Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What do you envision the rest of Albert Pujols career will look like?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
He's 12 away from 500 homers and has another 8 years on his contract but is clearly not the player he used to be. What do you predict he will do going forward (either for specific seasons or career totals)?

(I'd write much more if I was not on my phone... Will add my thoughts later).

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
It will get brutal, quickly. No clue on the numbers, but they should ramp down even faster than they've been trending the past couple years.

The 5 most expensive years of the contract, Pujols will be covered with splinters and sores from riding the bench and the luster from his first 10 years will just continue to fade. Closer to HOF eligibility, I assume there will be a resurgence in interest in his career...but for the coming 10 years...he'll be viewed as the "Albertross" around the Halos neck, along with Hamilton following suit.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
The fans are already booing him.

Not a good sign.

It's not going to end well.

Had he stayed in St. Louis that NEVER would have happened. He would have been a God forever.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
The fans are already booing him.

Not a good sign.

It's not going to end well.

Had he stayed in St. Louis that NEVER would have happened. He would have been a God forever.

Still doesn't make much sense to me why he left, but he did what he did.

As long as nothing comes out about him linking him to PEDs, he's a guaranteed 1st ballot HOFer. I think he is having a bad year and will rebound either in the 2nd half or next season, although it's obvious that he is starting to get old.

Remember that he still put up 30+ homers and 99+ RBI in each of the last two seasons that his production has supposedly started to "fall off". It's yet another example of the Pujols stigma...he goes .325/40/120 for much of his career so then when he suddenly falls to .285/30/100 (which is still an All Star level of production), people start acting like the sky is falling.

exigussrex

Sep 17, 2010
los angeles
If his legs get better (i.e. if he gets placed on the DL soon), things may start to look up. Down the road it's going to be painful. Not looking forward to it.

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
I honestly believe after 500 Homeruns if he has 1 more lackluster year he will retire. However I feel we will see a resurgence in his numbers next season. His batting stance has changed and he is often late on average pitchers. When he becomes comfortable in his DH role and batting stance we will see glimpses of the old Albert Pujols. I believe Pujols will end his career with over 600 Homeruns, but never again will he be an MVP, Gold Glove, or Silver Slugger. He will not win another World Series and will be a first ballot Hall of Famer, in an induction ceremony I will be at. He may not be my favorite player anymore, however watching him every year he was in St.Louis is something I will talk about until I die. I have been a Pujols fan since 2001 before any of my friends knew who he was.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
That's his problem right now. He is too stubborn to take the time off to heal. Instead he is "playing through" and it is killing him. He is stubborn and has nobody there to MAKE him do what needs to be done.

nerdherd020

Feb 9, 2011
California
Multiple DL stints and zero World Series appearances. I wouldn't be surprised if he blows out a knee on the basepaths and is forced to retire. That's how shaky he looks running the bases the last couple of seasons. It looks like his legs could give out at any time.

CubsfanP

May 21, 2012
Greenwood, IN
I'm going to go against the mob and say that he will have at least 3-4 more productive years and then he starts to fade.

I truly believe he is just having a bad start to the year, next half of the season he will light it up like the Pujols we all know.

I'm saying this as a Cubs fan. I have absolutely every reason to hate him. I still respect the hell out of him and there is no way he is finished like the rest of you think. He ends up with over 700 Home runs, no doubt in my mind.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
He's played through serious pain for most of his career (like Mantle).
Imagine how incredible Pujols' stats would be if he had been healthy.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
For full disclosure, his stats have dropped in virtually every positive category (based on 162 seasons) since 2009. But we of course were dealing with some insane stats leading up to the decline so where we've fallen is hardly doomsday. However, the progression downward is absolutely of concern.

He's reaching for pitches, being less selective, etc. and these don't lend well to the belief that he'll turn it around. He has foot problems among whatever else, but the cliff is far closer than whatever "all star" years he may have in the tank. Should he be a first ballot guy? Yes, no doubt in my mind.

And anyone that thinks he'll voluntarily retire and walk away from any of the years in that contract isn't being honest. God didn't tell him to sign with Anaheim simply to walk away early, especially when there are paychecks to cash.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
If this is the beginning of a sharp decline Albert will not be a first ballot guy. His first half career numbers were incredible but 9 years of this or worse plus leaving StL for the money will diminish those accomplishments.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
Retire? are you guys insane?

why would he leave all that money on the table?

He said earlier this year, when he can't play any more, he will retire.
Some players care about their image. He has plenty of money and I
believe he agreed with the angels to stay in the org. after his contract.

There are many player who will stay for the money, I believe there are
a few who would retire, much like a Barry Sanders. I think guys like jeter
and pujols would walk away when done and leave money on the table.

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
This is why it's so important to have an accurate age of ball players. He's declining at an appropriate age for a person that is 3-5 years older than he claims to be. Unfortunate signing for the Halos.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Add his name to the long list called: "players who shouldn't have gotten a crazy long contract"

Right under hamilton & a roid

wildcat4

Aug 7, 2008
Southern Illinois
He'll finish with over 600 home runs, around 2,000 RBI, .300+ career batting average, and probably close to 3,000 hits, if not over that mark.
He's a definite first ballot Hall of Famer, and will go down as one of the best hitters to have ever played the game.

Members online