Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ouch Chances are this isn't real.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
Archie Bradley who participated in a private signing was offered $100 to sign the cards and he turned it down. He is pretty mad at Topps considering they did this with Sterling too and he was promised it wouldn't happen again.
I can respect that. At least he has his principles and sticks by them despite the promise of cash.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Very interesting. I never knew this was a set people were trying to collect with IP autos on each card... assuming that's the idea. What ever started this trend or why so many people doing this on the same set?

As for Dick passing away... I'm assuming that's right after the set was released, so has to be limited number of his cards IP auto.. wonder how many fakes are out there.

Mad props to the early 80's set collectors. A lot of them were ridiculed by their peers for defacing cards. Thats why you see a lot of 77-82 cards signed on the back. Also, there was no way to obtain signed cards you needed accept by mail letters or card shows.

87 Topps Traded Alan Wiggins could be harder to find. At that point in his life, he was in rehab and out of baseball. Then you got to factor in how many people actually bought the Topps Traded set and opened it to have them signed. I know I didnt open my set for 8 years lol

Other hard 80's cards hard to find signed are:

Win Remmerswaal (1981 Topps), who was out of baseball by 1980 and returned to his native Netherlands, before lapsing into a coma in 1997.
Joe DeSa (1986 Topps) who played his final game in 1985 and died in an automobile accident in San Juan, Puerto Rico on Dec. 20, 1986.

deaconblues63

Oct 25, 2012
Didn't someone on the old BMB have an interesting story about getting a 1984 Byron McLaughlin signed while he was a fugitive?

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
I had the same feeling when I saw it and started hearing about how rare the card is, how he doesn't sign, how you can't find them, etc. Just seems too good to be true... plus how many people would even know what they had if they had this card in a shoe box somewhere? Honestly, if I were to see that card at a flee market for a quarter, I'd pass it up thinking it was complete junk... just seems too good to be true.
It depends on what you are into. Some people are ink fiends (i used to be one) and can be pretty insane when it comes to finishing tough sets. (note - no offense in the least bit just an example) someone could say the same for a Belle 1/1 at a flea market but to you it has tremendous value esp. if its from a set you collect.

Even though my focus isn't 100% ink anymore i am much more into collecting autographs (mostly rc autos) than into collecting one guy.

Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
rickywright.jpg

trauty

Oct 8, 2010
I thought the holy grail of the 87 set was Dick Howser (or some manager) because he died like 2 weeks after the set went to market.

He was alive for around 6 months after the set went live. There was a dealer that had a private signing with him right before Spring Training in 1987 (when Howser was still planning on a return to the Royals) and had at least 100 of the 1987 Topps card signed, so they are out there.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Didn't someone on the old BMB have an interesting story about getting a 1984 Byron McLaughlin signed while he was a fugitive?

Back in the mid 90's, there was a dealer who used to set up at one of the large Rhode Island shows who had a few 5K boxes full of IP/TTM autos. I grabbed a few from him (Concepcion and Garvey on 1977 Topps, a few dead players like Bo Diaz), and I distinctly remember him telling me about tracking down Byron McLaughlin in Mexico and getting an IP auto. He allegedly lives near Cannes now, so if anyone's planning a trip to France, better pack a few McLaughlins (just in case).

ignition

Jul 29, 2010
I had the only known example of a ***** Leaguer's signature and they somehow managed to authenticate it. Who knows.

I would imagine that the ***** Leauger of which you speak and these other uber-difficult signers signed SOMETHING in their lifetimes that PSA can compare their sigs to whether they be contracts or something else.

Apr 13, 2010
Interesting read on Byron McLaughlin, who was arrested for importing counterfeit trainers and money laundering.

GPC signed by BYRON McLAUGHLIN, 1980, SUPER TOUGH (03/30/2010)

I think that the writer watched too many movies, but still an entertaining read. Seriously though, some guy did track McLaughlin down in Mexico (mentioned in posts above). Anybody remember the Beckett article from the 90's on a complete signed Donruss set the guy completed? It was the last page in the magazine and there were pictures of signed Diamond Kings.

Members online