the AL... Then again, that was a pretty rough run of seasons he just had... I'll just miss his extreme approach and power, he was fun to watch. All or nothing!

Members online